Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS- Aluminum Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any alternative?

I"ve picked up a horrible vibration at aboiut 130 (kms/hr) and suspect torque tube carrier bearings or CV joints - but not sure we even have them!

Any ideas for replacement, rebuilding of a TT?

Thanks,

RK
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 AM
badmofofosho
I Bad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to be the one to deliver the bad news but I was told no more TT's from Dave. No details in the PM, he's just not doing them any longer.

He did say his 951 is for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a very expensive way to get a LW TT! ; )

Any other options? If I'm going to pull the thing out to rebuild it - I'm loath to put it back in at full weight!

RK
Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I asked if Dave would be willing to sell the designs so that the group could make more but he tells me that each one was pretty much a custom job in and of itself, meaning making a repeatable process out of it might not be possible.

Clarks Garage does have a writeup on rebuilding the torque tube if anyone is interested in going that route.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul what about the bearing carriers? Could you ask him for the design of those if he made his own?

Other than those, it shouldnt be too hard to make something similar. Only trick would be that end plate to bolt to the engine bellhousing, and there are online machine shop services that can make those. Then its just a matter of finding a source of good 3" aluminum pipe.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by theedge
Paul what about the bearing carriers? Could you ask him for the design of those if he made his own?

Other than those, it shouldnt be too hard to make something similar. Only trick would be that end plate to bolt to the engine bellhousing, and there are online machine shop services that can make those. Then its just a matter of finding a source of good 3" aluminum pipe.

Bringing this back. Anyone?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had good luck re-using the old bearing carriers -- drill out the rivets and pop-rivet them back together.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

I will probably be flamed but wouldn't it have been easier to have supported Dave with some orders and encouraging responses to keep him making some of these per year? Now probably due to the under-whelming responses and somewhat unsupportive posts, he is no longer making these aluminum TTs. From the pictures they looked very well made and thought out. I'm sure you can find someone to make them again, but there will be a learning curve for the builder and his/her time will be expensive. If they are not an enthusiast for this particular model Porsche then it will be a bit harder for them to "get it" on what is needed to fab these. I can't imagine having these made by someone for any less than what Dave was charging.

Originally Posted by theedge

Quick Reply: FS- Aluminum Torque Tube