Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Brought home for the first time.

 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
  #16  
SteveG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SteveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 5,944
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you can do that w/ a phone, I want to see what you do w/ an SLR! We love pics. You will be popular here; Porsche **** .
SteveG is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM
  #17  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
- The parking brake does not beep, so if you have a beep, it must be something else that causes it.
Really? Because jiggling the button and lever for the brake is what makes it go off. I taped the button with electrical tape and that worked for a while (tape not strong enough). It sounds like what in other cars would be a seat belt ping, but it's German so who knows.

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
- The cabin lights - at least in my 91 model - use the same fuse as the instruments. Do all of your instruments work? If any don't work, check the fuse.
No, all instruments work fine. No cabin/overhead or dash lights at all though, and the light **** on the floor to the left of the driver's seat doesn't do anything. I hadn't driven it at night until yesterday so that wasn't known. The headlights and foglights all work fine too.

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
- When you say you need a wheel balance - is the steering wheel shaking, or the whole car? At what speed range?
Feels like mild shaking between about 65-75. Smooths out after that, which leads me to think wheel balance or tire wear for one of the fronts. I'm hoping to get some 17" BBS Sport Classics (the 996 style) later in the summer so I'd rather not replace tires yet if possible.

Originally Posted by tv View Post
that you would make such a wise choice of possible 928's. You musta been doing a LOT of lurking/reading here.
I've read the various 928 threads on Fchat and started reading here again just a few weeks ago. It was kind of serendipitous that I found this manual 928 with such low mileage locally while I was looking for a fun summer car - I *almost* bought a Mondial coupe from SoCal last month but chickened out. Since this was less than 1/2 the price of the Mondial, I could get a major done and fix up some stuff and have cushion to spare. The shop that did the work is actually a friend and client of mine, so they cut me a huge deal on the cost.

Oh, and I am crazy enough that I want to daily drive it! But I knew that an 86 stored for so long would need some TLC and be something of a project at first

Nicole asked for an interior pic. Interior is in great shape, seats look very low mileage, back seats look never used. Only very mild leather warp on the dash around the glove box, but with no pulling anywhere except for the trunk which needs stretch/staple. I have the A/C **** but I didn't put it back on before this pic.

Aside from the no dash lights, other interior to-do's:
- shift boot is in nice condition but pulled loose, need to re-attach
- steering wheel is tight left/right but has about 2mm of play up/down, need to figure out how to tighten that
- restaple trunk leather
- new, darker tint for windows
- figure out how to make the door speakers work (only rear seat speakers work), or otherwise I'll put in new speaker system
- driver door seat release switch missing the plastic peg
Attached Images  
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM
  #18  
fraggle
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fraggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 3,395
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The dial next to the ebrake may be the fader, give it a twist. If it is a light switch, this may be a euro with the manual headlight adjusters. Take a pic and show us what's there!
fraggle is offline  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
  #19  
tv
Super User
 
tv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: southern new england
Posts: 2,738
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post

this was less than 1/2 the price of the Mondial, I could get a major done and fix up some stuff and have cushion to spare.

Oh, and I am crazy enough that I want to daily drive it!

.Interior is in great shape, seats look very low mileage, back seats look never used.
The only thing crazy is how inexpensive these great cars are. You will probably learn how much better than those others that have a horse on the hood also.

As for daily driving, don't know your commute in Vegas but if it has stop and go or slow city streets you may become disenchanted with the car, at least that is how it often works. These cars were made for the autobahn and they excel at that sort of thing and handling curvy sections. They also don't like sitting in hot stagnant air.

After everything is sorted mechanically you can begin to get to know it's abilities. A member here, Porken sells chips and other items that will perk up the engine even more. Some new wheels are being developed that may appeal to you.

So far I would say you lucked out on this purchase.

The vibration if it is felt thru the steering wheel is most likely a rebalancing item or if felt thru your butt may be one of a number of things including TT but at such low mileage I believe it will be simple, even flat spots.
tv is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 AM
  #20  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Has anyone mentioned that when releasing the clutch in reverse, it seems like the car wants to go about 20mph backwards?
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 AM
  #21  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fraggle View Post
The dial next to the ebrake may be the fader, give it a twist. If it is a light switch, this may be a euro with the manual headlight adjusters. Take a pic and show us what's there!
Fixed that - turns out the solution was "turn the dial under the left of the cluster back and forth quickly a bunch of times." :P
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
  #22  
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Silly Valley, CA
Posts: 25,350
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
Really? Because jiggling the button and lever for the brake is what makes it go off. I taped the button with electrical tape and that worked for a while (tape not strong enough). It sounds like what in other cars would be a seat belt ping, but it's German so who knows.
This is interesting... there is no beep to my knowledge, except for not wearing your seat belt. How this may be connected is a mystery at this time.

