Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd, belt jumped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Odd, belt jumped?

I was driving home from school, and i noticed the engine light, or what you want to call it, the exclamation point light above the speedometer, was on. I was trying ot tell if anything was running differently, didnt seem it.. so I was like, here we go, entering the porsche world.... i figured i'd put a post up here when got home askign what things to check when that light goes on. So i get home, and i turn off the car, and turn it back on just to see if perhaps it would go away (big hope). Of course it doesn't , but i did notice that the battery voltage was down to 12 and the light was on on the guage. I was like jeeze, what did my alternator go now? I pop the hood, and look. Everythings normal, except that the belt, not teh steering, the one that goes to the alternator and engine and such.. is popped off. I don't think it is broken. Engine heat had not gone up driving home luckily, because i imagine the water pump is connected to that belt too... but could something have just kicked up and got on the belt and caused it to pop off when it pulled whatever it was through the pulley? Or is there a bigger problem that could be causing this, thats common? I'm also wondering if it happened just when i restarted the car because like i said, the temperature didn't go up noticeably while i was driving home, and id dint notice the battery light.. but that couldve been there and i was just too worried about the engine check light...

Sorry its a little long winded, just trying to get all the possible information down....

what am i supposed to do now? just hook the belt back up and try again? Would the check engine light go on if the belt was off when the car is started?

It's like my range rover all over again - take a drive, fix a week (but its all worth it)
Old 11-19-2003, 04:51 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You found it...The alt light is on as is the ! light because its sensing a problem with charging.
The belt is off, so there's your problem. It could be just loose or it could need replacing. Just have it replaced and propperly tensioned and go from there.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The waterpump is driven by the timing belt. If the timing belt goes you have more problems than overheating.

That other belt just turns the alternator and A/C. So that's why your light went up, you weren't getting any charge from the alternator because their was no belt on it. It would turn on right away because that light comes on when something is screwed up with the charging system.

Quick question, when was the timing belt and balance belt last changed? If you don't know do it ASAP.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Not sure, i am meaning to do it soon, was just going to use it these last couple weeks before snow, then do some serious work over the winter on it. I just got it a couple weeks ago, the guy who had it since june said the person he bought it from had just replaced timing belt, but I am definately going to change that. I did just adjust the belt this weekend. Will my local auto parts store have that belt? it just says goodyear on it, is it fairly generic?
thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

They should be able to cross it. It might be a good idea to take the old belt with you just in case
Old 11-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I have to say, I do appreciate them not hooking in teh water pump with that belt.. unlike my old ford f250 when i popped teh steering belt and next thing i knew steam was billowing out of the front end........

I'll look into it.. is there anything i should look for in the peer hole to see the timing belt? can anything really be noticed from that? i see teeth or something kind of, without a flashlight..

Oh yeah,and if the timing belt went, i don't think the engine would still be running fine.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Welp, got the new belt with the numbers off the old one, from my auto parts store in town. Looking at the two belts now that i know what a new one looks like... DAMN that old belt was shot. Probably because the reason i tightened the belt last time was because it screeched for a half hour ride home from the movies, i guess because the last person to change belts didnt tighten the lock bolts on the tentioner. That probably couldve killed it eh? The rubber that goes into the grooves of the pulleys of the old one is about as thick as teh grooves in teh new one. Well, gotta love an easy fix. thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Switched the belts, now it works fine.. But i do think my AC mounts need replacing... the pulleys don't seem to line up perfectly, unless they arent supposed to.. they seem like one groove off. Any idea where i can get mounts?
thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

there are no mounts the compressor bolts up solidly, the only reason
I can think of for the pulleys to not line up would be an aftermarket replacement ac compressor.

Quick Reply: Odd, belt jumped?