Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for project

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017 | 12:32 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Default Looking for project

My son and I are looking for project car. Something we can buy inexpensively, spend time working on and learing together, then possibly sell (or keep if we get attached to it). We prefer something that needs engine work and not much body work. I currently have a '99 996 that I use as my summer time DD and perform all maintenance myself.

We recently came across a craigslist add for an '86 944, 155K miles non-running with a broken timing belt. Only 4 pictures but the exterior looks nice. Asking $1,500.

I've been reading up on this model and understand that this is an interference engine so at a minimum there are bent valves. I'm going into this knowing we will need to pull the head and get that machined or replaced. Replacing the timing belt does not look too bad. At this point, I don't know anything else about the car. I sent a couple questions to the seller but have not heard back.

Here is the ad: https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/6185794021.html

Couple questions:

1. Am I crazy or just naive to be considering this?
2. With a broken timing belt, is there usually additional damage besides bent values? Possible/probable piston damage or lower end damage from impact?
3. I have read the timing belt should be changed every 30k miles. Is a broken timing belt usually caused by age of the timing belt or some other issue that caused it to break (like a locked up water pump)?
4. With very little knowledge about this specific 944, is $1,500 in the ballpark for a reasonable price?
5. I have asked the owner the following questions with no response:
How long since it last ran?
When was the timing belt last replaced?
How long have you owned it?
Other maintenance up to date?
Service records available?

Anything else I should ask?

Obviously hard to get a PPI on a non-running car.

Again, I am looking for a project car to work on with my son. I know there are many running 944's out there but that is not the point of this. If we purchase this 944 or something in this price range and we tear down to find much more significant issues that make it not worth our time or $ to fix, the $1,500 we spent up front is not going to damage me financially (but will be disappointing).

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Thanks - Brad
Old 07-08-2017 | 12:47 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

The Fuchs wheels on on that car have $900 or more value alone. - You never know what to expect with the timing belt failure, if it happened while running and or running hard it could be a mess. Mixing of fluids would be one indication of a cracked head or block.
You won't be able to turn the motor over by hand due to the valve interferences. If you get the car 1st up would be to pull the head and go from there. See if he will take $1200

K
Old 07-08-2017 | 01:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Hi,
Broken timing belt almost always results in at least 1 bent valve.
You will need to remove the cylinder head and have it reconditioned by a machine shop and perhaps have valve(s) replaced. This is the perfect time to install a new water pump and timing belt kit.

If you are mechanically-inclined the 944 is generally a very easy car to work on - with some practice you can do even the "hard" jobs in quick time.

If the interior/exterior of the car look good, $1500 is a good price. Looking at the photos in the ad the body looks great which is half the battle...

The mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward and there are lots of 944 dismantlers around the country so good used parts are readily available. Nearest you is a fellow named "plyhammer" who is somewhere in Ohio, nice guy to deal with, very fair prices and quick shipping.

https://plyhammersparts.com/
Old 07-08-2017 | 01:31 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Don't see how you can go wrong here.

I wouldn't even bother wasting time waiting on replies from what I see vs. the asking price , especially since you posted it here, somebody else is gonna scoop this up if you hesitate.

If the seller answers the phone and the car is still there, I'd already be en route.

Kick the tires and haggle once you are there with trailer and cash.

T
Old 07-08-2017 | 01:42 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. Will try to see it tomorrow if seller is available.

It is located about 30 miles from me. What is the best way to get it home? I have a Jeep I can use to tow and could rent something from U-Haul but with it not running, how do I get it on a trailer? Am I best off just to hire a flat bed truck with a winch to pull it on?
Old 07-08-2017 | 01:51 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default trailer

Best on a trailer sometimes I ask the seller if he knows anyone and many times I have had them come through. If you rent or borrow a trailer you can use a come along and block the tires after 1/2 the pull (as come-a-longs normally don't have that much stroke). Most times its better to get it loaded back end forward since the Front Air dam does not allow for a straight pull up a ramp. Seen quite a few Air dams damaged by guys attempting to pull them up onto a trailer from the front
K
Old 07-08-2017 | 06:03 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by yank_my_chain
Thanks for the feedback. Will try to see it tomorrow if seller is available.

It is located about 30 miles from me. What is the best way to get it home? I have a Jeep I can use to tow and could rent something from U-Haul but with it not running, how do I get it on a trailer? Am I best off just to hire a flat bed truck with a winch to pull it on?
The Uhaul car hauler trailer is actually pretty good.

I even thought about buying one from them once (they sell them off after so many rental hours). They are fairly low to the ground and easy to load.

A long as the car rolls freely, you and your son both go and there is the owner and maybe one more volunteer......, you just line the trailer and car up with a 20-30 foot gap, get the car rolling at the speed of a jog with someone at the wheel....duck soup.

I have a Sloan Kwik load, it's a roll back. I never even bring a winch to the track. On the rare occasion that car would DNF, I always load as described.

T
Old 07-08-2017 | 06:05 PM
951and944S
Race Car

BTW, bring an air tank....car rolls way easier if you pump tires up to 40+ psi.

I am pretty sure the Uhaul is already equipped with over the tire ratchet straps.

T
Old 07-08-2017 | 06:30 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

The Uhail trailer indeed has that over-the-tire webbing straps. I've hauled 2 944s on them, both turbo-nose. It's a tight fit when it gets to the front with stock ride height but just be careful. I think both times it was about $120 for the whole day, after all the taxes and fees.
Old 07-09-2017 | 02:59 AM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

Yep, can confirm that the U-Haul trailer works super well with the 944. I towed my 1987 944S from Tucson to Phoenix using one. The only trick is to tell U-Haul that you're towing a Civic or something common like that— they freak out if they hear the word "Porsche," even if said Porsche is $1000 and non-running like mine was. I was able to roll mine on with a buddy, it wasn't hard at all thanks to the 944's sub-3000lb weight.

Old 07-09-2017 | 11:01 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

...I currently have a '99 996 that I use as my summer time DD and perform all maintenance myself...
If you've done the IMS/RMS, AOS and coolant tank yourself on a 996, a 944 is a walk in the park. It has its quirks and almost every job involves a bunch of associated wyit jobs, but overall it's an easy car to work and learn on.

I wouldn't hesitate getting that car as a project, good bodywork and Fuchs alone. GL
Old 07-11-2017 | 12:14 PM
Smike
Instructor

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions

You're not far from Mark (plyhammer). You could get a new(er) head and do a top end swap / fix the t-belt. Verses rebuilding a bent/damaged head.

https://plyhammersparts.com/
Old 07-14-2017 | 09:29 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Thanks for all the great feedback! Unfortunately we did not get it. I tried many times to contact the seller but my inquiries were not returned. The craisglist listing was taken down yesterday.

The search continues....
Old 07-14-2017 | 10:16 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default t

Originally Posted by 951and944S
somebody else is gonna scoop this up if you hesitate.
Its mine now, how much is it worth to you?
Old 07-15-2017 | 08:17 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

1. Am I crazy or just naive to be considering this?
To be perfectly frank? Yes on the crazy part. But that's pretty much par for the course. A certain amount of crazy is required.

Quick Reply: Looking for project