Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did all you Ford nay-sayers miss this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say that while I would never intentionally purchase a domestic car (they feel like they are falling apart the minute you drive them) I am driving an old Buick with 200+K miles on it while the 951 is in the garage and I think I just hit what I paid for the car in parts :>)!!! I am probably a little more **** than most and am doing work that didnt need to be done right then but it would have needed it eventually. The POS buick on the other hand has been mistreated by every owner it has ever had, it has been wrecked at LEAST 3 times, god only knows when the oil was changed last, and it is doing just fine. It is, however, a total POS.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
ive had my aurora for almost two years and no mechanical problems. had my pos legend coupe for 5 years and no mechanical problems. had my 944 three years and only 15k was spent on maintenance.

back in the day when the 944 was new I had a new rx7, my buddy had a new 280zx, his dad had a new 944 and my dad had a new astro.

my dad changed the oil the least often, and generally didnt give a crap about the car. after about five years, the porsche cost the most to maintain, and the astro the least. so much for german cars being so much better. oh, and the friend we sold the astro to when it was rear ended with 106k drove it another 100k before selling it to a friend of his. that van is probably still on the road. it went over 200k, and the motor was never opened up.

yep, american cars are crap. you sold me.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/

Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Porschephile 924
F*cked
On
Race
Day
More like

First
On
Race
Day
Old 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally posted by tifosiman
http://web.camaross.com/forums/

Hahahahaha!

Oh wait, what happened to the Camaros? Yeah thats what I thought...

Old 11-18-2003, 07:12 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video! Have we posted it on the vette forum yet?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Sach951
Pro

Who cares about which car or manufacturer is better than another? The part that matters is that the majority of that video was shot in Ann Arbor and just outside If you paused the vid at the point where there's a blue mailbox on the left side of the screen, I think it's around 4:20 or so, but I might be way off, it says 'Ann Arbor News'

I recognize all those curves.. He found the right places to drive.

Cheers,
Sach

If it wasn't obvious I'm in 'A2' -> Ann Arbor
Old 11-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spotted that Ann Arbor News box too! Then I really started watching closely to see what I could recognize. Wasn't that 20mph curve on Huron River Drive just off US23? Just doing the speed limit (35) on that one is a challenge for most cars. I went by there a few weeks ago and noticed that someone didn't make it - straight off into the trees!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
Hahahahaha!

Oh wait, what happened to the Camaros? Yeah thats what I thought...

Oh wait, what happened to the 944s? Yeah thats what I thought...

When I met Jim Wangers some twenty plus years ago he autographed the back of a picture of my Firebird. He wrote "It's a goat by any name".

Now with the GTO being reintroduced....
Old 11-19-2003, 12:24 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Ford's GT is spectacular but what does it really mean? To me it means they cannot design a sports car within the price range of the average, above average or even well to do buyers. It takes 150k worth of clams to squeeze your bod into that one. For less than half the price of the GT I can have a Boxter S, simple as that. Ford's Mustang is little more than a heavy sled on 4 wheels with a supercharger. They cannot corner or stop for $hit. Don't even get me started on their looks. Want a really fast earth scorching car? Then strap on rocket boosters and hit the button if that's all you want from a car. My idea of a sports car is one that can corner and stop as it goes fast. This sports car can be docile in every day traffic, fuel efficient and reliable. This my 951 has been in every way. If you do your own work a properly maintained 944 is a low maintenance no hassle transportation. The only attainable American sports car I recognize as such are the Corvette and Viper the rest are posers.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:37 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by EZRider
Ford's GT is spectacular but what does it really mean? To me it means they cannot design a sports car within the price range of the average, above average or even well to do buyers. It takes 150k worth of clams to squeeze your bod into that one. For less than half the price of the GT I can have a Boxter S, simple as that. Ford's Mustang is little more than a heavy sled on 4 wheels with a supercharger. They cannot corner or stop for $hit. Don't even get me started on their looks. Want a really fast earth scorching car? Then strap on rocket boosters and hit the button if that's all you want from a car. My idea of a sports car is one that can corner and stop as it goes fast. This sports car can be docile in every day traffic, fuel efficient and reliable. This my 951 has been in every way. If you do your own work a properly maintained 944 is a low maintenance no hassle transportation. The only attainable American sports car I recognize as such are the Corvette and Viper the rest are posers.
No offense Pete but what are you basing your claims on? Have you driven one? From what I've heard it's a fantastic sports car.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:50 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by brrt50cal
No offense Pete but what are you basing your claims on? Have you driven one? From what I've heard it's a fantastic sports car.
No offense taken. Were you referring to the GT as fantastic? Of course at $150k it had better be as I am certain it is. But it's priced out into the stratosphere. And for that matter why stop there? There are a few Ferraris and Lamborghinis which are much better if price is no object. For my money, if I had any , I'd bet on the Porsche's GT instead.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:58 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing that I, personally, would take into account is the price of fixing something on the car. I'm almost certain the Ford would be cheaper to maintain and to fix than say a Ferrari or Lambo. Granted, I'd take the Porsche GT over it any day but for a Ford, it's pretty damn nice.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

blah blah...

i love how biased tom is agains his 944. any car like that you buy that the p.o. hasn't kept up the maint will need some sort of something... i'm tired of hearing the complaining! y'all go into these cars knowing what to expect(at least you should after spending any length of time on here) i've had to do very little to my '84 and i drive it HARD, i've put 20k on it in two years. ball joints (big whoop) and the initial belt change. $5500 and the cost of fuel, not too bad if you ask me. this is a well cared for example, buy a pos like tom's car and thats what happens (if you're **** retentive like me(and alot of people on here) and need it to be as close to 100% as possible.)

that being said, we've had plenty of problems with our ford cars over the years, my dad is a big ford guy. however, they have always treated him right when big problems did come up, and the small ones were usually easily fixed.

of course, you could say i'm biased towards the mullets because every one i see is a flaming hot riced/too muscled out POS, and they ALL want a piece of the 944... yet none want to take it to the track. i'm sure tom's car is nice and all, but it's no 944, neither is any ford.

-Michael-
Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
More like

First
On
Race
Day
Flimsey
Old
Rebuilt
Datsun

Driver
Roaming
On
Freeway
(backwards)

Foward
Only
Reverse
Defective
Old 11-19-2003, 01:46 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Quick Reply: Did all you Ford nay-sayers miss this?