944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How to remove/replace the wiring harness in a 90 S2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 216 Posts
Default How to remove/replace the wiring harness in a 90 S2

My harness needs to be replaced due to some melted wires. I feel I know the answer, but do I need to remove the heater box to accomplish it?
Old 08-03-2023, 05:11 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 213 Posts

You didnt specify whether its the chassis harness or the engine harness, or a sub component harness (injectors, speed/ref sensor harness). The engine harness comes through the firewall down into the footwell where the DME is, youll need to pull the harness from the footwell through the hole in the firewall and then remove every plug from every sensor on the engine and snake all the wires out from among the various components. Youll basically trace everything from the DME plug and snake it out. It may require removal of the main dash as well. Replacement is reverse of that.

Chassis harness is going to require removal of carpet, dash, etc.

Either one is going to likely require a good deal of work, unless this is just a sub piece of the harness, such as the injector harness or reference sensor harness/wiring to DME - both are commonly replaced. Or you may consider just re-running the melted wires if thats even an option.

Heres a good video that may help

Last edited by walfreyydo; 08-03-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Duh it would be good to know which one. It’s the alarm control module that has melted some wires due to a short. I’ve got the dash off, but the harness is routed behind the heater box so I can’t say for sure where the melted wires stop and I could splice in.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:43 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 213 Posts

Sounds like the heater box needs to come out and I would recommend if at all possible, to splice new wires in (with solder or professional crimping, along with heatshrink) vs replacing the entire harness for the car. Unless the damage is more substantial than those few wires. Also given its the alarm unit, you may want to just get rid of that entire system, since these are highly problematic due to their age and cause all sorts of no start conditions. Most people disable/bypass them anyways.

Im sure youve seen this but posting in case you havent
http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/elect-23.pdf
Old 08-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Also given its the alarm unit, you may want to just get rid of that entire system, since these are highly problematic due to their age and cause all sorts of no start conditions. Most people disable/bypass them anyways.
I had seen the DIY on Clark's garage, but have read that it only applies to early models, and would cause a short on later models. Mine is a 90 S2.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:47 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

Or bend a small sapling over, tie a rope to the harness end you want to remove and let it go…
Old 08-09-2023, 04:43 PM
Tom Loder
Burning Brakes

Well, I have some good news. I was able to remove the blow motor cage and can access the harness from the engine bay. Thankfully the melted wires did not go much further than I could see from under the dash.
Of course there was some bad news as well, but nothing fatal. I discovered some deteriorating wiring in the engine bay next to the battery, as well as the airbag module connection.

Quick Reply: How to remove/replace the wiring harness in a 90 S2