Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche = motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche = motorcycles?

I'm currently doing some "enhancements" on my Suzuki Kat 600. I was taking a break reading the new Carrera GT article in Excellence when a friend of mine commented, "You always have something Porsche around don't you?" (I've also got him saying it correctly, now it bothers him when he hears "Porsh") Then the thought struck me, wouldn't it be incredible for Porsche to get into producing a motorcycle. They could start racing again, just in a different aspect. A pure track GSX-R1000 can be had from anywhere from 15-20k, including buying the bike. I think they'd be one of the best to produce one. What do you all think? Could you see the exotic sports car turned SUV maker building a bike? How about features it has? Engine, materials, gearbox, gauge layout (c'mon you Photoshop guys), etc?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I often wondered this myself. I have a zx7R and thought it would be great if my car and my bike were both Porsches. Maybe one day, who would have ever thought of a Porsche SUV???
Ken968
Old 11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

well, the engine of the new harley V-Rod is designed by porsche themselves. I'm not sure who builds them, but i think harley does.
~Eyal
Old 11-11-2003, 08:27 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I did see an article about Porsche/HD doing a joint venture on something.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The V-Rod was Engine was built by Porsche.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:02 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Way back when I read about a porsche cycle using a flat-6, kind of like the bmw configuration... this was a couple years ago... nothing else of it tho.
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

designed, I know porsche designed it, but does Porsche actually build the Vtwin?
~Eyal
oi-punx
Racer

No doubt it would be extremely cool to see a Porsche produced motorcycle.

Flame away but I don't think it could be done at a competitive pricepoint. The Japanese bikes offer an incredible bang for the buck and many models are near bulletproof (Honda Nighthawk, Kawasaki Concours, etc.). In my opinion this is something that some of the other motorcycle manufacturers cannot touch.

For example the Ducati equivalent of a Suzuki requires more frequent maintenance and is more expensive with comparable or better performance (i.e. GSXR 1000 msrp $10.6k vs. 999 msrp upwards of $17k). Depending on who you talk to this might be an apples to oranges comparison as the Ducati is a twin while the GSXR is a four. In all fairness I have seen very few Japanese bikes that have the panache that the Italians have. Quality of components is also higher (i.e. Ohlins suspension)

It is interesting to note that some european companies use Japanese engines in their bikes (i.e. Cagiva using Suzuki watercooled twins). FWIW I heard that Mahle also helped in design and/or production of the Harley V-Rod.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

HD consulted with Porsche on the DESIGN of the V-rod engine... HD does all the builds (no matter how much anyone wants to claim otherwise). From what I've heard through my contact with Buell, the help wasn't even really on the actual engine, it was more theory to application with a little assistance in the Actual build.

As for Ohlins suspension eing better than Showa or KYB, as a MC suspension tech for Traxxion Dyanimcs (supports AMA level racers, products used in top teams all over the world) ~ I have to say that's a bunch of bunk. There's NOTHING better about Ohlins forks (the GSXR1000 forks are some of the best out there right now), at least till you get to the limited factory sets (100 in the world) that are gas pressurized. Look at the Ducati MotoGP forks for an example... they're basically long "shocks". For shocks, Ohlins is a LONG way off from even being in the same league as Penske. They're more in the league of Fox TCR shocks.

Porsche would Never even think about entering the MC market.. way to little profit margin... negative numbers for the first few years (unless they pull a Bimota and use someone elses engines), and not enough market...
Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

they should definately come up with a flat six touring bike and a high strung flat four for a street ripper
Old 11-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

like i said last time this came up:

"2 wheels and a mid mounted air cooled flat six, porsche in a most unexpected form"
Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The V-Rod is a killer bike!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:49 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you imagine how much it would cost too? Just as much as a car.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:58 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Think of how people want a Porsche. I've seen countless signatures here on Rennlist with the "Wanting a P-car", "FIRST ONE WILL BE HERE NEXT WEEK", "Wishing I were 16", and tons of others. This way, people could be able to say they ride a Porsche. And for some, this could end the aching to own a car, because they will have a piece of that engineering that is coveted by so many and abused by many others. There would be the ones that would rev it up when a lot of people are around just so they could lip read "Porsche" across the row of faces. There would also be the ones who ride like they drive...when no one is around just for their own enjoyment. I know that Porsche understands the desire their cars bring about, but thankfully they won't budge on their standards of what the car should be. Afterall, something different is sometimes awed at. I'm not saying the bikes they could make would be cheap, actually I was thinking around if not slightly higher than the Ducati line, this could still keep the desire for one, but perhaps make it attainable at a certain time. I've only seen 3 or 4 Ducatis and I live in a bike rich environment. Most people don't think the price difference between the Suzi 1k, and the Duc 996/998/999 is worth it when it boils down to performance, and the 1K is faster in top end if I recall the article correctly. So the rarity probably would still be maintained. As for being in the red the first few years, most likely true. Porsche never engineers a half-*** product, as some know, they can over-engineer something (power sun roof for example, too many things to break, cluttered, too complicated for such a simple task). I'm sure Porsche must be aware of the motorcycle market as well. Imagine the impact it would have on the Japanese market when all the Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas, etc all of a sudden show up at dealer ships for trade in because one of the most desired car makers now offers a bike (like Ken968 said, "who ever would have thought of a Porsche SUV?"). This could possiby do wonders for Porsche's income...when coupled to C-GT and Cayanne sells, could rekindle the factory racing program again. People don't know that you can get a 951 for less than 8k, it's the name that causes frowns when it comes to cash. A bike priced between the Hayabusa (11 grand) and the BMW K1200RS (~17k) would turn the heads of a lot of people. Just my thoughts after a few hours of bodywork on a truck. Maybe too much fiberglass inhalation. Feel free to state your own.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:05 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by PorscheG96
The V-Rod is a killer bike!
The Harley posers at a bar I go to call it The Girly Mans Harley.

I remember reading that there was a "German influence" on the Evo. also.

Quick Reply: Porsche = motorcycles?