Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers. Yes, again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tspangle
...It seems to me that hubcentric spacers with longer studs is the lightest, simplest solution?
Originally Posted by MistaX
...I'm also not sure about the strength of long studs on hubcentric spacers, I'm thinking the studs would be under more stress and more likely to sheer. Probably a non-issue in street driving, unless you hit a pothole the right-wrong way.
You've almost concluded that regular hubcentric spacers rather than the bolt-on type are the way to go and I agree. The longer studs will not be under any more stress on a hubcentric spacer. This is the method Porsche used when they added factory spacers to our cars.

Edit: forgot to mention, you will probably have to machine the lip on any spacers you get in order to clear the grease cap, it's a common condition.

Last edited by MAGK944; 05-24-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
You've almost concluded that regular hubcentric spacers rather than the bolt-on type are the way to go and I agree. The longer studs will not be under any more stress on a hubcentric spacer. This is the method Porsche used when they added factory spacers to our cars.
Just a point of reference the factory used 28mm spacers, on 72mm studs. Would they have gone all the way to 40mm? Hard to say, would be interesting to know the discussions that went into the spacer decision in Stuttgart back in the day.

And I agree, only worrying about torquing 20 lugs per car, is better than worrying about 40 (especially when it is difficult to check half of them).
Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM
tspangle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Just a point of reference the factory used 28mm spacers, on 72mm studs. Would they have gone all the way to 40mm? Hard to say, would be interesting to know the discussions that went into the spacer decision in Stuttgart back in the day.
Thanks, folks. I think I know what I'm going to do now. I'm not going to try to go 40mm, at least for now. If I'm somewhere between 25 and 30mm, that should at least fix my strut clearance issue. If I need to add more from there, I'll consider it then.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to change some words here...
We'll have Bolt on Type wheel spacers, and Washer type wheel spacers...

Both types can be hubcentric, and hubcentric is superior to lugcentric in every sense so lugcentric is not even worth discussing.

The load on a washer-type spacer with long studs has a lot of leverage on the ends of the studs, with the spacer counter acting that leverage on the opposite studs along with the hub. They can shear (or just bend, let's not be too drastic all the time) based on that leverage. Some of the load goes to the hub though, which is why hubcentric is already superior to lugcentric, nevermind all the balancing issues.
Quality and strength of the long studs will be important, along with torquing the lugs correctly. Over-torquing is going to stretch the lugs and make them even weaker. The bigger the spacer, the longer the studs, the worse this issue gets.

A bolt on type doesn't have that leverage issue, but the spacer itself is subjected to force, so a weak or poorly machined material would crack or outright break. A second consideration is the quality of the studs installed in the spacer. Crappy studs will shear no matter what, and there's no way to really say they're any good in any given spacer until they fail, or they don't.
Torquing lugs still important, but the spacer to hub studs are going to be "once and done" so as long as you get that right it'll last until you need wheel bearings next week. The second set of studs, assuming they're OEM quality, would act like OEM studs. Overall certainly heavier because there's just more material and more stuff going on.

There's also a matter of balancing and machining precision for both types... and they both will wreck wheel bearings for the same reasons. Leverage. Bolt on probably more because of more weight.
It's safer not to run spacers at all, but if you have to pick one there's no silver bullet answer. There's plenty of stories of both types failing, but the common theme is over-torquing.

At least that's my understanding of it and I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by MistaX; 05-24-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:56 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to change some words here.......
I cannot understand your argument as there is no shear force on lug bolts. The lug bolts, regardless of their length, act only to hold the wheel to the hub. It's the hub that takes all the force in a hubcentric arrangement.

As for spacers, what you are calling "washer" spacers are regular spacers. The bolt-on type are really adapters as that type was first made to adapt say a four bolt wheel to a five bolt wheel and buy design also created a spacer. These days they use the adapter types as a lazy method of fitting a spacer without changing the lug bolts, no car manufacturer does it that way, they all use regular spacers.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 PM
MistaX
Instructor

I cannot understand your argument as there is no shear force on lug bolts. The lug bolts, regardless of their length, act only to hold the wheel to the hub. It's the hub that takes all the force in a hubcentric arrangement.
Only in static weight bearing. That's completely not true in any kind of lateral load situation. For example, you can remove all your lugs and your wheels stay on until you attempt to turn. Not that I recommend trying it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Only in static weight bearing. That's completely not true in any kind of lateral load situation. For example, you can remove all your lugs and your wheels stay on until you attempt to turn. Not that I recommend trying it.
Sorry but you have lost me completely with your reasoning. There is absolutely no shear force on wheel lugs both statically or dynamically.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Sorry but you have lost me completely with your reasoning. There is absolutely no shear force on wheel lugs both statically or dynamically.
Then how or why do they break?

Bottom line is either way is going to work, there's a ton of people running spacers, they're relatively safe, treat them with respect and don't air gun your wheels on and you're fine no matter which way you choose to go. The forces it takes to actually rip the studs apart are certainly higher than you're going to hit with an NA 944 on street tires. I just think those forces are lower with super long studs than a high quality bolt on spacer.

But you'll still need wheel bearings more often.

Last edited by MistaX; 05-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

The forces it takes to actually rip the studs apart are certainly higher than you're going to hit with an NA 944 on street tires.
you never know...yesterday i took off from a light so hard, that the center speaker grille popped out of the dash and ended up in the back seat
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I've got a pair of 50mm spacers if you want them for $100+shipping.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the offer, but I ordered some 72mm studs and 1" spacers this morning.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tspangle
Couple of reasons, for one, it's getting awfully hard to find 15" tires. Second, I'm just not a fan of the look. Maybe it goes back to my Fox Mustang days, but phone dial wheels have never been a favorite of mine.
The new BFGoodrich Rival S 1.5 in 225/45-15 is, in my opinion, the best tire you could possibly put on the car on 15/7 wheels. I'm an autocrosser, but I'd use them for the street too, because huge grip and response and not loud like the Bridgestone.

There's also a 245/40 which would work well on 8" wide wheels.

Of course, it's a summer tire.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers. Yes, again.