Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Marines have lost one of their best

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default The Marines have lost one of their best

I am so very sad right now. One of my good friends has died. A Marine Sgt., this 26 year old could pound anyone if he wanted to, but would rather love them and share the Gospel with them. Anyone who spent five minutes with Lonnie wanted to spend an hour more. We used to talk after church about EVERYTHING. He is why I never, till this day, use a straw to drink a drink (to-go cups are exceptions to the Lonnie Rule of Straw drinking). Because, "real mean don't use straws. Come on Matt, wait, look at me [Lonnie starts drinking out of a straw] -- doesn't that look stupid?"

I swear there is no one in this world who I would rather have by my side in any situation. He would give his life for his friends. He grew up in a rough neigborhood, was in a gang, and then one day started reading the Bible. After several years, he became Saved, and has since touched so many individuals, litterally everyone he meets, with his kindness, testimony, a true gentle giant this Marine.

So Semper Fi Lonnie, I know you are in heaven. You will be sorely missed by your friends, family, and the Corps. But I know God would never take you unless it was your time.

An amazing tribute to the person who was Lonnie, here is an excerpt from his obituary:

He served in combat in Al Kut from April February through September in VMU-1flying reconaissance surveillance missions in direct support of 1st Marine Expeditionary force in Iraq. So many of his fellow Marines were requesting leave to attend Tuesday's funeral service that a special ceremony was held on Wednesday at Twentynine Palms, Jimmy said.
Where I would be of mind to tell someone to "screw off," Lonnie would say, "Come talk to me." Where I would think, "that guy is stupid for doing that or saying this," Lonnie would think, "I need to love that person." I made the picture below 3 years ago while we attended church together and were in a singles group, where people affectionaitely referred to him as a "the stud saint" because of how "studly" he was while being a Christian that Christians everywhere could look up to as a model for their life.

Lonnie is as true a Patriot and a Saint as I or anyone will ever have the pleasure to know. Thank you for touching my life, Lonnie.

Life is precious. Lonnie H. dead at 26. Semper Fi Lonnie.

Last edited by Matt Olde; 11-13-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, I am very sorry to hear about this loss. He sounds like a big man with an even bigger heart.
He would give his life for his friends.
And it sounds like he did. I have undeniable respect for a Marine. He will be in my thoughts.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Semper Fi. May God welcome his brave son home with open arms.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots, and of tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

The tyrants are next.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:32 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys. Lonnie didn't die in combat, he died in his bed just a couple days after returning from Iraq. I hope it was painless for him.

I am very sad. Trying to write a paper for school but I can't get these thoughts out of my head. I wish I could talk to Lonnie. I wish I kept up with him more. Guys email your friends and family! You never know what could happen.

I love you Lonnie! Stud saint!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:44 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a great guy...he'll be in my prayers
Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Bummer,
As a former Marine, I feel the loss also. He's in a much better place.
Matt, Where do you go to Church?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt:

Please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of your friend. I spent over 20 years in the US Navy, and during that time I lost several friends, both sailor and Marine.

Always remeber that your friend was part of a noble and just cause, and that his sacrifice was not in vain.

Peace to you my friend, and peace to all those who are left behind and mourn his loss.

Semper Fi.

Clifton Hipsher
Interior Communications Chief petty Officer
United States Navy (Ret)
Old 11-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Chris's Loss
Instructor

Sounds like not only the Marines lost one of their best, but mankind as well.

Now is a good time for all of us to reflect on how we impact the lives of others and learn to live by this young man's example.

Take care, Matt. We'll all be thinking of you.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,

Sorry to hear about your friend. His friends and family will be in my prayers.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry, Matt....
Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Matt; there are no words that can express our feelings , that comes from within all of us. I think I can safely say that all the vets on this board lose a little of ourselves when we lose a comrad in arms. It is difficult to express that special bond among all veterans. Very few people truly understand what freedom is about, for freedom is not free ,there is, and will always be a price to pay. Lonnie knew this full well and chose to honor a commitment to this end. He resides in a better world now ,but I can assure you he will not be forgotten.

