Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/455584-85-86-top-end-refresh-write-up-available-for-download.html)

Mike Frye 09-20-2008 09:14 AM

85-86 Top End Refresh write-up available for download

OK, so I recently did a Top-end refresh on my '85 and helped someone (ok watched someone) do their 86.5 (Adam). And took lots of pics and did a write-up of what we did.

If you're interested, here's a link to the download. It's a 21 page .pdf document with some pics.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6yc2u

If you like it, please make a donation to Project Rennwish in the amount you think it's worth.

The download link is a free service through something called sendspace so if the link gets broken or the file is unavailable please PM and I'll post it up again either there or somewhere and get you a link.

Also if you find anything inaccurate or that you think should be added or removed from the document, please PM me or e-mail me and let me know, I may have later versions of this.

ROG100 09-20-2008 10:38 AM

Mike,
I am so glad there are clever people like you around who enjoy putting detailed documents together like this.
Thank you,
Roger

Landseer 09-20-2008 10:54 AM

Good Man! Thanks, Mike. Need this for the 86, wife is very worried about me doing surgery on this car of "hers". Now I can say "I read the instructions".

Will make a donation. Very interesting concept.

Mike Frye 09-20-2008 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ROG100 (Post 5826389)
Mike,
I am so glad there are clever people like you around who enjoy putting detailed documents together like this.
Thank you,
Roger

Thanks Roger, I couldn't have done the job right without the FI kit you put together or the parts list you set up for my MY. The Video version of this write-up is almost done being edited.

Originally Posted by Landseer (Post 5826418)
Good Man! Thanks, Mike. Need this for the 86, wife is very worried about me doing surgery on this car of "hers". Now I can say "I read the instructions".

Will make a donation. Very interesting concept.

Chris,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I don't consider myself an expert by any means. The work I did for mine has been done and documented by many people on here, I just pulled together some pictures and my experiences. Most of what's written in there will (I think) help a newbie because I am one and I know what things gave me trouble.

The difference between documentation written now and the WSM is that now people can say things like, 'If the valley hasn't seen the light of day for 20+ years, you will probably need a shop vac for the acorn shells and chipmunk turds in there, but also the rubber air guide standoffs are probably fossilized so you'll need new ones(3). The one on the passenger side is a different part number and is longer by 5mm...'

Jadz928 09-20-2008 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Frye (Post 5826954)
The difference between documentation written now and the WSM is that now people can say things like, 'If the valley hasn't seen the light of day for 20+ years, you will probably need a shop vac for the acorn shells and chipmunk turds in there, but also the rubber air guide standoffs are probably fossilized so you'll need new ones(3). The one on the passenger side is a different part number and is longer by 5mm...'

I know... and that is why the FSM is not to my liking. I use it becuase I have to, but prefer searching RL for fine docs like yours and others.

SteveG 09-22-2008 12:30 PM

Mike: Not to rain on a great service, but I can't get this b/c I suspect the size. And I'm wondering why you put it on a third-party commercial site and not on Rennlist in the tech deparment, since that is what a Rennlist membership is for?? And what we need to have on-site when we keep after these newbies to join up. With you and Dwayne documenting these procedures we have some great stuff available. Alas.

M. Requin 09-22-2008 12:52 PM

"Alas." ?! If this kind of documentation is available, and one goes through Rennlist to get it, how in the world does the download URL figure into whether 928 newbies will get attracted to the Forum? I don't see that it loses one whit of its value. Also, "suspect the size"? Maybe we need checksums for everything, but I just don't see it. Mike has done a great service, no need to nitpick. Just my opinion, and you may have very good arguments to the contrary, so please don't take this personally.

And Mike, donation to Rennwish on the way, and many thanks!

Mike Frye 09-22-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 5831155)
Mike: Not to rain on a great service, but I can't get this b/c I suspect the size. And I'm wondering why you put it on a third-party commercial site and not on Rennlist in the tech deparment, since that is what a Rennlist membership is for?? And what we need to have on-site when we keep after these newbies to join up. With you and Dwayne documenting these procedures we have some great stuff available. Alas.

