Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did all you Ford nay-sayers miss this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 02:17 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Your all just jealous.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:18 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by Fishey
not to mention the car is almost 0 percent built in America
thats not a bad thing..
Old 11-18-2003, 02:19 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's alright, we all know Fords suck Harry! Hell, my grandpa made a nice living fixing them since the Korean War!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:28 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That was VERY cool. I have no idea what it was about that clip, but it just made me feel the same way I feel when I get to see my car. Say what you will about Ford, I _LIKE_ the GT40.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the value of these cars don't skyrocket, which the will because of such limited production numbers, I would certainly own one in the future. I'd take one over a 996 too.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:56 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by hoffman912
who cares, its still a ford. its also the only great sports car they made in the last 40 years.. maybe thats why they brough it back, cause they cant do any better.

sorry to seem like an *** tonight.
And Chevy or Dodge have??? LOL
Keeping to american makes, Ford isn't by far the make that fails the most often. Poor Mopar...

Not much to say about Chevy- new designers and engineers might help?
Not saying that Ford's economy line isn't just that - economy, but they make quality, fashionable cars (except for the Torus UGH).
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Retro's great, but.... I was reading that the original car had horrible aerodynamics and lots of lift at speed. They tweaked the new (larger) body and the underbelly and got some downforce with an improved Cd of 0.42(!) And it still looks sort of like a GT40 (like a 996 looks like a 911?)

Time marches on.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:10 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
And Chevy or Dodge have??? LOL
Keeping to american makes, Ford isn't by far the make that fails the most often. Poor Mopar...

Not much to say about Chevy- new designers and engineers might help?
Not saying that Ford's economy line isn't just that - economy, but they make quality, fashionable cars (except for the Torus UGH).
no, chevy and dodge are even worse. if i had to have my choice of the big 3, id pic ford. (notice thats if i was really forced to make a choice!!)

chrystler will (currently are?) drag mercedes down with it. infact many die hard MB owners have certianly noticed that the quality of their cars now days has certianly dropped sice the merger.
then again, their new crossfire isnt too bad. but then again, chrystler never designed a thing on it. chasis, suspension etc were all designed and built by Karmann Karrosorie (sp). (chrystler maybe built the engine if that). yes.. thats the same Karmann who built vw chasis (karmann ghia), as well as was another factory contracted by porsche to help keep their supply up (put out a number of 356's, 912's, 911's along with the porsche factory), as well as worked as a coach maker for several other car companies.

chevy.. theyre not even worth mentioning.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:28 AM
Eddie McLaughlan
Instructor

Good thing is, there is lots of performance parts for the "Big Three"
My Expedition can spank my 968 off the line and does the 1/4 mile in 14.5.
Cant take a curve for sh*t though. Forgot to mention the Expy is supercharged,3.73 gears and K&N filter.
Talk about a sleeper, it is priceless to see peoples faces when they have been spanked by a #6000 truck
Old 11-18-2003, 04:49 AM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

First of all, the new Ford GT (Not GT40 since Ford no longer owns that name) is not old technology at all. It is not a redesign of the old GT40. The car is completely new and redesigned...it is only made to look like the GT40. They are extremely fast and would beat most new porsches on the track with ease.

As for the comments about American car companies...I don't quite understand what you are thinking there. For one "Chevy" (I assume you mean GM here...) has the highest average quality and reliability ratings of all three. They make the widest range of automobiles, from a Corvette Z06 to Cadillac Seville to Pontiac GTO. Ford has spent billions on quality control problems in the last few years and Chrysler almost went out of business because their cars and management were so terrible (less Lee Iacoca). General Motors is also the most profitable and largest of the three. In addition, they have spent a great deal more money than the other American automakers in the last few years on R&D and have come out with some great products in my mind (see above automobiles).

I think Chevy might be worth mentioning.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think the quality of most new american cars sucks. Not that they wont run well or last along time, they just dont feel right. Give me a nissan or toyo, not to mention the german persuasion, anyday.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The people in the village were real poor, so none of the children had any toys. But this one little boy had gotten an old enema bag and filled it with rocks, and he would go around and whap the other children across the face with it. Man, I think my heart almost broke. Later the boy came up and offered to give me the toy. This was too much! I reached out my hand, but then he ran away. I chased him down and took the enema bag. He cried a little, but that's the way of these people.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Originally posted by FormulaOne10
It is not a redesign of the old GT40. The car is completely new and redesigned
Knowing how Ford build cars now, I'd take the original 30 year old one any day!

If I had to pick one of the big 3, I'd walk.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason why companies like Ford and Chrysler look to the past for design ideas, e.g. the P.T cruiser and Thunderbird etc., is that it sells in North America. It's nostalgia-based marketing, the same thing Harley's been doing for so long. Personally, I don't get it.

It's a testament to the original GT 40 that the new car still looks good.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by hoffman912
thats not a bad thing..
The original was built in Britain.

Quick Reply: Did all you Ford nay-sayers miss this?