85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Reload this Page >

85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download

Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download

Reply

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM
  #1  
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike Frye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jersey Shore, USA
Posts: 8,799
Default 85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download

OK, so I recently did a Top-end refresh on my '85 and helped someone (ok watched someone) do their 86.5 (Adam). And took lots of pics and did a write-up of what we did.

If you're interested, here's a link to the download. It's a 21 page .pdf document with some pics.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6yc2u

If you like it, please make a donation to Project Rennwish in the amount you think it's worth.

The download link is a free service through something called sendspace so if the link gets broken or the file is unavailable please PM and I'll post it up again either there or somewhere and get you a link.

Also if you find anything inaccurate or that you think should be added or removed from the document, please PM me or e-mail me and let me know, I may have later versions of this.
Mike Frye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:38 AM
  #2  
ROG100
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
ROG100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Double Oak, TX
Posts: 15,178
Default

Mike,
I am so glad there are clever people like you around who enjoy putting detailed documents together like this.
Thank you,
Roger
__________________


Does it have the "Do It Yourself" manual transmission, or the superior "Fully Equipped by Porsche" Automatic Transmission? George Layton March 2014

928 Owners are ".....a secret sect of quietly assured Porsche pragmatists who in near anonymity appreciate the prodigious, easy going prowess of the 928."
ROG100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:54 AM
  #3  
Landseer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Landseer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 11,126
Default

Good Man! Thanks, Mike. Need this for the 86, wife is very worried about me doing surgery on this car of "hers". Now I can say "I read the instructions".

Will make a donation. Very interesting concept.
Landseer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
  #4  
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike Frye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jersey Shore, USA
Posts: 8,799
Default

Originally Posted by ROG100 View Post
Mike,
I am so glad there are clever people like you around who enjoy putting detailed documents together like this.
Thank you,
Roger
Thanks Roger, I couldn't have done the job right without the FI kit you put together or the parts list you set up for my MY. The Video version of this write-up is almost done being edited.

Originally Posted by Landseer View Post
Good Man! Thanks, Mike. Need this for the 86, wife is very worried about me doing surgery on this car of "hers". Now I can say "I read the instructions".

Will make a donation. Very interesting concept.
Chris,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't consider myself an expert by any means. The work I did for mine has been done and documented by many people on here, I just pulled together some pictures and my experiences. Most of what's written in there will (I think) help a newbie because I am one and I know what things gave me trouble.

The difference between documentation written now and the WSM is that now people can say things like, 'If the valley hasn't seen the light of day for 20+ years, you will probably need a shop vac for the acorn shells and chipmunk turds in there, but also the rubber air guide standoffs are probably fossilized so you'll need new ones(3). The one on the passenger side is a different part number and is longer by 5mm...'
Mike Frye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 PM
  #5  
Jadz928
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jadz928's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Frankenmuth, Michigan
Posts: 8,308
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Frye View Post
The difference between documentation written now and the WSM is that now people can say things like, 'If the valley hasn't seen the light of day for 20+ years, you will probably need a shop vac for the acorn shells and chipmunk turds in there, but also the rubber air guide standoffs are probably fossilized so you'll need new ones(3). The one on the passenger side is a different part number and is longer by 5mm...'
I know... and that is why the FSM is not to my liking. I use it becuase I have to, but prefer searching RL for fine docs like yours and others.
Jadz928 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
  #6  
SteveG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SteveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 5,724
Default

Mike: Not to rain on a great service, but I can't get this b/c I suspect the size. And I'm wondering why you put it on a third-party commercial site and not on Rennlist in the tech deparment, since that is what a Rennlist membership is for?? And what we need to have on-site when we keep after these newbies to join up. With you and Dwayne documenting these procedures we have some great stuff available. Alas.
SteveG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
  #7  
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,271
Default

"Alas." ?! If this kind of documentation is available, and one goes through Rennlist to get it, how in the world does the download URL figure into whether 928 newbies will get attracted to the Forum? I don't see that it loses one whit of its value. Also, "suspect the size"? Maybe we need checksums for everything, but I just don't see it. Mike has done a great service, no need to nitpick. Just my opinion, and you may have very good arguments to the contrary, so please don't take this personally.

