Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" wheels: What's the deal? Porsche says don't, but it seems lots of people do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
then there is other end of spectrum, the big wheel harsh, man's sport car like porsche should be. It eats small pets from the side of the road, scares young boys, gives sore hand muscles and full pants to newbies and wins races.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
Your reply is right on the money as I suspected !

You think 47 years young is old ! It's not when you get there......
Hardcore means your in that younger stage when your quoting me 300kmh, 500bhp, and Bikes and Boats!

Ditch all of that, and get your Butt in a Racing car and Race for Ten years Like I was fortunate to do, You'll experience a level of driving and learn new skills like you've never done before on any street, and look back at the days when you thought Big wheels and slammed cars was Kool!

R

I get it. You're not old but you feel old. Maybe you just need bigger wheels some blow and few friends of the night. It works wonders with my older friends.

18 wheels are obviously peformance upgrade as much as they are KOOL.

But nothing and I mean not a single thing related to porsche looks more KOOL than your gauge cluster painted in german flag. Its just the kind of KOOL you'd expect from 17 year old owner, not 47. So in a way you captured youth in the most natural way possible.

Last edited by Voith; 03-08-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

That black car in #28 has won multiple club Motorkhana Porsche Club of N.S.W. championships which is in and out of cones in very tight patterns. It also has won class championships on the racetrack. All on 17" or 18" wheels.

Sure, I don't think anyone is arguing that a 16" alloy wheel with a small tyre is going to have less unsprung weight than the 18" with wider tyres. That's a given. Sure, if you have a 924 or stock n/a 944 with low power then slamming your car with big boots simply for the look is going to compromise your steering and comfort. Not sure how many kids that buy these cars care about that though.

Sure, with a low weight car and wheel/tyre combo it's going to be more nimble. But if you have a heavier and MUCH more powerful forced induction example then an 18" wheel with much greater choice of high performance and wider rubber is going to provide better levels of mechanical grip. If I could run wider than 11.5" wheels at all 4 corners with wider rubber than 295 at all 4 corners I would. Might be an extreme example but it's still got mostly stock layout 944 based suspension. If it was beneficial for us to run 16" wheels then we would. There's more than one variant of the front engine water pumpers and therefore more than one wheel/tyre combo that can work.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Davito
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My unsolicited $0.02

Bought my S2 with 18" 993 solid spoke turbo twist installed and felt super heavy. The PO also gave me the original 16" D90s and I put a set of R888 tires, felt 100 times better handling but needed more rubber for track duty, plus tire selection on 16 is very limited

Got me a set of used light weight forged 17" fikses and couldn't be happier, great tire selection and cheaper than 18"s

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2017, 05:55 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That black car in #28 has won multiple club Motorkhana Porsche Club of N.S.W. championships which is in and out of cones in very tight patterns. It also has won class championships on the racetrack. All on 17" or 18" wheels.

Sure, I don't think anyone is arguing that a 16" alloy wheel with a small tyre is going to have less unsprung weight than the 18" with wider tyres. That's a given. Sure, if you have a 924 or stock n/a 944 with low power then slamming your car with big boots simply for the look is going to compromise your steering and comfort. Not sure how many kids that buy these cars care about that though.

Sure, with a low weight car and wheel/tyre combo it's going to be more nimble. But if you have a heavier and MUCH more powerful forced induction example then an 18" wheel with much greater choice of high performance and wider rubber is going to provide better levels of mechanical grip. If I could run wider than 11.5" wheels at all 4 corners with wider rubber than 295 at all 4 corners I would. Might be an extreme example but it's still got mostly stock layout 944 based suspension. If it was beneficial for us to run 16" wheels then we would. There's more than one variant of the front engine water pumpers and therefore more than one wheel/tyre combo that can work.

So to summarise your thoughts, heavy cars and more powerful than standard ones need big diameter wheels ? and lighter and less powerful cars don't ?

What about light and powerful ones?

I'm 99% sure (And it's a calculated guess, which could of course be wrong?) that the OP has a Road car, not a Racing car!