From a screaming eagle to a gyrene . god bless you and your family
Old 11-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thank so much guys. It's so hard to know that you will never see someone again. He was going to go to my commissioning. He affectionaitely joking said once, "Matt, do you want me to come and be your show and tell for your ROTC class?" He used to kid me about that.

Everyone, when your waitress gives you a straw with your drink, think of my friend Lonnie. Because "real men don't use straws."

Here is the entire news article that I received:

Services held for local Marine at San Joaquin National Cemetery

Friday, October 10, 2003

By Sarah Sanders-- Reporter
(sarahs@losbanosenterprise.com)

Marines from Twentynine Palms were at San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery in Santa Nella on Tuesday evening to take part in funeral services for one of their own, Los Banos resident Lonnie Harley. The procession of vehicles to the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery on Tuesday afternoon seemed to never end. Hundreds of family members, friends and fellow soldiers turned out to celebrate the life of United States Marine Corps Sgt. Lonnie David Harley, who died Sept. 29 at Twentynine Palms. He was 26. The son of Los Banos resident Janet Contreras, and her
husband, Jimmy, Mr. Harley had served his country in Operation Iraqi Freedom from February through September. He died shortly after returning to his base at Twentynine Palms. The cause of his death was not immediately available.

"Not only did he serve God, he served his family, his friends and his country," said New Beginnings...Pastor Donald ***, who officiated. "Lonnie truly was a saint of the Lord."

Born May 7, 1977 in San Jose, Mr. Harley attended Los Banos High School, then graduated from high school in Merced in 1994. According to Lt. Cl. Scott Myklebly, commanding officer of VMU-1, Mr. Harley joined the Marines in April 1997 while the squadron was deployed to Iraq. He served in combat in Al Kut from April February through September in VMU-1flying reconaissance surveillance missions in direct support of 1st Marine Expeditionary force in Iraq.

So many of his fellow Marines were requesting leave to attend Tuesday's funeral service that a special ceremony was held on Wednesday at Twentynine Palms, Jimmy said. The military flew Mr. Harley's family out for a stay at the base.

About a dozen soldiers did turn out however, to perform a full military funeral complete with presentation of the American flag to Janet and the 21-gun salute. His mother was also presented with his Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for the squadron by Lt. Cl. Scott Myklebly, commanding officer of VMU-1.

"Because of his diligence, efforts and unrelenting resourcefullness, he was respected and admired by all those who observed him," the award read. He was also recipient of the 2003 James McGuire Award for aviation excellence.

But what Mr. Harley will most likely be remembered for are not his accomplishments as a Marine, but as a person. *** described him as "sharing and giving."

"If you know Lonnie for about half a second, you knew the joy he had," he said. *** described his the talks they shared when Mr. Harley would visit his office at the church. "The times I spent with him were precious," he said. Often accompanying guests to church services with him, "He led many to the Lord by his life, his actions, his example," *** said.

In his spare time Mr. Harley enjoyed skydiving, fishing and hunting.
"He loved Jesus; he loved people," Jimmy said. "He and his mom had a good relationship. He loved his sisters."

Other survivors include his sisters, Gina Contreras and Clara Contreras, both of Los Banos; and Rachel Kuhne, and her husband, Robbie, of Fairfield; and grandparents, Dan and Rochelle Harley, of Texas. He also leaves numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.
Reading that, THAT is who Lonnie was. Don't drink from a straw fellas, Lonnie didn't!

God bless,
Matt
Old 11-13-2003, 04:18 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Matt, I'm sorry to hear that your frend died. Semper Fi Lonnie. Matt, my thoughts are with you.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Here's to Lonnie and all the other military personnel. http://www.reoutfitters.com/WeSupportU/WeSupportU.htm
Old 11-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 415 Posts

Sorry to hear you lost a friend
.....you have my most sincere condolences-chris

Semper Fi Lonnie.

Quick Reply: The Marines have lost one of their best