And Mike, donation to Rennwish on the way, and many thanks!
M. Requin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
  #8  
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
Mike Frye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jersey Shore, USA
Posts: 8,799
Default

Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Mike: Not to rain on a great service, but I can't get this b/c I suspect the size. And I'm wondering why you put it on a third-party commercial site and not on Rennlist in the tech deparment, since that is what a Rennlist membership is for?? And what we need to have on-site when we keep after these newbies to join up. With you and Dwayne documenting these procedures we have some great stuff available. Alas.
First of all, thanks . I don't think my write-ups are in the same league as Dwayne's. But here's the story of this thing: I wrote it in Word and it's pretty big no matter how you slice it. It would be even more of a PITA if I had to upload it all as a write-up in a single thread (which may or may not come up in your searches).

I wasn't sure what my audience was going to be and contemplated selling it to pay for my parts addiction. In the end I decided it wasn't really anything original or new, but rather a concise write-up for reference that included info gathered here and elsewhere. If the file size is an issue and the third party download site (which is free) are an issue I can send it on a CD or print it and mail it to you if you like, but I'd ask you to cover the costs of same, which would probably cut into the whole 'Rennwish' theme I was trying to work on.

If someone wants to convert this thing to some format that would be part of the archives here, that would be fine and you have my permission to do so (since this is more or less where I got all the info ). I just don't have it in a form that would do that easily.



Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
"Alas." ?! If this kind of documentation is available, and one goes through Rennlist to get it, how in the world does the download URL figure into whether 928 newbies will get attracted to the Forum? I don't see that it loses one whit of its value. Also, "suspect the size"? Maybe we need checksums for everything, but I just don't see it. Mike has done a great service, no need to nitpick. Just my opinion, and you may have very good arguments to the contrary, so please don't take this personally.

And Mike, donation to Rennwish on the way, and many thanks!
Thanks man, much appreciated!
Mike Frye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM
  #9  
SteveG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SteveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 5,724
Default

Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
"Alas." ?! If this kind of documentation is available, and one goes through Rennlist to get it, how in the world does the download URL figure into whether 928 newbies will get attracted to the Forum? I don't see that it loses one whit of its value. Also, "suspect the size"? Maybe we need checksums for everything, but I just don't see it. Mike has done a great service, no need to nitpick. Just my opinion, and you may have very good arguments to the contrary, so please don't take this personally.

And Mike, donation to Rennwish on the way, and many thanks!
Allow me to clarify:

Alas, I can't receive the file, b/c it is 50 KB and the firewall won. I am not bashing Mike, but Dwayne's fine write-ups were not problem. I will stop trying to "suspect" why, but Dwayne's were posted here and I simply printed them out.

As to how newbies get attracted to rennlist: in a word "content." This content is not available to me. Gee, EXCUSE ME. It's not nitpicking to me A lot of people don't "search" b/c it is time consuming; and I don't know when the technical area was last updated (eons ago and I doubt it is going to happen under the new admin), but as it is, there are at least 3 (good) places to look for tech advice besides here. When was the last time you looked in the tech dept?

I won't shill for rennlist anymore.
SteveG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
  #10  
[email protected]
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Wilbraham, MA
Posts: 2,757
Default

There is also a tech article section in the 928oc.org forum for members. Sorry, I don't have unlimited bandwidth, so it is restricted to members. With Mike's permission it is mirrored there as well: 928 OC Technical Article Forum
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
  #11  
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,271
Default

Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Allow me to clarify:

Alas, I can't receive the file, b/c it is 50 KB and the firewall won. I am not bashing Mike, but Dwayne's fine write-ups were not problem. I will stop trying to "suspect" why, but Dwayne's were posted here and I simply printed them out.

As to how newbies get attracted to rennlist: in a word "content." This content is not available to me. Gee, EXCUSE ME. It's not nitpicking to me A lot of people don't "search" b/c it is time consuming; and I don't know when the technical area was last updated (eons ago and I doubt it is going to happen under the new admin), but as it is, there are at least 3 (good) places to look for tech advice besides here. When was the last time you looked in the tech dept?

I won't shill for rennlist anymore.
No problems! I believe I did note that you might have good arguments behind your statements. But as to the tech area, you answered your own question I think. I haven't visited it in several months (at least), and that's because it isn't frequently updated, so why bother. All my other comments were just nitpicking
M. Requin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
  #12  
wrighty
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Mike was nice enough to forward me a copy of his write-up. I have found the write-up to be a very valuable tool. After I had done a fairly exhaustive search on the R&R topic I ended up contacting Mike about his particular work. Without any hesitation Mike was willing to send me a copy and did not expect a thing in return. I feel that anyone thinking of doing a R&R on an 85-86 should start with Mike's document. Mike, himself, admits that it is a work in progress and is not perfect but it is one of the best resources for this topic that I have seen. Mike, thank you! Be proud knowing that you have helped the 928 community.
wrighty is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: