Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll bar for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017 | 09:26 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SloMo228
A full cage is definitely a bad idea in a street car, but I don't think a rollbar or half cage would be an issue since all the bars are behind the seat. If your head manages to get behind the seat in a crash, you probably have bigger worries than smacking a bar...
Never heard of a seat breaking? Not as uncommon as you might think.
Old 05-03-2017 | 01:00 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
Never heard of a seat breaking? Not as uncommon as you might think.
Fair point! Also a good reason to avoid low-quality aftermarket seats.
Old 05-03-2017 | 01:04 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

This is an interesting topic.

Regarding collisions, there are so many WHAT IFS.

Some say door bars are the most needed protection item, others think rollover protection is required.

Having been one who installed a Hanksville weld in rollbar & installed seats & harnesses in a daily driver I can say I have made mistakes, such as learning:
-welding ruins your glass from splatter if left unprotected.
-6 point and 5 point harnesses were designed for seats with a 5th hole, racing seats with 4 holes were designed for 4 point and usually don't work well with oem 3 point harnesses.
-I made the jump from 3 to 6 point and really wish I went 4 point.
Old 05-03-2017 | 01:23 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
What should I be looking at for a roll bar for my 87S? I'm going to use it for DE's and want to add one but not looking to turn it into a race car.

Thanks

Chris
OH GOOD!

An 87 944S is an Excellent car with Excellent Seat mounts... so much more solid than earlier versions!

--------

Heres a thought. New way of thinking, but it "feels true" from the drivers seat.

Air bags changed the game in a big way. Those of us without airbags risk destroying our faces on the steering wheel. So we lock our selves in with belts & seats? Now in a collision the head with a heavy helmet can rock & roll so a Hans device is a very good idea.

Now your head and neck is safe.

Or is it?

Rollover protection. Lets face it, you probably are at risk for a side collision more than a rollover, but if you carefully study the parts of your car that will collapse in a rollover, I now think a rollbar and racing seats/harness is "false protection" because your neck and back is going to break.

You are better off with a 3 point oem harness and seats and rollbar in a rollover than 4,5,6 point harness, because it allows your body to conform to the shape of the collapsing roof & a-pillars. Whereas if you are locked in, your neck is going to snap before the rollbar protects you.
Old 05-03-2017 | 02:06 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Rollover protection. Lets face it, you probably are at risk for a side collision more than a rollover, but if you carefully study the parts of your car that will collapse in a rollover, I now think a rollbar and racing seats/harness is "false protection" because your neck and back is going to break.

You are better off with a 3 point oem harness and seats and rollbar in a rollover than 4,5,6 point harness, because it allows your body to conform to the shape of the collapsing roof & a-pillars. Whereas if you are locked in, your neck is going to snap before the rollbar protects you.
I'm a tall guy too (6'3") and with a helmet I can touch the roof. I can totally see your point.
Old 05-03-2017 | 02:08 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will968
I have a Redline bar for sale if you're interested - $375 with hardware. I'm not far from Lime Rock either.
Sent you another PM.
Old 05-05-2017 | 11:06 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

I'm going to be picking up the Redline bar from will968 next week. This thread worked out nicely!
Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2017 | 12:29 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

I'm a tall guy too (6'3") and with a helmet I can touch the roof. I can totally see your point.
Your welder should know this but the secret for us tallies is to cut holes in the floor first. This will provide extra room near the roof for the welds. Then you raise it up and the floor pieces will cover the holes.
Old 05-07-2017 | 11:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any empirical evidence of how well the Redline bar performs?

Like in a roll over? http://www.redlinerennsport.com/SafeguardPage.html

For harness I am sure it is fine.

I have one in my DE 968.
Old 05-08-2017 | 10:12 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

This is the one I run, similar to Redline (also uses same mounting points) but with some additional triangulation. Produced by the same person that makes High Strung 44 control arms.
Old 05-08-2017 | 10:39 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

There's a reason all sanctioned racing organizations don't allow 4 point... They're just not as good at holding you in place as a 5 or 6 point belt.

OH GOOD!

Heres a thought. New way of thinking, but it "feels true" from the drivers seat.

Air bags changed the game in a big way. Those of us without airbags risk destroying our faces on the steering wheel. So we lock our selves in with belts & seats? Now in a collision the head with a heavy helmet can rock & roll so a Hans device is a very good idea.
Airbags aren't about "saving your face on the steering wheel", but rather they are to reduce blunt trauma to the head from the windshield. The also reduce basal skull fractures (your skull breaking off of your spinal cord).

But, you are right, put on a helmet, and now, with the extra weight, a basal skull fracture is more likely. That is specifically why the HANS (head and neck restraint) device was invented - to help hold the helmet back so your neck doesn't overextend.

Full harnesses aren't street legal because, like condoms, they are highly susceptible to user error. When used properly, they're great... but too many people either don't have the belts mounted properly, don't use a proper seat with them, or don't tighten them down enough. 3 point belts are more tolerant to lackadaisical idiots.

Anecdotally, the majority of accidents I've seen at the track (both at DEs and races) are single car impacts with stationary objects. Properly attached/used harnesses, seat, and head/neck restraint do wonders to keep people safe in those.

Porsches are pretty strong in rollovers (unless they're convertibles) - a roll bar like you're getting isn't really going to change that or make it more robust. But, again, it provides you with a way to properly mount a 5 or 6 point harness. And that will help you in ALL impacts - even a rollover.
Old 05-08-2017 | 12:15 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

-6 point and 5 point harnesses were designed for seats with a 5th hole, racing seats with 4 holes were designed for 4 point and usually don't work well with oem 3 point harnesses.
You can sit on the anti-submarine belt(s) if you don't have a seat with the fifth hole. They attach to the same mount as the lap belt. I'll see if I can find a diagram. Many (SCCA) tech inspectors have been surprised by this. I usually have to show them the diagram in the rule book.

OK - found it. Sorry for the poor quality image. This is from the current GCRs.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 05-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2017 | 03:00 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Thanks to wil968 I have the Redline bar installed! One step closer.

Next part: Is it okay to mount the FE to this bar or do I really need to get one of the (what seems overpirced) mounts for the passenger seat (manual)?
Thanks
Chris
Old 06-07-2017 | 09:38 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Thanks to wil968 I have the Redline bar installed! One step closer.

Next part: Is it okay to mount the FE to this bar or do I really need to get one of the (what seems overpirced) mounts for the passenger seat (manual)?
Thanks
Chris
Will you be able to reach it....? I don't think I'd risk it becoming a projectile.

Hand-held is minimum in PCA but an onboard sytem with a minimum 2 T nozzles should be.

If I'm in a cabin full of smoke doing 100mph in traffic, the last thing I wanna be thinking is the procedure steps to unbuckle a floor mounted handheld.

ESS comes with it's own mount.

T
Old 06-07-2017 | 10:44 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Remember guys this is not a race car, just something for DE. I'm not going to install a fire suppression system, just wondering if others have bolted to other location besides the seat bracket.

Quick Reply: Roll bar for DE?