Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear View Mirror Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Rear View Mirror Position

So I had a glass installer over today and we re-installed the windshield into my '84 944 after painting. A few minutes later I'm inspecting the job and realize that the rear view mirror is not centered in the middle of the windshield. It's offset to the passenger side by several inches. My **** retentive nature is screaming that this can't be right. That said, is there any chance that Porsche intentionally offset the rear view mirror for some reason?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 PM
No Lag
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It's possible, but when we design them in our cars their is always an effort to center them. When it's not is due to rain sensors and cameras you find in today's newer cars.
It's centered on my S2 right over the centered antenna line.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

I admit that I would be surprised to find that it was intentional by the factory but it never hurts to check with the forum. I'm kicking myself that I didn't verify the position with a tape measure. Sigh.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

The 84 will not have an antenna wire in the windshield to reference off of. I have intentionally offset the button by a little (toward the passenger side) to provide better forward vision on the track. I would give this new setup a chance. If you don't like it, decide where you really do want it and then re-affix the button to that location. It's not hard to do. Put a little grease pencil spot (or tape) on the outside of the windshield where you want it moved to. Use the Loctite kit (or similar) to bond it to the glass.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Scott, thanks for your reply. Actually, on my full track car, the mirror is in a bad spot when centered as you are attempting to look thru the diagonal on the roll bar. So I appreciate that centered is not always optimal. When I sat in the drivers seat and checked it out, it all seemed very natural and vision was good. Since removing the "button" at this point may break the windshield, I'm content to live with it for the time being.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Scott, thanks for your reply. Actually, on my full track car, the mirror is in a bad spot when centered as you are attempting to look thru the diagonal on the roll bar. So I appreciate that centered is not always optimal. When I sat in the drivers seat and checked it out, it all seemed very natural and vision was good. Since removing the "button" at this point may break the windshield, I'm content to live with it for the time being.
How about a second button in a more preferred location?

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Position