So many times conversations get swung by those they enjoy large power , track days and Racing etc..

How to the heck does "if I could run wider than 11.5" Rims and 295mm tyres" help or even remotely answer the question what's the safety issues with fitting un-recommended 18" wheels on a 944 on public streets ??

This conversation has very little to do with why lighter and +1" from stock wheels are a good set up for street use, but as a few have pointed out why 18" wheels will produce VERY different and adverse driving and performance characteristics when driving on public streets.

Street is the key here, Nothing to do with Racing cars or Road legal cars on trackdays, this is a total different subject!

R
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

So to summarise your thoughts, heavy cars and more powerful than standard ones need big diameter wheels ? and lighter and less powerful cars don't ?

What about light and powerful ones?

I'm 99% sure (And it's a calculated guess, which could of course be wrong?) that the OP has a Road car, not a Racing car!

So many times conversations get swung by those they enjoy large power , track days and Racing etc..

How to the heck does "if I could run wider than 11.5" Rims and 295mm tyres" help or even remotely answer the question what's the safety issues with fitting un-recommended 18" wheels on a 944 on public streets ??

This conversation has very little to do with why lighter and +1" from stock wheels are a good set up for street use, but as a few have pointed out why 18" wheels will produce VERY different and adverse driving and performance characteristics when driving on public streets.

Street is the key here, Nothing to do with Racing cars or Road legal cars on trackdays, this is a total different subject!

R
You seem like a smart guy, can you please state the stats for failures on 924/944/968/928 series cars who have had issues running 18" wheels? Where were the failure points?

I'll wait while you gather those up.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

#1 "I love the look of 18" wheels on 944s, but I've read the Porsche warning about running anything larger than 17". Even still, there seems to be a lot of people who have 18" wheels, and not a lot (I cant find any) evidence (posts) about any sort of failures like Porsche warns about. So what's the story? Is it safe to run 18" wheels? "

Exactly where does the OP's post specify what car and uses he is asking about?? While you state you have substantial race experience we also realise you enjoy being a bit of L'enfant terrible around these parts. Being that this is a car forum and also being that the OP hasn't specified what his preferred uses for his car are, you'll excuse us for covering more than your normal passion of only n/a light sports cars. That's fine. We do understand and while I've agreed with some of your points I'll have to disagree that anything remotely non stock is the work of the devil!

As has been mentioned, the factory won't recommend larger than stock wheels out of a legal reason rather than purely a functional or design reason. Sure, can larger / heavier wheels and stiffer suspension put more load on other components, yup. Is there a loooooong list of those that have gone down this path and suffered major, even minor short or long term issues...Nope!

Can you run a smaller wheel/tyre combo on a light AND powerful car? Of course. There's a limit to what size wheel/tyre combo will work as you won't get enough heat into the carcass to make use of big wide rubber. Can a wheel / tyre combo be too small and offer less traction than is possible? Yup...sure can.

So continue to praise all things lite and nimble by all means. That's your thing and there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't knee jerk criticise those that require a larger wheel/tyre platform than the factory suggests. It's like listening to what the factory says in relation to oil. They'd have us all running around with M1 low zddp 5w/30 if you followed their recommendations.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:48 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeanR
You seem like a smart guy, can you please state the stats for failures on 924/944/968/928 series cars who have had issues running 18" wheels? Where were the failure points?

I'll wait while you gather those up.

No you've got it all wrong !

I'm not arsed or have mentioned anything about Safety in any of my responses!
I throw caution to the wind to safety and my car currently has many features which are not ideal.

I'm referring to the adverse characteristics any car has when fitted with massive wheels.

There's been several other members on this thread who has expressed the same, and there will be thousands more of 924 / 944 & 968 owners that would not entertain or enjoy their cars if they were fitted with 18" wheels.

I 've tried 18" Cayman wheels on my 968

But it was no good, 986 Boxster BBs rims 17" with reduced rim widths and narrower tyres was massively better....

