Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my car have a Turbo nose ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 03:25 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Does my car have a Turbo nose ????

Someone pointed out that the front end of my car has been replaced with a trubo front end (not the bumpers but the piece right in front of the hood). I am attaching a picture to refer what I am talking about. I guess the turbo piece is longer and the tip is actually near the bumper versus the non turbo piece? Is this true?
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:26 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

If this is true, then why was mine replaced the PO? As far as I know this car has been accident free.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:30 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

The part where the headlight covers meet the header panel (which is what you are referring to) would show a gap towards the center. It looks like this is the case. If you know any 944 guys near you, meet up with one and see if the gaps seem to match. If not, then it's ben swapped.
No good reason to do this unless you are planning on converting to the factory turbo nose (you would also need new headlight covers, new fenders, and the turbo nose itself (which inclludes the lights and the 'batwing' lower spoiler)
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:36 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

As I remember, your headlights also had a different slope and gap angle top to bottom. I would say it has been replaced as well. Could have been something as simple as a parking lot bump, or a debris strike. The paint match is so good on yours; I'll bet you never noticed it until there were others to compare it to.

As an aside, I am going to a timing belt party (just like yours) in Conneticut this Saturday.

How has yours been? How is the new house? How are the attack Bassets?
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:39 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 944 Fanatic
The part where the headlight covers meet the header panel (which is what you are referring to) would show a gap towards the center. It looks like this is the case. If you know any 944 guys near you, meet up with one and see if the gaps seem to match. If not, then it's ben swapped.
No good reason to do this unless you are planning on converting to the factory turbo nose (you would also need new headlight covers, new fenders, and the turbo nose itself (which inclludes the lights and the 'batwing' lower spoiler)
Well, from the picture above, you can see that my gap is alot smaller in toward the center bumper than the black car...
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:44 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Singpilot
As I remember, your headlights also had a different slope and gap angle top to bottom. I would say it has been replaced as well. Could have been something as simple as a parking lot bump, or a debris strike. The paint match is so good on yours; I'll bet you never noticed it until there were others to compare it to.

As an aside, I am going to a timing belt party (just like yours) in Conneticut this Saturday.

How has yours been? How is the new house? How are the attack Bassets?
Hi there

Wow another timing belt party in another state.. Are you going to CT for that or you happen to be there for something else. Please share the event or pictures on this board when done. (is that thread in Regional section as well?). You know this timing belt party trend is catching on!! I am still in La Mirada. Moving to Lake Forest, next week. I am now drving the 944 almost daily now that I am confident my belts are new. I get so much better mileage than the Jeep Cherokee.
My beagle got an ear infection. They might have remove one of her ears.
I hope not..
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:48 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

Oh, that's sad news for the Beagle. She made enough noise for two Bassets.

The CT party is on the Pelican board in the 944 section. Sounds like 20 people or so. I am in NYC all weekend for a trip, so it was an easy call. Beats sitting in the hotel room in Manhattan. Only downside is that I am driving in a Hertz Taurus.

Best wishes on the doggie.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:50 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually I can't see that in your picture very well. What indicates it to me is the uneven gap at the bottom of the headlight cover, as those are different between the NA and the Turbo.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:59 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 944 Fanatic
Actually I can't see that in your picture very well. What indicates it to me is the uneven gap at the bottom of the headlight cover, as those are different between the NA and the Turbo.
So your saying is that all Turbos has the uneven gap at the bottom of the headlight cover?
Old 11-13-2003 | 04:02 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

I think what he means is that there are different headlight covers for each version, and you have the mix. The Turbo covers would exactly match your Turbo nose. Your Non-Turbo covers fit slightly differently to your Turbo nose.
Old 11-13-2003 | 04:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Looks like you definetly have a turbo header panel. That means you are going to have problems when you put that Fiberworks thing on you bought. It won't line up correctly. You need to source a n/a header panel.

Tifo
Old 11-13-2003 | 05:32 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tifosiman
Looks like you definetly have a turbo header panel. That means you are going to have problems when you put that Fiberworks thing on you bought. It won't line up correctly. You need to source a n/a header panel.

Tifo
Tifo, I think you got me confused with another person. I am not buying or bought Fiberworks front end..
Old 11-13-2003 | 05:40 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, it looks like a turbo header panel. The headlight covers actually look like they might have ben replaced too, but it's hard to tell from that pic. Do you have any higher resolution ones?
Old 11-13-2003 | 05:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by esanmiguel
Tifo, I think you got me confused with another person. I am not buying or bought Fiberworks front end..
DOH! Sorry! That was Anatolioa (sp?) that ordered the Fiberworks front end. Sorry! I'm a 'tard...............

Tifo
Old 11-13-2003 | 06:21 PM
Sasha
Instructor

I don't think you have turbo front end. The bumper, the nose panel and the valance wouldn't fit at all. The small gap there indicates propably the bumper shocks are either shot, shorter or from a turbo, so the bumper doesn't stick out as far.

Just my opinon
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Does my car have a Turbo nose ????