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
No, all instruments work fine. No cabin/overhead or dash lights at all though, and the light **** on the floor to the left of the driver's seat doesn't do anything. I hadn't driven it at night until yesterday so that wasn't known. The headlights and foglights all work fine too.
I would remove the light fixtures one-by-one and check them out, starting with the one above the rear view mirror. It's possible it may fall apart in your hands, or it may be so slightly buckled that it doesn't make contact. But if there is no power, you'll have to trace it to the fuse box and go from there.

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
Feels like mild shaking between about 65-75. Smooths out after that, which leads me to think wheel balance or tire wear for one of the fronts. I'm hoping to get some 17" BBS Sport Classics (the 996 style) later in the summer so I'd rather not replace tires yet if possible.
That's fairly typical for 928s - all three of mine have done this more or less, and even new tires will not make this go away permanently. Nobody seems to know why this happens, though.

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
Nicole asked for an interior pic. Interior is in great shape, seats look very low mileage, back seats look never used. Only very mild leather warp on the dash around the glove box, but with no pulling anywhere except for the trunk which needs stretch/staple. I have the A/C **** but I didn't put it back on before this pic.
That looks very nice! I see the leather pulling away from its core - typical for Porsches of that age, because of the glue they used at the time. I wonder, if this could be re-glued before it's too late. You may ask Rob Budd from classic9leathershop, if that's possible.

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
- steering wheel is tight left/right but has about 2mm of play up/down, need to figure out how to tighten that
This could be an issue with the adjustment mechanism, or the steering column bearing. The latter is unlikely at that low mileage.

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
- restaple trunk leather
Once it shrunk and pulled-away, it's kind of hopeless... You may be better off having it redone in vinyl, so it won't dry and shrink again.

Most importantly: keep the sun out of your interior! You may consider getting a set of fitted window shades for all of your windows. You can search for "Heatshield" here on this board - you should find some pictures of what they look like. I carry them in my online store, but that's not why I recommend them to you - I really think it will help your black leather last longer.
Nicole is offline  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
  #23  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

First off, thanks so much for your responses! This is a great community.

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
This is interesting... there is no beep to my knowledge, except for not wearing your seat belt. How this may be connected is a mystery at this time.

I would remove the light fixtures one-by-one and check them out, starting with the one above the rear view mirror.
After reading for a few hours last night on different issues, I'm 90% sure it's the "dome light grounding" issue and fuse #24 that's affected. There are at least three others who had this recently.

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
This could be an issue with the adjustment mechanism, or the steering column bearing. The latter is unlikely at that low mileage.
It was actually just a lose bolt for the wheel itself. I read here, went and bought a 27mm socket and was able to tighten it up in about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Most importantly: keep the sun out of your interior! You may consider getting a set of fitted window shades for all of your windows.
Yeah, I'm also going to get a dark tint ASAP. They're pretty mellow about tint in Vegas.
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
  #24  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Replaced both cats yesterday, that got rid of the strong smell during and after driving. Also made it more the exhaust more resonant and 5-10db louder.
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 PM
  #25  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VegasGnome View Post
Welcome! Great to see another shark in Vegas.
We'll have to go 'drive cars' together sometime. I work downtown if you ever want to grab lunch.
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
  #26  
MainePorsche
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
MainePorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Country
Posts: 5,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Re the shake at 65mph, make sure your lug nuts are all torqued down appropriately. 96 ft-lbs. It's a little thing often overlooked.
Car looks great !
Best wishes.
MainePorsche is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
  #27  
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Silly Valley, CA
Posts: 25,350
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ryalex View Post
Also made it more the exhaust more resonant and 5-10db louder.
That's at least 5 extra horse power right there!
Nicole is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
  #28  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
That's at least 5 extra horse power right there!
Actually I'm now freaked out because the smell is gone but the car is hesitant and feels down 100hp. No joke. Pushing the gas at 2000rpm and instead of surging forward it feels tepid and weak.
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:49 AM
  #29  
ryalex
User
Thread Starter
 
ryalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ugh. It's worse than I described - I must be down 200hp... I just went around about 6 miles and it took me about SIXTEEN seconds to get to 60mph. It could barely go faster even in third.
ryalex is offline  
Old 06-16-2013, 04:13 AM
  #30  
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Silly Valley, CA
Posts: 25,350
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I suggest you start a separate thread: "Lost power after cat replacement".
Nicole is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brought home for the first time.


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: