Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how much of a pain are the balance shaft covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just how much of a pain are the balance shaft covers?

Hello everyone,

I have the engine out of my ’86 NA for a complete reseal, rod bearing replacement, etc.

Done a bit of reading and can’t quite get a clear picture of how much of a pain the BS covers are. Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag of “easy” or “major PITA”. I have a set of Voith’s end cap seals that would be nice to put on and not worry about leaks anytime soon. Currently mine are not leaking and I was thinking of just doing the RTV trick… Clark’s points out making sure you get the seal installed correctly in the upper balance shaft cover for oiling purposes.

So other than the proper Loctite to seal the covers, any other drama? I don’t plan on changing their bearings. Would a 50ml tube be enough to seal both covers or am I going to have to spring for the $90 tube?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

You don't need very much sealant at all for them. I got a 90ml tube for my entire motor and still have 30% left over after all is done. They're very easy, you just unbolt them and smack them loose with a rubber mallet. Then install the new seals around the rear discs (the hardest part with Voith's seals...I have the same ones, but that's a good thing that they're tight). Put it back together following the torque sequence which is easily found online.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

...and don't forget the Loctite 574 before putting those covers back on!

With the engine out, it's easy, you'll regret it if you don't do it.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Thanks for the insights. Yeah, I agree doing them now is the best time since the engine is out.. just curious how much more frustration I'm in for.. )

Is a felt roller required? I seem to remember reading someplace that you can dab the loctite on with your finger and be good to go.

I don't plan on taking the girdle or oil pump off so it sounds like a 20ml tube would be enough.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Just about to do the same on my 951. Definitely do them now. I can't imagine trying to do them in the car.

I would get a small trim roller from the hardware store for use with your Loctite. Just an anecdote.. I used Yamabond 4 when I built my engine in 2001. None of the areas sealed with it leaked in the 60K miles I put on it.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I usually dab it on with the tip of the tube, and spread it around so it's not too thick. 2 engines so far, no leaks.

20ml should be plenty.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Got everything apart today and discovered the largest oil leak I have is actually from the oil pump. So I'll need a little more 574 now.

Very obvious the BS covers had never been off since the o-rings on the caps were old, hard and square. Was nice to see someone had been in there before and replaced all the other seals and o-rings since they were actually in good shape. Thought my oil leak was actually from the lower BS o-ring on the power steering bracket, but it wasn't.

Oh well.. more stuff to clean and fix. At least I'll feel better knowing everything is sealed up again and hopefully no more leaks.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I have enough left in my tube if you want it for cheap. If it doesn't get used in the next few months it'll expire. It's the real deal 574 stuff.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
I have enough left in my tube if you want it for cheap. If it doesn't get used in the next few months it'll expire. It's the real deal 574 stuff.
You have a PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
I have two (large) tubes of 574 that I got from my former Loctite rep - they are at least 17 years old. Just sealed up the oil pump and lower crankcase with the stuff. I doubt they will expire. In fact, the sealant does not cure unless its sandwiched between two surfaces.

Should out last me. Anyone want to get what's left when I stop waking up on the right side of the dirt? I'll put you in the will.

Quick Reply: Just how much of a pain are the balance shaft covers?