Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with possible 951 purchase!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 11:45 PM
Wagz
Racer

Unhappy Help with possible 951 purchase!!!!

Okay, I went to check out an 87 951 for sale. When i got to the "dealer" the salesguy told me that the car needed a new exhasut manifold. I checked out the car and found it to have one leak in the manifold,but other than that it seemed fine. Interior in great shape, paint okay, no body damage. Engine looked clean, well taken care of.

It ran rough, driveable, but did not run well enough to drive without fixing the problem. The idle was a constant 1000rpm, and when I gave it some gas it reved fine but did not come off throttle smoothly even though my foot was off the gas.

My question...Is this symptomatic of a leaking manifold?, if not what could it be?

two, what would it cost to get a new manifold, and installation?

Thanks, any and all help is very much appreciated!

All vancity guys...i'd love it if someone wanted to come check it out with me!

Cheers All!
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:11 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Wagz, the crack in the manifold is rather common, but you can't weld it up. So, finding a replacement can be somewhat difficult and it is time consuming to remove the headers with a 951. However, if that's the only thing wrong with it, I'd jump if the price is right!
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:27 AM
Wagz
Racer

He said he would give the car to me for 6800$ ( Canadian ) as is.

Good deal?

And how much would it cost as i would have to have it done by a shop.
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:29 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

If you find one with the cracked header, definitely use that as a bargaining point in the purchase price as it will be fairly pricey to fix whether you replace with another or have that one welded up (it can be done, but it has to be done by someone knowledgeable about welding stainless steel who is also a good welder).

If it's an 86 and has the old style header without the flex joint, you may want to check with one of the 951 dismantlers or around here on the list to see if anyone has one available with the flex joint.

If you aren't sure about the reputability and skill level of the mechanics working there to give you a thorough PPI, I'd find a place locally and tell them you want it checked out by an independent shop to verify the condition. They should be okay with that if they really want to sell the car and know you are serious about buying it, especially if you are paying for the PPI. Use that to find out if anything else is up and to bargain against the price if there is. They will usually find a few minor niggles that you don't.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:36 AM
car_slave
Pro

price sounds good. How many miles?
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:41 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry for the thread hijack...
Andrew, is that your car in your avatar? What color is that? I love it. Have you got a hi-res version of that pic?
Old 11-22-2003 | 01:26 AM
Wagz
Racer

127,XXX miles
Old 11-22-2003 | 01:32 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Wagz, see if the dealer will accept an offer SUBJECT to your mechanic inspecting the car - get SCAN to do a PPI on it - you'll find out the truth.

The dealer will probably decline to allow the PPI - so BUYER BEWARE. Any records for the car? History? Where's it from? etc. At least get some of the local 951 guys to take a look at it for you. There are so many things that can cost a LOT to repair on a 951.
Old 11-22-2003 | 01:38 AM
Wagz
Racer

Actaully the guy was open and actually incouraged me to have my own mechanic to come look at it, i go the feeling he didn't kno what to do with it. He has full history. It's originally a Seattle car, he has a carfax, and icbc report.

Basically he wants to be rid of it. I'd definatly be down to go look at it with one of the local guys.. i'll have to see who would be willing.
Old 11-22-2003 | 02:46 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where was this one listed? Im just plain annoyed
Old 11-22-2003 | 03:18 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Wagz, was this the white one?

Lets look at it together - I'll bring a jack and we can get under it and check everything.

You could get a new manifold from one of the tuners. The hardest part would be removing the bolts! But otherwise totally do-able.
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:22 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

I don't have the headers anymore but I have the updated crossover sections.
I will also tag a long for a look if you like, I have gotten to know this car intimately of late
Old 11-22-2003 | 03:39 PM
Wagz
Racer

Rich, sounds good
Old 11-22-2003 | 11:59 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Hey Pete,

Yes it is my car.....yes I can make high res versions of the pic as it's actually a 3D model of my actual car, same color as my real car, Stone Gray. I haven't completely finished the 3D version yet, I've been working on a video of my actual car and just been hammered with other things in the last few weeks. I'll be showing off the digital model quite a lot once it's done, so keep your eyes out on here for it.

In the meantime, you can see a couple of shots I took the other day in my fairly new Rennlist gallery at: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/turbo944 and the video should be up sometime this coming week.

Wagz,

Now, back to the topic at hand..... Good to hear the dealer is open to PPIs and inspections by other trained mechanics and such. That means he and the staff there are probably fairly confused, not sure how to sell what they have on their hands and would be happy to find a buyer for this unusual vehicle that they have on their lot that customers are afraid to ask the price on when they see Porsche on the crest. That means he may also deal well with you to get it off his lot. What they don't understand we take advantage of.....most dealers barely understand what they are selling, let alone all of the vehicles that hit their lots.

Hope it works out for ya....

Quick Reply: Help with possible 951 purchase!!!!