First of all, thanks :). I don't think my write-ups are in the same league as Dwayne's. But here's the story of this thing: I wrote it in Word and it's pretty big no matter how you slice it. It would be even more of a PITA if I had to upload it all as a write-up in a single thread (which may or may not come up in your searches).

I wasn't sure what my audience was going to be and contemplated selling it to pay for my parts addiction. In the end I decided it wasn't really anything original or new, but rather a concise write-up for reference that included info gathered here and elsewhere. If the file size is an issue and the third party download site (which is free) are an issue I can send it on a CD or print it and mail it to you if you like, but I'd ask you to cover the costs of same, which would probably cut into the whole 'Rennwish' theme I was trying to work on.

If someone wants to convert this thing to some format that would be part of the archives here, that would be fine and you have my permission to do so (since this is more or less where I got all the info :)). I just don't have it in a form that would do that easily.

Originally Posted by M. Requin (Post 5831240)
"Alas." ?! If this kind of documentation is available, and one goes through Rennlist to get it, how in the world does the download URL figure into whether 928 newbies will get attracted to the Forum? I don't see that it loses one whit of its value. Also, "suspect the size"? Maybe we need checksums for everything, but I just don't see it. Mike has done a great service, no need to nitpick. Just my opinion, and you may have very good arguments to the contrary, so please don't take this personally.

Thanks man, much appreciated!:thumbup::cheers:

SteveG 09-22-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by M. Requin (Post 5831240)

Allow me to clarify:

Alas, I can't receive the file, b/c it is 50 KB and the firewall won. I am not bashing Mike, but Dwayne's fine write-ups were not problem. I will stop trying to "suspect" why, but Dwayne's were posted here and I simply printed them out.

As to how newbies get attracted to rennlist: in a word "content." This content is not available to me. Gee, EXCUSE ME. It's not nitpicking to me :thumbup: A lot of people don't "search" b/c it is time consuming; and I don't know when the technical area was last updated (eons ago and I doubt it is going to happen under the new admin), but as it is, there are at least 3 (good) places to look for tech advice besides here. When was the last time you looked in the tech dept?

I won't shill for rennlist anymore. :eek:

Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net 09-22-2008 03:07 PM

There is also a tech article section in the 928oc.org forum for members. Sorry, I don't have unlimited bandwidth, so it is restricted to members. With Mike's permission it is mirrored there as well: 928 OC Technical Article Forum

M. Requin 09-22-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 5831446)
Allow me to clarify:

Alas, I can't receive the file, b/c it is 50 KB and the firewall won. I am not bashing Mike, but Dwayne's fine write-ups were not problem. I will stop trying to "suspect" why, but Dwayne's were posted here and I simply printed them out.

As to how newbies get attracted to rennlist: in a word "content." This content is not available to me. Gee, EXCUSE ME. It's not nitpicking to me :thumbup: A lot of people don't "search" b/c it is time consuming; and I don't know when the technical area was last updated (eons ago and I doubt it is going to happen under the new admin), but as it is, there are at least 3 (good) places to look for tech advice besides here. When was the last time you looked in the tech dept?

I won't shill for rennlist anymore. :eek:

No problems! I believe I did note that you might have good arguments behind your statements. But as to the tech area, you answered your own question I think. I haven't visited it in several months (at least), and that's because it isn't frequently updated, so why bother. All my other comments were just nitpicking :thumbup:

wrighty 09-22-2008 10:58 PM

Mike was nice enough to forward me a copy of his write-up. I have found the write-up to be a very valuable tool. After I had done a fairly exhaustive search on the R&R topic I ended up contacting Mike about his particular work. Without any hesitation Mike was willing to send me a copy and did not expect a thing in return. I feel that anyone thinking of doing a R&R on an 85-86 should start with Mike's document. Mike, himself, admits that it is a work in progress and is not perfect but it is one of the best resources for this topic that I have seen. Mike, thank you! Be proud knowing that you have helped the 928 community.

rmatos 07-12-2018 02:14 PM

Can you repost your top end refresh article, thanks

Dundertaker 12-22-2018 12:08 PM

Repost of Frye guide?

can someone repost a copy of the guide???

ROG100 12-22-2018 12:13 PM

Send me an email at Roger@928srus.com and I will email you a copy.