Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Would pan gasket change be easy if in two pieces (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/334955-would-pan-gasket-change-be-easy-if-in-two-pieces.html)

Ted928 03-04-2007 10:22 AM

Would pan gasket change be easy if in two pieces

I have not changed my gasket (not yet leaking) but I have read that the change is very involved. Would it be straight forward if the cork gasket was in two pieces?
If so, has anyone tried it?

heinrich 03-04-2007 10:44 AM

how would it seal? It hardly does it in one pices right now. I don't think you'd buy anything at all with a 2-piece gasket because a one-piece can go where a 2-piece could under all circumstances. it's just a big cork lasso.

Garth S 03-04-2007 11:14 AM

It can be done by cutting the gasket ..... and this has held for ~3 years without a drip.
However, it you have a newer car with the tube type oil pickup ( vs the built in screen on the early 16v motors), the same method can be used to loop a gasket under the tube without cutting the gasket .... or snaking your arm in to unbolt ( whoops - dropped the 'effin bolt :rolleyes: ) the tube. :)

JP Rodkey 03-04-2007 11:17 AM

Famously, that gasket wants to push outward from the block and pan halves - sorta like a hamburger in a bun. IMO, attempting to cut the gasket would just about guarantee failure.

JP Rodkey 03-04-2007 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Garth S
It can be done by cutting the gasket ..... and this has held for ~3 years without a drip.
However, it you have a newer car with the tube type oil pickup ( vs the built in screen on the early 16v motors), the same method can be used to loop a gasket under the tube without cutting the gasket .... or snaking your arm in to unbolt ( whoops - dropped the 'effin bolt :rolleyes: ) the tube. :)

I did remember someone(s) had done it. Good to know it's working out well for you. I get a bit anal about such things, and would likely be a bit paranoid (frequent checking and otherwise fretting a bit). More of a mental thing than anything else.

Garth S 03-04-2007 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JP Rodkey
I did remember someone(s) had done it. Good to know it's working out well for you. I get a bit anal about such things, and would likely be a bit paranoid (frequent checking and otherwise fretting a bit). More of a mental thing than anything else.

The good thing is that there is zero pressure on this gasket - so as long as they are not over torqued, the glued gasket will be stable.

From one of my early careers in nuclear/chemical industry, it is common practice to cut and end glue O-rings in place for pressurized ancillary services.

Mike Frye 03-04-2007 11:48 AM

From one of my early careers in nuclear/chemical industry, it is common practice to cut and end glue O-rings in place for pressurized ancillary services.
You didn't work for NASA by any chance, did you? :icon501:

Just kidding. It just seems counterintuitive to put a crease in a gasket that's got a bolt every 3 inches in an effort to maintain even seal/pressure.

I have considered snaking it around everything to see if it would work, but not cutting it.

marton 03-04-2007 01:13 PM

HTML Code:

I have considered snaking it around everything to see if
it would work, but not cutting it.

Yes, I have thought that woud be an easier approach; the "new" gaskets are relatively flexible.

Marton

Garth S 03-04-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by NJSharkFan
You didn't work for NASA by any chance, did you? :icon501:

Just kidding. It just seems counterintuitive to put a crease in a gasket that's got a bolt every 3 inches in an effort to maintain even seal/pressure.

I have considered snaking it around everything to see if it would work, but not cutting it.

This works for O-rings .
Basically the same for flat gaskets .... cut for max surface area and butt splice to not increase gasket thickness - no crease involved.
On your '85, I would snake the gasket under the pick-up: cannot do that on earlier cars ....

heinrich 03-04-2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Garth S

Why not just fit the oil pan through the big hole in the gasket?

alex70 03-04-2007 02:37 PM

NJ - it that a real short wheel version of the 928? neato.

On the pan gasket seperation, can we utilize the a similar method as surgeon's for tendon repair, split, cut, interwoven, and obviously not stitched. Simplicstically, you know kind of like 2 L's placed together to accomodate for the pressure on mounting and still maintain a good seal?

SharkSkin 03-04-2007 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by heinrich

Now there's an idea -- Should definitely work with a RealGasket, though doing it with a cork gasket might be a bit more challenging. Too easy to break at one of the bolt holes...

Schocki 03-04-2007 03:33 PM

There is no need to cut the gasket as there is no need for a cork gasket anymore.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/237875-first-928-oil-pan-sealed-with-gasket-from-realgasket.html

Pan can stay below the motor with the snorkel attached, easy enough...

Garth S 03-04-2007 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by heinrich

The top of my X-member was not surgically clean .... so I would hesitate to drag a gasket through there; however, it is a good idea! :)

heinrich 03-04-2007 06:17 PM

One's member must be kept clean.