924 Turbo in Knoxville TN???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 Turbo in Knoxville TN???

I saw one a few weeks ago in the Cedar Bluff area- anyone on here from this area know of any 931's around here? I'm just curious- would like to have been able to talk w/the owner- those are pretty rare cars- I'd like to have gotten a closer look at it. So....???
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM
KC951
Cruisin'

I saw one near Springfield TN last weekend. Hwy 41 runs up from I-65 to Springfield, it was parked at a garage on the road that parallels hwy 41(old Greenbrier Pike). It might be closer to the town of Greenbrier. The garage was located next door to a trucking company called Clean Harbor(red trucks). The car was white.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC, the one I saw was silver, gold, grey, or something in that range- it was dark out....
Old 02-25-2004, 11:02 PM
jg4454
Intermediate

Hey, it's me! Wow, someone on Rennlist wrote in about my car! Cool! Anyway, it's a 1982 931 in Diamond Silver. Almost 100k miles. All original, except for a repaint. I bought the car on ebay for $3050. I've put about $2000 in refreshing the car, and some serious maintenance stuff, like belts, water pump. Had to get new gaskets and seals in quite a few places. The car is running great now. The previous owner had also put alot of love in the car. It has a replacement engine with about 35k miles on it, recent clutch, rebuilt turbo, new shocks (factory which I think is Koni in front and Bilstein in the back). If you want Robby, you can come over and check it out. I live in the Cedar Bluff area.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's really cool- I thought it was a long shot that I'd find you here- I saw you in the Home Depot parking lot ~2wks ago, as if you had come out of there- I had just gotten out of my car to go in- had I been paying just a tiny bit more attention...

I'll PM you w/my # & we can get together soon- how about today? But seriously- IF it doesn't get too bad & IF I think I can find a BIG empty parking lot covered w/a big slab of ice, I WILL get out & about to play, but, I'm going to wait until pretty late so everyone else can go around panicking & crashing in to each other- MY car's staying in the garage today- IF it really ends up doing something, I may make a late-night run, somwehere around midnight or so, when traffic's low- maybe we can get together sometime next week though(?)- there are a couple other 951 owners in the area that I know- one that I keep in touch w/fairly regularly- he used to post here a lot... I would like to see a few more locals getting together- epsecially a few w/the knowledge & skills to work on thse cars- & even better w/a good, well-rounded set of tools...

Old 03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
jg4454
Intermediate

Won't be any help with tools or working on a car. I take mine to Beaman Imports. My e-mail is jeffgettelfinger@aol.com.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:00 AM
jg4454
Intermediate

I no longer take my car to Beaman Imports. I use Air Cooled Classics instead. Beaman put an axle on the wrong side!

When I got a new axle (at my expense) and asked if they would put it on the other side, David Beaman only offered a reduced rate. Even after I reminded him I have paid his garage over $2700 for maintenance and repairs in less than a year!

The work order said LR, the receipt said LR, but the new axle was put on the RR! My CV is now completely gone on the LR, and I have to pay someone to do the job Beaman screwed up.

They also neglected to put clamps on hoses, replace old corroded hoses, and give the engine the solid service I asked for when I first got the car, resulting in additional business for them in the $1000 range. So any Porsche owner in the Knoxville, TN area looking for a reliable, competent, and caring service facility would do well to stear clear of Beaman Imports.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff- I've been meaning to get back in touch w/you- we need to get get together again soon... funny we already knew each other from years before Did you just find this out about the axle? So, it's my understanding then, that you ordered the original axle through Beaman & had THEM do the work, etc.... is this correct? If THAT IS the case, it seems to me that they would be 100% responsible for replacing the axle correctly, along w/any parts (CV) that their screw-up destroyed in the process....

Hey, don't feel bad- I can tell you at LEAST one story about every Knoxville mechanic there is, except for Mike Taylor, &, I'm sure if I looked long enough, I'd probably find one about him. RPM did ME in- when I bought my car 5yrs ago, I dropped it off for them, to the tune of $1600 for a timing belt, new rollers, new water pump, front seals, & one or two other misc things. When I got my car back, it was overheating at stop signs & was running b/t the bottom fat marker & first white hash mark, on the freeway. Well, they had put in the wrong thermostats AND, were a FULL GALLON short on coolant! Then, I later find out that they did NOT drill out the plug that ran coolant from the water pump to the turbo, although, they DID connect the hose! Now the car runs consistently b/t the 1st & 2nd hash marks. Another year or two went by & Mike found that they did NOT replace the front seals, although they DID charge me! I had some words w/Ron Torte, but, did not know ANYWHERE NEAR the full extent back then- he went bankrupt a few months later, so, most of this is years after the fuct....

Anyway, I've never had a prob w/Air Cooled, so, hopefully you'll be safe there.... I'm wondering though, if there's not anything you can do to get your $$ back from Beaman... anyone here know? It's people like these who make owning these cars a complete PITFA!

Quick Reply: 924 Turbo in Knoxville TN???