Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped a strut stud..what do i do!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt assumes you'll leave the strut attached to the spindle and work in the wheel well. Which is certainly do-able but without a GOOD spring compressor (cheap ones have been known to slip and launch the spring) and either and air wrench or the special top nut strut socket that allows you to hold the shaft while loosening the nut it's very difficult to remove the upper nut.

good luck it's not a big deal job either way.

If you do decide to replace the plate and take the strut out take the assembly to any auto parts store and they should switch it for a couple of bucks saving you the trouble and expense of compressing the spring and trying to loosen the top nut without the proper tools.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright i understand now, thanks big time guys. I originally planned on just doing this in the driveway, but i think im going to to take it to my fathers shop to fix. I am not too confident using a spring compressor on my own. Im not going to bother drilling out the stud because i dont have any power tools tools with me on campus (unless you think i can do it with a scewdriver ). I just hope the new mount gets here before next Tuesday.

Im gonna have a tough time explaining this one to my dad. Whats nice about living on campus, i can get all the **** i order delivered without them having to know what i am getting (or as they say waste my money on). They just dont understand my love obsession! Hes not even going to care probably, just im gonna feel like a total dumbass!

Even missing a bolt it still looks great! Too bad i cant test it though
Old 11-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Al - I was assuming he would remove it and mark the eccentric so he could line it up again. Either way I can swap a strut in no more than 15 mins. In the car would be easier but you would have to use the junk compressors versus a wall mounted purpose built spring compressor. You can grab the rod with a pair of soft tip channel locks (WAY up at the top) and turn the top nut with a 22MM IIRC. If you cant change a strut you should not be working on cars. I put this in the top 3 easiest jobs you can do.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Just got the part finally, just in time for me to go home. I just wanted to know, will i need to have the wheels alligned once i replace the mount, bushing and bearing?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:28 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a solid number for the torque on those puppies ? I'm about to take off my strut brace the PO installed (Brey Krause - for sale if anyone's interested), so I'll need to re-tighten them.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Its almost embarassing to read this old post, it was in my younger, more inexperienced days

Man, talk about a blast from the past.

18 ft-lbs, using an X-pattern to torque them.

Quick Reply: Snapped a strut stud..what do i do!