924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924S "SE" (Le Mans???)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 924S "SE" (Le Mans???)

Reading Morgan's book I see that in 1988 there were 500 924S "Le Mans" special edition cars sent to the US. My understanding is that these cars had the full M030 sport suspension setup.

I've also heard references to a 924S "SE" and I'm *assuming* that these are the same "Le Mans" special edition???. Morgan's book has pictures of one of these, but it's a European model and has a "Le Mans" graphic on the sides, but the particular car photographed was a U.K. car owned by someone in London. I've seen ONE picture of a US model and it was black, but didn't have the graphic.

If anyone here has more info on the details of these cars, or can point to a source, I'd love to hear about them. I'd also like to find one in good condition to use as a PCA-fun event car and possibly to autox. Seems like such a car would make almost an ideal amateur's autox car and be fun for DE's also.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I parted out one last summer. It had been side swiped real hard down the drivers side. It had Bilsteins on all 4 corners, with adjustable coil overs on the front. It also had a 20mm rear sway, and a 26.8 front. No sunroof, and a manual drivers side mirror only.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LeMans Special edition is not the same as the SE. Whereas the SE was considered a sport edition being light weight etc. The Lemans edition had nice lower spoilers both front and rear and was one of the last 924's produced. Check out my gallery for a picture of the front spoiler, i have yet to install the rear.

Erich
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/ErichCS
Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Default Still confused....

Originally Posted by ErichCS
The LeMans Special edition is not the same as the SE. Whereas the SE was considered a sport edition being light weight etc. The Lemans edition had nice lower spoilers both front and rear and was one of the last 924's produced. Check out my gallery for a picture of the front spoiler, i have yet to install the rear.

Erich
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/ErichCS

Hi Eric,

That's a beautiful 924S you have in your picture gallery? What are all the shots of relay (?) that you are installing and the laptop? Is this some kind of tuneable engine management system? Any threads on this here at Rennlist?

RE the "Le Mans and the "SE"...I'm still confused. I can find no reference to the "SE" as such. Here's what Peter Morgan's book has to say about the "Le Mans" edition:

"To boost the 924S's image, a Le Mans special edition was built during the 1988 model year to celebrate Porsche's 12th outright win in the famous 24 Hour race. The factory order number for this model was M755 for all markets except the US, where it was M756.

"The Le Mans was lowered 10mm (0.39 in) at the front and 15 mm (0.59 in) at the rear, and fitted with stiffer springs and gas-filled shock absorbers all round. It was further given sport anti-roll bars with diameters of 21.5mm (0.85 in) at the front but 20mm (0.79 in) rather than 14 mm (0.55) at the rear. Wheels were "telephone dial" cast alloy 6J x 15 at the front and 7J x 15 (M396) at the rear. The 160 hp engine was unchanged."

He goes on about the two different paint/interior combo's on this model. I can't find any information specific to the "SE" so I'm very interested that one also.

I'd love to find one of these around.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the nice comments. I have had this car for over 10 years now, and i love it. The relay was the factory 944 relay required for the fog/driving lights i have in my european bumper.

I don't believe the LeMans Edition was ever introduced into the US. I have only seen a few pictures of factory lemans cars, which are all from 1988. The SE's were introduced into the US and can be found for sale. I have seen atleast two for sale in the last year without really looking. So if you are looking for an SE you can proably find one for sale if you look.

As for details on the SE i would agree with the book you quoted. I don't know that much about them other than whats in books.

