Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 Wrist watches (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/501897-928-wrist-watches.html)

jsherid1 05-20-2009 12:10 PM

I'm in if it looks good.

ew928 05-20-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom. M (Post 6582206)
.....Club sport rim for the background... subtle H4 lens outline scribed into the crystal, leather wrapped metal wristband,.....and a big exclamation point somewhere to remind us of our 928's :D

Erm, rubber wrapped kevlar wristband with the round (sorry OB guys) teeth of the timing belt raised pattern.
Teeth facing in for cooler wrist.
Or teeth facing out for design distinction.

Tom. M 05-20-2009 12:42 PM

Heck..use all the old timing belts for the wrist bands...good idea Ern..

cold_beer839 05-20-2009 02:49 PM

I'm interested.

SharkSkin 05-20-2009 03:17 PM

You could get a pic of the headlight area, sort of like Randy's avatar but pan to the left(or right) a bit. If you frame it right it would be MY-agnostic(but use a car with 8" H4's :p )

ew928 05-20-2009 04:08 PM

So you don't want the DOT 8" style with the aiming nipples on the watch crystal.

SharkSkin 05-20-2009 04:19 PM

Full disclosure -- I'm not going to buy a $300 watch any time soon, no matter how awesome.

But yeah, avoid the H5's not only on the car but on any collector stuff related to the 928. They suck.

Alan 05-20-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ew928 (Post 6583093)
So you don't want the DOT 8" style with the aiming nipples on the watch crystal.

Yep - no nipples - its a family show...

I'd favor a simple classic design, not too much clutter, not too wierd - I do like the idea of the band in the style (approx) of a timing belt (outside).

Alan

pcar928fan 05-20-2009 11:47 PM

WOW! This thread has really taken off and gone back and forth...

The horologist/jeweler friend of mine IS a 928 owner (S4) and posts here from time to time...He met with the reps today for the company that we will be doing this through.

The case is 40mm or 42mm I can't remember, true/real Carbon Fiber face, auto winding movement and it looks like the price is going to come in at $525. I know that will run more than a few of you off. We are looking for the minimum run of 100...

More to come...hope we can pull this off.

SteveG 05-21-2009 11:25 AM

Jim: We have a rendering from (almost) everyone but you. I exaggerate. What we've seen and heard decsribed so far is very "swatch" and I'm losing interest. I realize this is not your fault, you are trying to offer something of value. I'm just saying from a marketing standpoint that a rendering at the get-go is better than this free for all. Good luck.

S4ordie 05-21-2009 11:39 AM

+1

I'm just saying from a marketing standpoint that a rendering at the get-go is better than this free for all
Would be good to have three, or more, conceptual themes to look at. From this, collect comments/recommendations that ultimately drive the final design.

shmark 05-21-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SharkSkin (Post 6582944)
You could get a pic of the headlight area, sort of like Randy's avatar but pan to the left(or right) a bit. If you frame it right it would be MY-agnostic(but use a car with 8" H4's :p )

No way, I like the chrome rings!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...100_2049-1.jpg

pcar928fan 05-21-2009 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 6585454)
Jim: We have a rendering from (almost) everyone but you. I exaggerate. What we've seen and heard decsribed so far is very "swatch" and I'm losing interest. I realize this is not your fault, you are trying to offer something of value. I'm just saying from a marketing standpoint that a rendering at the get-go is better than this free for all. Good luck.

With comments like this I can see why Dan said F-it!

You know it was not my objective to waste the time of the horologist or the manufacturer if there was no interest at all in this... I was not around for the first round, but clearly this will take more intestinal fortitude than I had anticipated...

"Swatch like"... Since when did Swatch start selling autowinding $500 watches??? I could send you to the website to check out the "normal" offerings of this company now, but choose not too... I am not trying to "offer something of value" to anyone either. I would like a "928" watch that looks good and will look good on my wrist and in the case with my other 20+ watches, I just need to find 98 other people who want a cool quality piece too or I can't afford to have my own 928 watch... I won't be making a DIME off this...it is not a business for me in any way...Just thought a few of you guys might like a 928 watch too is all.

Not to mention I am not asking for your money sight unseen. You will see the rendering when it is done. We have decided to go ahead and have that done and then see where we end up... OR, Steve and Dan H you are welcome to make your own rendering to show off, since you seem to know so much about this whole watch thing than me...

SteveG 05-21-2009 06:31 PM

Jim: I thought crediting you with " . . . producing something of value" was a postive statement. I see you don't take it that way, sorry for the vaguery. Fair enough. "If it looks good, I'm in." Good luck.

But if it's swatch-like, I'm out. :bowdown: :eek:

pcar928fan 05-21-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 6586854)
Jim: I thought crediting you with " . . . producing something of value" was a postive statement. I see you don't take it that way, sorry for the vaguery. Fair enough. "If it looks good, I'm in." Good luck.

But if it's swatch-like, I'm out. :bowdown: :eek:

Steve, thanks didn't read it the right way.

If I even THOUGHT this was going to be SWATCH like, I wouldn't be wasting my time or yours! That said, even the Quartz version of this companies standard watches ROCK! Love the look of them. I and the 928 enthusiast horologist will make sure that when we have a good dial design you will see it here first! We will make them go back if the first version does not rock...