Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does synthetic oil Mobil 5W-50 reacts with PET bottles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does synthetic oil Mobil 5W-50 reacts with PET bottles?

Standard Mobil oil container is crappy and it caused spillage in my trunk and on the race track, it just opened. Is there any contraindications to keep the oil in standard PET bottle(like CocaCola), does it reacts with it?

I don't want any additional chemicals in my engine nor to dissolve the bottle in my trunk.

Spillage
https://postimg.org/image/6j1mxaz0p/
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Was it an opened container or still factory sealed? Did it get hot and pop the top? I've never had trouble with any oil bottle and I've keep some of them in the engine compartment and never had them pop. Maybe riding in the wheel well had something to do with it but I don't see how it could come unscrewed on it's own if factory sealed. If Mobil oil dissolved the bottles it came in seems they may have discovered the alchemist's long sought universal solvent. Now if they can only find something to store it in
Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

ive had oil bottles in my 944 "cubbies" for 6 months or more, even half-empty ones and never had a leak...
Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought 4L + 1L. The 1L bottle was empty for the first time and that morning I refilled it with oil from 4L container. After few laps I went for a ride as a passenger of 370Z Nismo(wicked car) when I got back I found the oil spillage and that oil's container cap wasn't screwed properly anymore. I shared the situation on Polish transaxle forum and it seems that I wasn't the first person with that problem(also Mobil container). Maybe containers on Polish market are worse.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke48
Standard Mobil oil container is crappy and it caused spillage in my trunk and on the race track, it just opened. Is there any contraindications to keep the oil in standard PET bottle(like CocaCola), does it reacts with it?

I don't want any additional chemicals in my engine nor to dissolve the bottle in my trunk.

Spillage
https://postimg.org/image/6j1mxaz0p/
Can't speak to the question about the oil reacting with plastic in other containers.

My opinion (and concern) is if the oil is put in anything other than the bottle it came in (or another bottle some identical oil came in) it could react and who knows what this could lead to.

I've carried bottles of oil -- unopened and opened but with the cap screwed down -- in both my car's front trunks for month and months with no leakage.

Initially I was concerned about this and bought a fairly deep plastic tub and put the bottles of oil in this just in case. In fact I may still have the tub I can't recall now. I open the front trunk lid so seldom it ain't funny.

My advice is to leave the oil in the bottle it came in and pick up a suitable sized plastic tub -- I see these at the hardware store all the time -- and put the bottles in this tub, standing upright in the tub. You can jam some crumbled paper or something in the tub along with the oil bottles to keep the bottles from flopping about and possibly wearing a hole in the bottles.

Or you can buy several bottles of oil and when you have an empty instead of tossing it just put it back in the tub to keep the other full bottles from moving about.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:35 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filled a 16oz plastic coke bottle with oil when I use to tour on my old, air/oil cooled motorcycle. I didn't want to carry a full quart, but wanted a bit of extra oil in case I needed it.

Never had it leak over the course of 10 years. I did keep it upright and in a gallon sized zip lock bag, stored in one of my side cases.

Quick Reply: Does synthetic oil Mobil 5W-50 reacts with PET bottles?