Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

atch - when I wanted it closed it would open, now I want it open and it stays closed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
C531XHO
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts
Default atch - when I wanted it closed it would open, now I want it open and it stays closed

Hi again, everything seems to be breaking the moment, now the hatch. Fitted new gas struts but this revealed weakness in latches/pins such that the hatch opened whilst driving - quite common by the look of things. As the fix was low on the list of things to do I temporarily disconnected one of the gas struts but now that I am ready to do the job I can't get the hatch to open at all. Is there a knack or way to get at the latch mechanism from the inside of the car?

D
Old 01-28-2017, 03:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 492 Posts

lower the rear seat top, climb back there, pull the carpet down from the back wall (button snaps)...
you now have two options:
1) manually unlatch each side by pushing/pulling on the little white "arm" sticking out...youll know it when you see it
2) using a 10mm wrench loosen the nuts holding the latches to the body enough to wiggle the whole latch around...push up on the hatch and it should open.

when you go to finish the job again, eyeball the latches into being lined up with the pins on the hatch.

tighten the nuts on the latches just so, so that they are in place but still moveable. close the hatch, the pins will "self-align" in the latches.

climb back inside the car and tighten the nuts more...don't go gorilla on them as this will prevent the latches from working. just tight enough (JUST) that the latches don't wiggle anymore.

get out and verify that the hatch opens easily...if not try the alignment procedure again until it works to your satisfaction.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM
C531XHO
Burning Brakes

Thanks Spencer, I'll give it a go. PO has modified the seats in some way so they don't fold down but the hatch squealing is driving me nuts so it must be done!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM
spacedoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for hatch separation at the top of the frame near the roof. The new struts may have made an already-separating hatch even worse, causing the latches to act up (don't ask me how i know... ).
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM
C531XHO
Burning Brakes

Hi spacedoc - thanks for the advice, not sure if I am a sufferer or not but will take a look.

In getting the hatch open and rummaging around the latches I did find the source of my water leak - blocked drain tube allowing water to overspill into the boot.

D

Quick Reply: atch - when I wanted it closed it would open, now I want it open and it stays closed