944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

86 NA throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 AM
Kevin Cederquist
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 86 NA throttle body question

I'm back begging for some info. Trying to eliminate my many vacuum leaks. After building an adapter to pressurize my vacuum system at about 5psi, I found numberous small vacuum leaks. Most specifically at the thermo sensor/switch, the ISV, the venturi, and of course the throttle body. I ordered a throttle body reseal kit from Arnnworx, and this is where I'm a little confused. The instructions are pretty clear on what to do, but they talk about the thin washers on either side of the throttle body shaft, just outside of the needle bearings. I have arrows pointing to where they "should" be (obviously behind the casting that's annoyingly in the way, sorry about that) in this photo below, per the Arnnworx instructions.

The instructions talk about ensuring the thin washer that is on the spring side be kept in the same position. My problem is I don't seem to have a thin flat washer on that side. (I'm not talking about the serrated washer under the nut on top of the cam).

I have the thin washer on the bottom side of the shaft, the side that goes into the TPS. But not on the top. Can anyone who has experience with these throttle bodies confirm that I'm missing a thin washer on the top, or were some of these different. The kit didn't come with these washers, so if I'm supposed to have one and don't, I guess I'll need to find one. Hoping someone can help me out.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:28 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 531 Posts

Let me offer a different alternative, since you have the throttle body off the car:

Send it out to MaxBore to open it up a little bit and include the option to get the pivot pin reduced in diameter. All the work will pretty much require a rebuild of the parts you're talking about and you can get someone else to do it for you, and end up with a little more juice for your car, so to speak.

If you go the standard route, what does PET say? If you include your model year you might get a little better input from folks.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2021, 10:43 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 287 Posts

The throttle plate and shaft will need to be removed.
As for power gains from the throttle body on an otherwise stock engine, the only thing I would imagine to be effective would be installing a NO2 spray bar.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Cederquist (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Kevin Cederquist
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Let me offer a different alternative, since you have the throttle body off the car:

Send it out to MaxBore to open it up a little bit and include the option to get the pivot pin reduced in diameter. All the work will pretty much require a rebuild of the parts you're talking about and you can get someone else to do it for you, and end up with a little more juice for your car, so to speak.

If you go the standard route, what does PET say? If you include your model year you might get a little better input from folks.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to do everything I can on my own. I have a machine shop and can do most fabrication work that's needed. I already have the butterfly and shaft out. Just trying to find out if I'm missing a washer, since I can't seem to find a good exploded diagram of the throttle body that includes the seals and washer on the shaft.

I did put in the title when I made the post that it is an '86 NA. Is there more model-identifying info I should have included? I guess it's a 5 speed, with phone dials. I think they call it kalahari gold?

Last edited by Kevin Cederquist; 01-06-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:25 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Ah, you're right, it was in the title and I just skipped right over it. That should be enough for the gurus to chime in and give you proper guidance on this issue.

If you think it would be helpful I have my TB off my car and easily accessible (still in the bag from MaxBore, in fact) and can take some pictures. I think I can see what you're asking about but given that it's from a different model year I don't know that it will be definitive for you. I wouldn't expect that this aspect would be so massively different between years but you can let me know.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2021, 06:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

FWIW, i tested the maxbore 60mm TB vs stock 944 55mm on the dyno.
0 gain at any RPM - it is not a limiter.
The following users liked this post:
Gage (01-11-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

@V2Rocket : Did it change the shape of the curves at all? That's mostly what I thought it affected, not max HP or Torque.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
@V2Rocket : Did it change the shape of the curves at all? That's mostly what I thought it affected, not max HP or Torque.
No, no change at all.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

@V2Rocket : Thanks, I found a YouTube video in the mean time that shows exactly no gains from a TB alone, just like you said. My memory is going, I swear.

Quick Reply: 86 NA throttle body question