924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004 | 11:49 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Default Bumpers

My mind is wondering on this one:

Are the mounts and bumpers between the Euro and US cars completely interchangable? I'm wondering if i could use a US bumper with the euro mounts to achieve the same result as drilling a hole in the shocks and sinking in the bumper. Some call this the "Stub nose mod."

Manning do you have any thoughts on this one?

Thanks a lot guys!
Erich
Old 06-01-2004 | 11:50 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

To clarify i mean the front bumper...
Old 06-02-2004 | 01:08 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hate the snub nose mod. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I think it looks like you ran into a wall. It is in no way a cheap or remotely acceptable substitute for a real euro bumper. The euro bumper is elegant and really compliments the lines of the 924, the way it was meant to look.

But to your original question, I guess you could use the european bumper mounting irons as a substitute for drilling holes in your bumper shocks. They do actually mount to the bumper similarly. Not too sure the threaded bit on the euro mount will fit as is. May take some grinding.
Old 06-02-2004 | 07:32 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Well i guess we all know your feelings on the stub nose mod The ONLY reason why i think it could look ok is this: When i had my bumper off fitting up the lemans front spoiler the front looked nicer to me without the bumper. That got me thinking that a stub nose US bumper with my new spoiler would look nice. Other than that i'm not generally a real fan of the stub nose thing.

I do agree that the Euro front bumper looks way better IMHO. We'll see what i can dig up in terms of finding one. Stilling awaiting a response on pricing for all the needed parts.

Thanks Manning!
Erich
Old 06-04-2004 | 07:41 AM
GeoffD
Instructor

Boys,

One think that I think improves the look is to remove the bumper rubbers, weld up the holes and repaint. It also saves some weight. You can see how it looks in my avatar. By the way that's in AIR spoiler on my car.

gd
Old 06-04-2004 | 02:41 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

GD - Your car does look very nice there in the picture. That mod gives the car a very clean look in the front. However if we're going to talk about removing weight from the car what better way than to switch from the US steel bumper than the Euro Fiberglass one??? I had mine off the other day and i was shocked by how much that puppy weighed.

Hopefully i'll hear back on pricing soon....

Erich
Old 06-07-2004 | 11:58 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

One more question - Are all 924 and 931 and 924S Euro bumpers created equal so to speak? Are they all the same? I've looked at pictures a little and i can't find any apparent visual differnece between them.

Thanks!
Erich
Old 06-08-2004 | 01:20 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, according to the PET there are three different "european" bumpers for the 924 models. The early cars use the type you are probably most familiar with visually, part number 477 807 113. That is the one I have. It mounts with fixed irons. Then there appears to be 2 other versions used on the later cars (80 on?), all as listed in the PET for Euro models. One appears to be the US bumpers, with part numbers 477 807 109 or 109 E (headlamp washers). The other is similar in appearance to the more sleak early version, part numbers 477 807 109 H, C (931 and headlamp washers) or J (headlamp washers). They both appear to be mounted using bumper shocks (code 036 or 058)
Old 06-08-2004 | 11:51 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Manning for the information. I am still working thru the details of getting my hands on one of these.

Can i ask you what you're doing for fog lights and wiring? I know the light harness already has plugs for the lights just no relays and controls...
Old 06-09-2004 | 01:16 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, when I bought the bumper Ian threw in the driving lights that go with it for FREE. The e-code ones, not DOT fog lights. I lucked out in other words.

I also bought a fog light switch which goes in the center console under the oil pressure gauge. There should be a blank filling the spot on your car and the wiring should be there. Now I need to order a relay and figure out how to get my hands on a set of plugs for the back of the lights and we should be good to go.
Old 06-25-2004 | 12:28 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the reply - Ive been gone for a while and i didn't nail down the details on the bumper before i left. So i'll be ordering it soon and then it'll be a few weeks before i even get it. I just wanted to get some ideas on the wiring setup.

When you say plugs what do you mean exactly? I guess i'm not clear on that one...

Thanks again for all your input manning!
Erich
Old 06-26-2004 | 12:08 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The lights I got with the bumper are the proper lights, but they did not come with the harness extension. If you aren't sure what I mean by that, look at how your corner markers connect to the main harness on your car. The main harness will have a set of female connectors that sprout out of it at each point were a light of one sort or other is supposed to cnnect to it. A jumper or extension of sorts plugs into those connector and has the proper plug on the other end to plug into the light unit. So if you look up under the front of your car you will see a pair of wires hanging out of the lighting harness at each corner for the fog/driving lights, but there is no actual connector for the back of the fog/driving lights. I need to source those harness extensiones with proper plugs on them.
Old 06-27-2004 | 12:58 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the explaination Mike. That makes more sense to me know. If you wouldn't mind once you do source those could you pass than info along to me

I paid for the bumper today and i'm also beginning the search for driving lights that'll fit. Any suggestions? Reason being i couldn't swallow the price of $150 for a used set. I was actually thinking about the yellow version that i've seen on some euro cars. For example the 968 Turbo RS had yellow driving lights instead of the clear ones.

Just an idea!

Thanks again for all your help Mike!
Erich

Quick Reply: Bumpers