Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

WTB: Flappy valve shaft plastic colllar

 
Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM
  #31  
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Luis A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 593
Default

Hey Roger or Sean, any update on the fit of the 3D printed collars? Thanks!
Luis A. is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 11:05 PM
  #32  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,409
Default

Originally Posted by Luis A. View Post
Hey Roger or Sean, any update on the fit of the 3D printed collars? Thanks!

Sorry man, I keep forgetting to ask Roger about them when I'm getting parts. I'm meeting a customer over there in the morning and will try to remember again.
SeanR is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM
  #33  
ROG100
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
ROG100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Double Oak, TX
Posts: 15,606
Default

They finally arrived on Saturday- mailed on 11/26 - must be the Christmas post.
Sean will get them today.
__________________


Does it have the "Do It Yourself" manual transmission, or the superior "Fully Equipped by Porsche" Automatic Transmission? George Layton March 2014

928 Owners are ".....a secret sect of quietly assured Porsche pragmatists who in near anonymity appreciate the prodigious, easy going prowess of the 928."
ROG100 is online now  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM
  #34  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,409
Default

And I looked at them and promptly left them on the desk. They looked great though. Rog, please put them in my box of bits for Alex.
SeanR is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM
  #35  
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Luis A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 593
Default

Hi guys, Here is the conclusion with the fitment notes of the 3D printed shaft spacer/collars. First, let me say how impressed how I am with this community, this effort being a reflection of that. I participate in several other vintage car online forums but this has to be one of the most, if not the most resourceful, warm and helpful of all. In that sense, it bears a strong resemblance to the BMW 2002 FAQ community but the complexity of the 928 makes this one stand out even more. So thanks to Nate, Roger Sean for jumping on this is as you did.

Here is my assessment of the collars. They fit well in every way except they need to have the height trimmed by slight sanding on a flat surface somewhat as shown on the diagram, This height is critical so that the shaft can sufficiently protrude on the other end to be able to expose the slot where the securing E clip fits. I did not measure the before and after dimension, sorry.

Thanks again to Roger and all involved.

















Luis A. is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM
  #36  
ROG100
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
ROG100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Double Oak, TX
Posts: 15,606
Default

Luis - awesome feedback - thanks for the effort and detail.
Nate - can we modify and produce the parts?
__________________


Does it have the "Do It Yourself" manual transmission, or the superior "Fully Equipped by Porsche" Automatic Transmission? George Layton March 2014

928 Owners are ".....a secret sect of quietly assured Porsche pragmatists who in near anonymity appreciate the prodigious, easy going prowess of the 928."
ROG100 is online now  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 PM
  #37  
GT6ixer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GT6ixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Seattle. WA
Posts: 2,846
Default

Originally Posted by Luis A. View Post
Hi guys, Here is the conclusion with the fitment notes of the 3D printed shaft spacer/collars. First, let me say how impressed how I am with this community, this effort being a reflection of that. I participate in several other vintage car online forums but this has to be one of the most, if not the most resourceful, warm and helpful of all. In that sense, it bears a strong resemblance to the BMW 2002 FAQ community but the complexity of the 928 makes this one stand out even more. So thanks to Nate, Roger Sean for jumping on this is as you did.

Here is my assessment of the collars. They fit well in every way except they need to have the height trimmed by slight sanding on a flat surface somewhat as shown on the diagram, This height is critical so that the shaft can sufficiently protrude on the other end to be able to expose the slot where the securing E clip fits. I did not measure the before and after dimension, sorry.

Thanks again to Roger and all involved.












Originally Posted by ROG100 View Post
Luis - awesome feedback - thanks for the effort and detail.
Nate - can we modify and produce the parts?
Roger, no problem. I suggest I make a couple more prototypes to get the dimensions correct before making these in volume.

Luis, thanks for the great feedback. This should be an easy adjustment. My thought is to make two more pairs, each with slightly shorter hats. Would you be able to check fit them if I sent them to you? If so PM me your address. If not, Roger may e Sean can take a look?
GT6ixer is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 01:59 PM
  #38  
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
Luis A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 593
Default

Sorry Nate, I screwed up in that I did not measure the dimensions of the old and the new part before I assembled everything and now the complete assembly is in place and not easily reached, as you know...
Luis A. is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM
  #39  
GT6ixer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GT6ixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Seattle. WA
Posts: 2,846
Default

Originally Posted by Luis A. View Post
Sorry Nate, I screwed up in that I did not measure the dimensions of the old and the new part before I assembled everything and now the complete assembly is in place and not easily reached, as you know...
No worries. Completely understand. Sounds like Sean may have a few to test on.
GT6ixer is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
  #40  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,409
Default

Originally Posted by GT6ixer View Post
No worries. Completely understand. Sounds like Sean may have a few to test on.
I do, no worries there.
SeanR is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 01:19 PM
  #41  
GT6ixer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GT6ixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Seattle. WA
Posts: 2,846
Default

Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
I do, no worries there.
Thanks Sean! I'm going to make 4 more pairs of these. One pair I will make the same as the originals so you can verifiy the issue that Luis was having. And then three additonal pairs that each have progressively slightly shorter hats. Of those three I'll let you decide which is the best fit.
GT6ixer is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: