924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924S Starting Issues, Not the Fuel Pump Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM
924S Driver
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924S Starting Issues, Not the Fuel Pump Relay

My '87 Porsche 924S won't start. I get in and turn the key, and it starts cranking but no starting.
Over the past few weeks the car has had trouble starting but it would always go after a few tries but not anymore. Even after it would start the engine seemed really uneven until warmed up almost as if a piston weren't firing. I don't wanna do too much more cranking because I'm wary of killing the battery. As guided by other posts I've tested the fuel pump relay, no issue there, I honestly doubt it'd a fuel pump issue. though I don't know of any particular way to rule that out. Could I be having spark plug issue's? And how would I test that short of replacing them and giving it a go? This car has been my daily driver and I really need it back to get to work.
Please, any help will be much appreciated! Thank you
Old 02-02-2020, 04:13 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

A usual culprit for this problem is the Fuel Pressure Regulator. They tend to fail especially if they havent been replaced. A good way to check this is to remove one of the injector's power supply ( just detach the cable on top of the injector) . If the car starts and runs extremely rough then you know its the Fuel Pressure regulator. I did that check myself and after it did run rough, i replaced the FPL and the car has been starting without any problems since then.

Make sure you check which one is the right one , on my 1988 160bhp 924S I got a different one than the 150bhp 924S as they had different part numbers

Quick Reply: 924S Starting Issues, Not the Fuel Pump Relay