944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Need help with suspension/ sway bar ID

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 04:00 PM
RHorseUSMC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with suspension/ sway bar ID

Hello all - new to the forum! My son and I recently began work an '84 944 that he saved up and bought a few months ago. We started with the engine work and fixing some bad oil leaks and then replacing some of the fuel lines. Now that she is running good we are starting to tackle the suspension. What I can't figure out is the front sway bar and whether or not its aftermarket or from another Porsche model. Option code M404 is not listed on this car but it does have a front and rear sway bar. The rear is a 14mm with drop links and the front measures 25.5mm. How it's mounted to the vehicle is different than any of the OEM ones that I have seen. We were originally just going to replace the front one with all of OEM mounting hardware and use a 21.5 or 23mm but since this one is larger we thought we might as well try to figure out what it came off of. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-11-2020, 02:13 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

That looks like the bar on my chevy truck. It is not from a 944 and probably not for a 944.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:53 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Doesn't look stock. Also doesn't look like any aftermarket ones I've seen.

Anyway, the brackets look rusted to bits and you should ensure there is no damage or cracks at the frame rail - it is an issue with larger front swaybars.

And make sure your jackstands are quality! Regarding of course the Harbor Freight recall - although I think the same company makes a bunch of stands under different names.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:03 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Anyway, the brackets look rusted to bits and you should ensure there is no damage or cracks at the frame rail - it is an issue with larger front swaybars.

And make sure your jackstands are quality! Regarding of course the Harbor Freight recall - although I think the same company makes a bunch of stands under different names.
IMO, I would recommend ESCO Jack stands with round pads to place under the lift points in the front. Much more stable.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RHorseUSMC
How it's mounted to the vehicle is different than any of the OEM ones that I have seen.
Take a few photos that show the orientation of the brackets that connect the bar to the chassis.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:00 PM
RHorseUSMC
4th Gear

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
IMO, I would recommend ESCO Jack stands with round pads to place under the lift points in the front. Much more stable.
The car is actually up on ramps. The jack was simply raising the vehicle suspension enough so I could to the fuel line clips. The jack stands was just there for even more protection. I'm all about safety! One of these days I'm going to just buy a lift lol.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:07 PM
RHorseUSMC
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Still very solid at the frame rails. At this point we are going to remove this one and install a genuine Porsche bar. I wanted to make sure the current one wasn't some high end style bar or something lol.
As far as the jack stands, the car is actually up on ramps. It was just there for added safety while a raised the suspension up a bit. I've had those stands for almost 15 years and not from Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: Need help with suspension/ sway bar ID