Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof - How to permanently seal ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a manual sunroof in my '83 944, it was ok, but it's sure nice to have the electric option...it's just a slow leak and the seal is still soft, it was garaged all its life...i dont get why it leaks...i just put a towel in the back seat during heavy rain...
Heh, at the Whistler meet last year I saw this one guy trying to rip his electric roof out, he didn't know how to retract the rails!!! I ran in slow motion yelling "NNOOOOOOO!!!" in a low pitch to stop him from wrecking his roof...I was too late, but he somehow got the roof out without retracting the rails...silly, silly man...
Old 11-21-2003, 01:37 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is electric a nice option, it doesn't really do anything.

I had it, hated it and removed it.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, the seal may still be soft, but that doesn't mean it makes a good seal. They get permanently squished over time and don't have enough give left to form a seal. Replace it and the leak will be gone.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh...you're really against all these electric options, huh? Do you like go around to the front of your car and use a manual crank to start your car??
(jus' playin..)
I appreciate your advice...I might take the motor out one day...why would you want to permanently seal your sunroof, except for track use??? how could you ever enjoy a sunny day again?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Electical options are usually just extra weight (ten pounds difference between manual and electric roof including all hardware) and usually prone to failure. The sunroof on our cars are a great example of that. I never used to tilt feature because (1) I didn't understand what the point was and (2) I have long hair which gets sucked out of open sunroofs. I stopped removing the roof panel because I could never count on the lift arms latching it properly when I put it back in. I half assed started trying to figure out whether or not a manual conversion would work a few years ago and everybody said it couldn't be done. Then Erik started looking into it and figured out it could, so I installed the latches and Bob's your uncle.

I wouldn't seal it up permanently myself unless I actually replaced it outright with a welded in steal panel.

In the mean time, replace the rubber seal and you should be good to go. It is easy enough to do.

Quick Reply: Sunroof - How to permanently seal ?