Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I have Special Edition 1987 or 1988 coin

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
MPH
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Were the 88 coins even produced by Porsche, maybe they were produced by PCNA as they weren’t available for cars outside the USA/Canada?
I don’t know who made them. For sure the were manufactured in commission by Porsche. As earlier written here on rennlist. 250 cars for the european ROW market and 250 for the USA. I’m picking up my coin coming friday in Germany ( when everything Goes well...( fingers crossed!)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MPH

I don’t know who made them. For sure the were manufactured in commission by Porsche. As earlier written here on rennlist. 250 cars for the european ROW market and 250 for the USA. I’m picking up my coin coming friday in Germany ( when everything Goes well...( fingers crossed!)
That cannot be right as all the 88 coins I’ve seen have US cars on them and not ROW cars.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPH

Naa...500 SE models (924s) were made for the US market. How did you come up with this number?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems to be a lot of misinformation here....

If you add up all the known production numbers, there was to be around 250 Zermatt colored 944s and 250 Satin Black Metallic 944s, but there is conjecture those numbers were never built, but something a bit less.

In various writings on forums and other sources such as magazines and in websites, EVEN spoken about at PCA kiosks where computer usage is allowed to search for Kardex info on one's 944, 924, 911, that the number of 944s is thought to not have reached that high. Same with the 924...... early in the production years of the 924, there were statements made regarding production as being around 120, but later writings indicate as many as 500. The only cars which a definitive number are spoken of clearly are regarding the 3 models of the 911 ( and I do not have those numbers at my hand as of now, but think they are around 750 ?

So, does Porsche even have a definitive number ? I believe they do, but to get that exact number is apparently not a huge priority for them to divulge.

And yes, ALL Jubilee / Celebration Porsche were to get the medallion. Whether they did or not and were either lost or forgotten or misappropriated by customers or salesman before the sale, we will never know. Also, how many actually stayed with the car when it was sold ? Or got removed at trade in, at auto auction, or by 'Joe Lot Boy' on cleanup detail. The watercoolers had them fit into the glovebox lid into the drink holder depression on the lid; how many stayed there or popped out, fell on the floor, then slid under the seat like where my friend found his hiding ?

Most of this product is made by Porsche suppliers in Europe, as are their medallions today that you buy in the Porsche Museum gift shop. PCA had nothing to do with production of any of this marketing product.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The Jubilee / Celebration car I own with option code 757 has not only the medallion, but it is dated with 1988, has a US or North American big bumper car on it, and is smooth on the back. It came without the name inscribed on back of the first owner ( as some dealers were engraving on the backs ) and came fitted in the glove box lid. I have two Dealer brochures printed by Porsche that delineate the purpose of the model celebration ( honoring the 250,000 - 911 built and the 100,000 - 944 made which coincidently happened in the '88 model year run ), photos of cars and medallions, and options which were standard issue on the 944. Like the staggered 16 inch Phone Dials.... and other unique features.
It was built very early in the model build in 1987 as an '88 model year car for N.A.

It is a Satin black car, original condition, female owned ( given by her husband on her 40th birthday ). It has no damage, no repaints, no torn interior bits, uncracked dash, and came to me with very low miles. The only thing I did not get with the car from her was the factory Porsche handheld cell phone.... but after years of searching did locate one of those old 5 watt units. (Which were all replaced on the mandated 'upgrade' by the FCC so we didn't die from antennae induced fried brains.)
The following users liked this post:
Alex Nota (11-10-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MPH

Tell us more about this "picking up my coin this Friday in Germany"

What kind of coin is this ? Is it a true Jubilee Commemorative Medallion, ( large, silver in color, and about 2 1/2 inches in diameter ? Or is it the more commonly seen bronze colored 'calendar coin' which came affixed to the yearly Porsche Calendar and issued back in the mid '80s ? Or is it something entirely different ?
Images of this coin would be greatly appreciated by us all .....
Thanks !
The following users liked this post:
Alex Nota (11-10-2023)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 PM
MPH
AutoX

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Tell us more about this "picking up my coin this Friday in Germany"

What kind of coin is this ? Is it a true Jubilee Commemorative Medallion, ( large, silver in color, and about 2 1/2 inches in diameter ? Or is it the more commonly seen bronze colored 'calendar coin' which came affixed to the yearly Porsche Calendar and issued back in the mid '80s ? Or is it something entirely different ?
Images of this coin would be greatly appreciated by us all .....
Thanks !
Yes it is the real deal. The ‘87 version of the Celebration Special Edition coin. ( my CE is delivered new at the end of ‘87 in Gemany and years later exported to the Netherlands). I have an agreement to pick it up coming friday. But as we say here in the Netherlands: “ first see it, then believe it”. So I’m happy at the moment the coin is in my hands... Will post an update later...

Old 03-21-2018, 05:00 PM
MPH
AutoX

Edit: Numbers I mentioned were indeed incorrect. 944 CE production Numbers: Total 930. 507 zermatt 403 black. I don’t know why there is a difference of 20 cars?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

But these total numbers are for total world production......

Is there also a way to determine the breakdown for North American vs. Rest of World production ?

The serial numbers given do not show a total either... this is the RANGE of production vin #s and could also include other cars built within this range that were not Jubillee/Celebration vehicles

66 plus 930 do not add up to 1088, so there had to have been some other vehicles included in other colors

Note also the description in the upper right hand corner of the printout.
Exclusive Special Wishes or Sonderwunsche vehicles.

First time I have seen this term used to describe these vehicles, because today if you want paint to sample or interior to sample optioned Porsches, one has to deal with the Special Wishes Dept and pay dearly for the privilege of an order out from this group.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
MPH
AutoX

So Happy. Just returned from the “Techno Classica in Essen Germany. One of the biggest Classic car motorshows in europe. At the exhibition I had an appointment with Mr. Walter Traxler from Austria. 3 weeks ago we made the deal. He would sell me the ‘87 Celebration coin for 250 euro’s and hand it over at the exhibition where he is one of the exposants.
Ands yesssss!! Everything went well so now I can reunite car and coin. By the way: He had 3!!! coins in stock. so if anyone wants a one, ofcourse I can give the mailadres.

He also has the special Edition brochure. But to my suprise he wanted 300 euro’s for it. And that is far, far to much.

So my “chase” for the coin is finished. Now the chase for the leaflet/ brochure for a decent price continues!
​​​​​​

Happy Guy!��

The real deal!

Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Congrats on the score Marcel! The ebay auction confirms your purchase price was about right for the market. Perhaps someone who has one of the elusive brochures would consider running off some high quality 'tributes' and barter them to the faithful!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 PM
MPH
AutoX

Hope so Dan!

This morning I also brought the complete interior ( Seats, back seat and doorpanels ) to the shop to re -upholster the whole interior with the original M 757 studio grey fabric in the original way. It will take a couple of weeks. Afterwards the car will be complete. After cleaning it I wil make Some pics..
Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MPH

The real deal!
Good score!

I wonder why they depicted a car with US front/rear fenders and front valance but with a Euro bumper. Plus are those very early 924 manual door mirrors like they subsequently used on the turbo cup cars.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 AM
MPH
AutoX

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Good score!

I wonder why they depicted a car with US front/rear fenders and front valance but with a Euro bumper. Plus are those very early 924 manual door mirrors like they subsequently used on the turbo cup cars.
thx! I think it is an “artist impression”........
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MPH

thx! I think it is an “artist impression”........
....was he drunk

Quick Reply: Should I have Special Edition 1987 or 1988 coin