Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Dash Cracked? Here's How to Fix (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/150402-dash-cracked-heres-how-to-fix.html)

Weissach 08-05-2004 03:36 PM

Dash Cracked? Here's How to Fix

Well, this is the fourth dash I have done. I feel I must share because, you can't buy new dashes and this is the only permanent way of fixing it(and it looking good) .

It's very simple, it's just like doing bodywork on a car. It's easier actually.

1. Sand down the entire dash real good.
2. Use fiberglass reinforced bondo on the entire thing.
3. Sand it down real smooth, make sure you keep the dash contours(don't go crazy here).
4. After it's sanded down perfectly, time to texture. Here is the easiest part of all. SEM's texture spray is amazing. You only need a little and anyone can get a perfect finish.
5. Color match to your car.

The texure is like a pebble finish that looks better than the factory grain. It just has a newer feel to it.

Here are some pictures. Yes, I removed the factory holes(defrost vents). Pictures don't do it justice! :p

Weissach 08-05-2004 03:37 PM

one more

Weissach 08-05-2004 03:39 PM

Last one

Bill Ball 08-05-2004 04:03 PM

Do you do anything to the cracks, such as open them up to better fill with the Bondo? Do you apply the Bondo as if you were doing a car body?

If the repair is durable, you could have a pretty good side business opportunity. Most of the other dash repair materials are plagued with adhesion problems such that the cracks eventually reappear. Dan Brindle did a lot of trial and error development including leaving the repaired units outside in the blazing sun for months before he settled on a pod crack repair process that he deemed to be reliable.

This is the first time I've heard of using Bondo for this purpose. If it works, you should receive an award from the 928 owners club.

Weissach 08-05-2004 04:28 PM

Just sand down the cracks. If you use the fiberglass reinforced bondo(not the normal one), it will grab to the entire dash. If the dash is really beat up, throw down a layer of fiberglass. Then use the fiberglass reinforced bondo.

I did it for a friend who could not find a dash without cracks. This is my fourth dash. The second dash I did has been sitting in a parked car for at least two years(here in miami). This is as permanent as it gets.

I don't want to make any money on this. I just want to share with you guys how easy it is to do.

athenian 08-05-2004 05:01 PM

Your "reworked" dash looks good on the photos - how does it look up close as compared to the rest of the interior panels?? Does the texture match the door panels, for example??

Questions:

- Can the procedure be done without taking the dash off the car?? I know it will be a bit messy, but I'd rather take out the seats and the center console than the dash itself...
- Which grade sandpaper are you using for this ??? Wet/dry??
- What do you mean - "....bondo the entire thing"?? Just the cracks or the entire dash??

Thanks for the write-up - VK

heinrich 08-05-2004 05:13 PM

Nice from afar :)

Weissach 08-05-2004 05:22 PM

Trust me, it's perfect up close. I'm VERY picky. That's the reason I haven't wraped any of my dashes in leather. Leather never comes out 100% perfect, even on brand new cars.

The grain is not the same as the rest of the interior. It looks like it's off a newer car. I'll try to take some up close pictures...

mpesik 08-05-2004 05:31 PM

Is it a dust catcher? How difficult is it to clean? Mike.

Greggles 08-05-2004 05:38 PM

After seaching for a solution for a cracked dash we're really left with the following options.

1. Buy a recycled dash and waiting for it to crack $400+
2. cover it w/ leather $250 - $400 + 4 hours
3. Use JustDashes (or someone similar) $650
4. A plastic cap $130 - that seems quick, inexpensive, but yeilds questionable results

A $25 bondo solution - priceless

Anyway- I'm willing to jump in head first on this. Thx Weissach

Please give us a little more detail on the sanding technique

Weissach 08-05-2004 05:52 PM

As far as cleaning goes, it should clean up just like the rest of the interior. If you use leatherique, they don't recomend usind anything like Armorall. If you use SEM paints, then it's okay to use Amorall.

Here are some more pics. It's hard to take pictures up close with my camera(doesn't show good detail). The first two are with the flash off, the third with flash. It's hard to see, but the grain is allot nicer than factory. Sorta looks more "expensive".

Oh yeah, more more thing. It should read:

1. $8 Bondo
2. $13 quality sanding paper
3. $9 SEM texture finish
4. $7 SEM color of choice
5. a little bit of patience
6. allot of love

Arno 08-05-2004 06:13 PM

Thanks this is what I am doing now with my dash,I now think that is will work.

Joe '87 S4 08-05-2004 06:18 PM

It looks really nice. I'm tempted to buy a really cheap, cracked dash just to try it out. My current dash is a good quality used one but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it starts to crack.

Greggles 08-05-2004 06:21 PM

Ok- Before I get too excited and screw this up. Help me out.
I have several hairline and two larger cracks.

Bondo the entire dash or just the cracks?
Sand before & after bondoing?
Recommended grain of sandpaper?
Use Fiberglass bondo?

Rob Roy 08-05-2004 06:33 PM

I did this to my dash also. I ground out the cracks to get more bonding surface area. I used the Kitty hair - fiberglass resin mixture. I then used a truck bedliner textured spray to get the texture, followed by a coat of SEM camel color paint to match the new leather I am using. I've still to do the pod, but the results make it look better than new.