R
Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
#1 "I love the look of 18" wheels on 944s, but I've read the Porsche warning about running anything larger than 17". Even still, there seems to be a lot of people who have 18" wheels, and not a lot (I cant find any) evidence (posts) about any sort of failures like Porsche warns about. So what's the story? Is it safe to run 18" wheels? "

Exactly where does the OP's post specify what car and uses he is asking about?? While you state you have substantial race experience we also realise you enjoy being a bit of L'enfant terrible around these parts. Being that this is a car forum and also being that the OP hasn't specified what his preferred uses for his car are, you'll excuse us for covering more than your normal passion of only n/a light sports cars. That's fine. We do understand and while I've agreed with some of your points I'll have to disagree that anything remotely non stock is the work of the devil!

As has been mentioned, the factory won't recommend larger than stock wheels out of a legal reason rather than purely a functional or design reason. Sure, can larger / heavier wheels and stiffer suspension put more load on other components, yup. Is there a loooooong list of those that have gone down this path and suffered major, even minor short or long term issues...Nope!

Can you run a smaller wheel/tyre combo on a light AND powerful car? Of course. There's a limit to what size wheel/tyre combo will work as you won't get enough heat into the carcass to make use of big wide rubber. Can a wheel / tyre combo be too small and offer less traction than is possible? Yup...sure can.

So continue to praise all things lite and nimble by all means. That's your thing and there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't knee jerk criticise those that require a larger wheel/tyre platform than the factory suggests. It's like listening to what the factory says in relation to oil. They'd have us all running around with M1 low zddp 5w/30 if you followed their recommendations.

It's got nothing to do with safety or lightweight cars or wheels..

It's got everything to do with 18" wheels on Porsche classic transaxles do not drive and handle good on public roads.

R
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
I love the look of 18" wheels on 944s, but I've read the Porsche warning about running anything larger than 17". Even still, there seems to be a lot of people who have 18" wheels, and not a lot (I cant find any) evidence (posts) about any sort of failures like Porsche warns about. So what's the story? Is it safe to run 18" wheels?
If your suspension components are in good shape, there shouldn't be any worry about failures. Upgrade the caster blocks from the wobbly rubber to 968 or better. If that hasn't been done, it's due for it anyway.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

It's got everything to do with 18" wheels on Porsche classic transaxles do not drive and handle good on public roads.
That's your opinion, nothing more. The sooner you realize this and stop berating everyone who doesn't agree, the longer your stay will be around here.
Your constant ranting of "facts" is beyond annoying and has taken a simple question and de-railed this thread into oblivion.

Unless you have some substantiated facts to answer the OP's question about safety, any continued posts in this thread will be considered trolling.

This is your only warning.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every month or two there's a thread on this silly argument. You guys are wasting your time...there's no reasoning with Roger:
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I just point out that 924srr27l is from the UK where there is a great tradition of manufacturing light and nimble sports cars, plus UK roads are a joke, on the other hand most folk who like big fat wheels and tyres come from the good ol US of A (or Aus) where there tradition is for big muscle cars.
Maybe the same starting point (944,924,968 etc) but different direction when it comes to modifications
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Before my car was turned into a dedicated track car it was pretty heavily modified towards track driving. I used to use it daily. The mods included 18" x 10" all round with 275/30 series R spec tyres. Larger 330mm rotors with larger Big Red calipers. It was lowered with KW race suspension and 630/715 spring rates. Bigger sway bars. It had all the rubber mounts removed and replaced with solid spherical bushing/bearings. It had stiffer engine & transmission mounts. So clearly I was certifiably insane and am possibly writing as we speak, from the grave. However as far as I can tell, I lived to tell the tale. Was it absolutely like driving a bucking bronco on the street...nope. Did it handle well...sure did!! Handled like it was on rails and provided many hours of driving pleasure.
The following users liked this post:
fejjj (10-31-2021)
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Opinions are the cheapest commodities on earth. Everyone has a flock of opinions ready to be wished upon anyone who will accept them." Napoleon Hill

Quick Reply: 18" wheels: What's the deal? Porsche says don't, but it seems lots of people do?