Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor Finish

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Garage Floor Finish

Looking for testimony on your garage floor finish. What do you like? What do you not like? Any problems you have experienced first hand?

Epoxy Paint? Snap together tile? Other options?

TIA-
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Looking for testimony on your garage floor finish. What do you like? What do you not like? Any problems you have experienced first hand?

Epoxy Paint? Snap together tile? Other options?

TIA-
Epoxy all the way.

I'll post some pics of mine later.

There are a lot of iffy products out there but I can testify to the quality of Epoxy-Coat.com.

Product and service are unmatched as far as I'm concerned. I had used a different product on a rental shop that was not new construction but was a very clean surface already.....followed all directions and it peeled up, blistered under quickly wiped up brake fluid spills, stained under small oil spills, etc., etc.
The Epoxy-Coat product has none of these problems.
I have a 944T in my shop.....long term restore and the engine and PS have leaks. When I actually work on the car (body), I'll have to move it around where oil has been sitting fro 1-2 months, wipes right off, no stains.
In my highest traffic areas, I get some scratches from dragging stuff on the floor. Any time I want to bring back gloss, I run a buffer on it and it comes back to wet look shine like I just finished it.

On the service - I had my products ship a few years ago in the dead of winter.
Somehow, one quantity of the part A (paint) was fine and the other was faulty, thick as clay in the container where a paint stirring stick would stand up in it like frozen ice cream.

I took a pic and sent to the company. They said the product had been below freezing in shipping and was no longer usable.
The amount that froze was maybe 50% of the quantity I ordered and they sent me another replacement full order even though I made clear that half my product was fine.

Top notch products, top notch service.

Can't brag on Epoxy-Coat enough.

T
Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

I also replied in your other thread.

I had Racedeck tiles and they were HORRIBLE. So bad I sold them and got Swisstrax. They are the best. Quality, value, customer service all top notch.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Rustolum epoxy and had no trouble with it. It did fad on areas that are exposed to the weather.(edge of garage door) . I recoated it after 5 years to freshen it up. Thee flakes help hide the damage to the old concrete. In short I love it.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:54 AM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Concrete floor of my garage was polished and stained. It looks fine. I wipe up any spills.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My attached garage I epoxy coated. Is very nice but some wear spots need repair after a few years. My detached garage is a new slab on which I used a sealer/hardener. Skookum!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks to everyone who replied for taking the time to share your experiences!

Looks like epoxy is the winner from a longevity and performance perspective.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay, Just one more thought. Follow the directions ! I have a friend in Hilton Head that only put on 1 coat. Floor looks like s**t now. The sun wasn't nice to it.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:54 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Epoxy isn't the winner, but sounds like that is your personally preference. My recommendation is get it professionally done or as mentioned in all these threads it will need to be fixed, redone every 5 yrs unless you don't mind it looking bad in certain spots.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I have epoxy on my garage floor as well. Its the same epoxy as in my pool, so they match. Its been problem free for me for 5 years so far. I've spilled many things on the garage, but a quick wash with Dawn detergent and its like new again. Highly recommend.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Johnboy4444
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 more for epoxy. I also used Rustoleum. Used the standard color coat and then the polycuramine top clear coating for the extra strength. I made sure and called product support first and they said it would be okay but the only thing I needed to pay attention to was that to be able to use the polycuramine on top of standard coat I should let it stand for a couple days before applying it.

As others have said, read the directions carefully, and make sure to take your time and do ALL the steps involved. Mine took a total of 2 days of prep, and 6 days after final coat before I could put my toolbox etc back and I gave it 10 before I parked on it, so a total of almost two weeks, and haven't had a single peeled spot or anything. I was told that a lot of peeling and things are often attributed to impatience. Wait the extra time. One more day is worth no peels...

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Finish