Hope that helps!
Erich
Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the nice comments. I have had this car for over 10 years now, and i love it. The relay was the factory 944 relay required for the fog/driving lights i have in my european bumper. Erich
Got it... Where did you get the Euro bumper? It looks great. My first P-Car (after 2 914's many years ago) was a 924S and I liked it a lot. Even though it was an automatic, it still gave that indescribable Porsche "something". It still belongs to a good buddy of mine.
I don't believe the LeMans Edition was ever introduced into the US. I have only seen a few pictures of factory lemans cars, which are all from 1988. The SE's were introduced into the US and can be found for sale. I have seen atleast two for sale in the last year without really looking. So if you are looking for an SE you can proably find one for sale if you look.
Also from Morgan's book (which I *highly* recommend--it's just a great overall source on all things 924/944/968 and has tons of great pix also.) "Between July and September 1987 a toltal of 980 924S Le Mans models were manufacured: 200 black and 50 white cars were in West Germany. 500 balck (but no white) in the US, and 113 black and 117 white elsewhere in 'Rest of the World' markets." (pg 56.)
If you ever see one for sale, don't hesistate to contact me via email or here!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Morgan's book has some notoriously confusing information. From what I have been able to figure out, the LeMans editions that were sold in the US were not sold as LeMans editions. They also did not sport the additional front and rear fascia since those bits were not DOT approved. Same reason the glass fiber "Euro" bumper was not imported into the US. The LeMans editions that were sold over here were sold simply as Special Editions and were all black. They also varied in how heavily optioned they were Based on the ones that people on Rennlist and 924board have, some came with M030 and some did not. Also, some came with sunroofs and some did not come with that option.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:54 AM
924slemans
1st Gear

I'm fench... and I introduice you my 924s "le mans" or "SE"... I don't know
I have few information about it..

I'm looking for informations, pictures about this model if you have...

damien
Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

who else on here has the SE? i know there are a few and i do believe that overseas they were called the Le Mans and in the US they were called the SE. 756
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

I just bought one from another Rennlister. Has some minor issues, and the timing belt wasnt installed right (off by a tooth, balance belts off by 3) but the leakdown numbers were ok so I think I dodged a bullet. The seats arent original, and the door cars are trashed but it does have the 756 code in the spare tire well.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
sidporsche
1st Gear

Thumbs up my 924s le mans

hi guys thats my black le mans in peter morgans book .the car still looks good apart from the front end stonechips which will be repainted after my august nurburgring trip.will be happy if anyone wants any info on the car pics etc
Old 01-27-2020, 05:13 PM
JoeBoxer
Cruisin'

hard to find but a Porsche salesman fact book has all the info you need! The SE in U.S. the Le mans in Germany and The Spirit in Spain which paint color was white and Cat delete form factory giving it 170hp on good gas!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 PM
JoeBoxer
Cruisin'

The 924S-SE is the only other Club Sport transaxle type built by Porsche. Built and designed with weight restriction in mind and much improved handling with upgraded factory M030 suspension the SE was designed and to be sold without ac,radio,sunroof,etc to keep its weight lighter than the base 924S. Those who own rare non sunroof, no ac, and no radio to name a few deleted options from the factory, have a rare piece of Porsche history. Customers complained that they wanted ac added back on the car, radio,etc and Porsche allowed customers to purchase those options back onto the SE. A total of 980 examples were to be produced world wide and The Spirit sold in Spain is the one I am on the hunt for. A friend in Germany says Le Mans 924S's are rare to find let alone one in driving condition or trashed. If only 500 were to be sold in the U.S.? I would be willing to bet that less than 100 are still on the road today in U.S.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:03 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBoxer
The 924S-SE is the only other Club Sport transaxle type built by Porsche. Built and designed with weight restriction in mind and much improved handling with upgraded factory M030 suspension the SE was designed and to be sold without ac,radio,sunroof,etc to keep its weight lighter than the base 924S. Those who own rare non sunroof, no ac, and no radio to name a few deleted options from the factory, have a rare piece of Porsche history. Customers complained that they wanted ac added back on the car, radio,etc and Porsche allowed customers to purchase those options back onto the SE. A total of 980 examples were to be produced world wide and The Spirit sold in Spain is the one I am on the hunt for. A friend in Germany says Le Mans 924S's are rare to find let alone one in driving condition or trashed. If only 500 were to be sold in the U.S.? I would be willing to bet that less than 100 are still on the road today in U.S.

There are a few 924S LeMans for sale in the UK, if you dont mind RHD cars. White and Black ones

Quick Reply: 924S "SE" (Le Mans???)