924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 01:04 AM
RAD951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure

Hello all 944 owners. I am building a subwoofer enclosure that fits over the rear seats. This enclosure looks very good and is contoured around the wheel wells in the arear where the rear seats used to be. I started making these boxes after I was told that making a custom box for my car would run $350. So I set out to design my own box and came up with this box. Its actually a panel that fits over the area of the rear seats. Its light weight so there is no problem with performance. You will although have to remove the rear seats, but you save some weight. I am selling these subwoofer enclosures for $125 plus $35 shipping insured. I currently have one in my 1986 944 turbo with two ten inch MB Quart subs. They sound very clean and tight bass. The air inside is sealed out and can be used with any 10" or 8" subs. If anyone is interested in buying one. Please email me or reply with any questions.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:02 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

What're they made of? If it's particlate of some sort, they're gonna be heavy. What do they weigh?
Old 05-28-2002, 02:25 PM
RAD951
Racer

Cool

Hello, the enslosure is made out of 3/4" MDF (the high quality stuff). Its very light, and weighs aprox. 10 or 15 lbs. I can use other color carpets such as black, burgandy, sand, or gray. Real good box. Looks very sleak. I like it because it doesn't add weight to my 944 turbo,so I donot hurt performance, also it is so stealthy.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:02 AM
yOnKiNaToR
Advanced

it doesn't look like a complete box to me...does it just go over the place where the seats used to be or is it sealed by MDF all the way around? in another words, is it a complete box? b/c if it's not, you may get poor resonance.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:09 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

I quite like the idea, but I've used 3/4" MDF and it's not light. Is 15 lbs the ACTUAL weight, or are you ballparking it?

It's just that I've made (and bought) a few speaker enclosures and they're always a PITA for weight. If I can get a lightweight woofer enclosure I'll buy one.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:48 PM
RAD951
Racer

Cool

The enclosure is not a box, its a panel that fits over the arear where the seats use to be and it has a couple of curved pieces attached to the panel to contour around the middle part of the car or where the torque tube goes. I know what you are saying about mdf, Mdf is heavy, but this is just a panel,not a complete box, and also it has two 10" diameter holes cut in them. My ballpark figure is around 10 to 15lbs.Surely its not anymore than 15 lbs. The sound resonance works, as long as you put clear silicone sealant around the edges, and use polyfill, the speakers will function properly because there is enough airl inside. I haven't tried porting the box, but porting it and not using poly fill might work also. I am using regular subwoofers and not free air. You can use free air and it evern might sound better. Actually free air subs have stiffer insternal structures, and they are actually better than regualar subs when they are used in sealed boxes. Free air subs are design not for use in " free air". They are designed in a way that the frequency it produces move forward and not backwards. Regualy sub's frequency move backwards and hit the space inside the box and resonate outwards. Pioneer makes the best free air subs and they aren't espensive. But I prefer using regualar subs, and the best are JL Audio because they don't require much air and they sound superb. As for the panel, the reason I built this enclore is because it is stealthy, doesn't weigh a thing, and looks great and sounds clean. I wasn't going for a SPL record or bass shattering bass, I have grown out of bass shattering bass and moveed into more rich and clean tight bass to complement my sound system.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:46 AM
RAD951
Racer

Wink

I take it back, this box produces head shattering bass. I just installed a new amp (us acoustics), and what a day and night difference. The subs hit very low and sound awsome. I new that the Mb Quart subs I used were pretty good. I think also the reason why the system sounds good also is because the interior space or the rear seat pockets are curve, so all of the sound waves bounce or are projected outwards because its curved inside. I have also have more pics of the box.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:48 AM
RAD951
Racer

Smile

Here is another pic.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:21 PM
jiffypop
Instructor

Rad, where do you live in Nashville? I would like to see and hear the box?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:12 AM
RAD951
Racer

I live in columbia, tn. Right next door to ya. I have it curently temporarly hooked up because I am still building these for people and I use my car to test each enclosure. If you want or interested we can meet at cool springs mall or something.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:36 AM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

That's pretty cool. Thanks for clarifying. And by the way, and this is no slight on the panel, but MB Quart speakers could sound good in a chicken coop! They're awesome. I'm interested. I assume they fit into the 931 chassis too? That the 944 doesn't have any quirky deviations from the 931 chassis? They 'should' be the same...
Old 05-31-2002, 05:22 PM
RAD951
Racer

Talking

cool, I think it should fit because I made on already for a guy that owned a 924S. It has the same body structure right? I built a 6x9" panel for him. Let me know if you want one and I will make it this weekend or today. email me
Old 06-13-2002, 01:16 PM
yOnKiNaToR
Advanced

could you build one that accomodates 12" subs? have you calculated how much air space each sub gets?
Old 06-13-2002, 01:57 PM
RAD951
Racer

Lightbulb

Yes, I have thought about it. There is enough space to cut out the holes, but the problem would be the required air space for the 12" subs. I think there is 1 cubic feet of air per side. So... if you can find a sub that requires less than 1 cubic feet of air or less, than yes its possible. I can only imagine how loud and awsome it would sound, because my 10" subs hit real hard already. All 3 of the panels I have left, donot have holes cut out yet, so its possible for me to cut out 12" holes. There are lots of subs out there that only require 1 cubic feet of air or less.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:21 PM
yOnKiNaToR
Advanced

yeah, i'm lookin' at Image Dynamic 12"s..they sound real nice and don't need hardly any air space..it still scares me though it's not a complete box...also, would it be durable enough to lay stuff on it? would it also be possible to countersink the subs a little bit so i could lay stuff on it and not touch the subs? how about a cutout to countersink an amp too?

Quick Reply: Look! Custom subwoofer enclosure