944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 01:05 AM
Ian Thompsen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 speakers

I'm 16 years old and am super stoked to have the 1984 944 as my first car! And like all teenagers, I want really loud and crisp speakers that sound good and work well with this specific car. Does anybody know of any specific speakers/stereos that would fit in the given 4x6 speaker slot?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:50 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats on the super-cool retro car,. My 16-year old son drives one of ours and gets all the chicks. Or so he says. He also wanted to upgrade the stereo, and we did some research and came to the conclusion that without serious surgery in the interior, the 4x6 cutouts in the rear just aren't large enough to push any serious volume. As for the stock front cutouts, the relatively thin doors do not allow for a particularly robust speaker. So the only real solutions are smaller directional trebles up front and in the rear seats with some additional larger speakers in a housing in the hatch. Another solution could be a directional setup with bass mounted in an enclosure where the rear seats are. The seat fold down section could be removed and a new housing built. Once you start construction, about anything goes. Just make sure you keep it all secured in the event of an accident.

In the end we went with a higher powered head unit and some nice 3 ways in the 4x6 cutouts with the front door housings cheated out a bit. It wont win any audiophile awards, but it is way better than stock!

There are a bazillion posts on stereo upgrades, so check these and good luck!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:05 AM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted a similar request 6months ago and bought these at the recommendations. I have not installed them yet.
Name:  photo92.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  929.2 KB
Old 11-12-2020, 05:01 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

You need to check the depth of the new speakers. The internal clearance inside the doors is where most speakers wont fit. Rears are pretty OK.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:13 PM
jbraveman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These will fit in the doors without any modifications. Sound is not great.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...nt=31324813518
Old 11-22-2020, 06:06 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed these in the front of my S2. They fit well under the factory grills.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Regardless of which speakers you choose or how much you spend on them, 4x6s are not going to provide much performance if you're really looking for a good sound with some bass. Some of the later cars have a cut-out for a 6" speaker in the rear (below the rear windows), but you likely don't have that option in your '84. You could modify this area for a 6" speaker as there is ample space here, but even 6" mids are not going to adequately balance your sound. You need a sub.

I was disappointed with the sound in my 944 after I upgraded the front and rear with expensive 4x6s. I later splurged for a subwoofer installed in the passenger-side trunk cubby. It was an expensive upgrade, but it was also a MASSIVE improvement to the sound. I bought the enclosure from KLA after trying and failing to build something similar myself ;-) and followed their recommendations for the amp and 8" subwoofer.

https://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm

I installed the amp under the glove box but you have some options (in the glove box, under the seat, in the driver's side cubby, in the spare tire well). It's a very clean installation with nothing floating around in the back seat or in hatch area. I did remove the foam rubber from the bottom side of the trunk carpeting where the subwoofer sits just to have the carpet sit flush. Otherwise, you wouldn't even know it's there.

I really can't adequately express how much better it sounds with the sub.

Last edited by Braymond; 12-08-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh... and congratulations on your first car! You are very fortunate to have such cool parents to allow you a classic European sports car in high school. Don't make them regret it ;-)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:48 PM
Todd0000
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PO had some Kicker 4x6 two-ways and I had to bend the metal around the upper edges to get them to fit in the door holes. Modern speakers are more robust than factory stuff. Some day we will replace the rear speakers. I'm adding an $80 dollar powered 8-inch sub behind the driver's seat and calling it done. Another thought if you don't want to cut anything is a "sound bar" box in the rear for mids, highs, and their amp, plus a sub box and its amp???

Quick Reply: 944 speakers