Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

semi-ot: yamaha motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:41 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default semi-ot: yamaha motorcycle

hey all,

i'm going to be getting a motorcycle to work on at the beginning of next year. it will replace my 944 as the daily (good fuel economy, and i like wide open cruising), but it needs some work. namely air filters. it's a yamaha 750 special, 1978 vintage. i've not seen pictures or anything yet but i'm getting it for $100 and my 944 office seat. not a bad deal (i have more seats i can make office chairs out of )

anyone have any experience with these motorcycles? anyone know a good place to get parts cheap? anyone know if there's a rennlist of motorcycles?

thanks!
-Michael-
Old 11-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothing like Rennlist for bikes... but there are often small groups of enthusiasts for every make/model. Have fun with POINTS on that bike.. lol..

The bike's known as an XS750, here's a picture of a really clean one:

Here's a link to probably the best site out there (I haven't looked enough to know, but if it's got a domain name it's usually not to bad of a place to start) ~ http://www.yamaha-triples.org/ . And here's a Yahoo groups page for the bike too ~ http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ytriples-l/

Hope you enjoy the bike... make sure to buy good gear, it'll not only pay for itself in the even of an accident, it'll keep you from the elements and last for years on down the road. If, by any chance, you wear a mens M jacket size, I might have one for you (bought it for my fiance, it doesn't fit perfectly and we want to try something else for her).
Old 11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

thanks brian! that is in fact the size i wear got any pictures?

thanks for the info, i no doubt plan on getting some good gear. even if just for cruising, i know its invaluable, as there have been several bad injuries here at riddle in the past year.

-Michael-
Old 11-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just snapped these pictures, I can get more detailed if you need:

http://home.speedfactory.net/bmccoy/ebay/IMG_0518.JPG
http://home.speedfactory.net/bmccoy/ebay/IMG_0519.JPG
http://home.speedfactory.net/bmccoy/ebay/IMG_0520.JPG
http://home.speedfactory.net/bmccoy/ebay/IMG_0521.JPG

There are 5 major vents to help keep you cool, a zip-in Full liner (arms too) for cooler days, leather with foam impact armor in the elbows, shoulders and on the back with the rest of the jacket being cordura. You can see the reflective material in the pictures (that's the difference between the 2 fronts and 2 rear shots - my flash). It's been worn maybe 6 times over a few hundred miles - mostly while a passanger on my bike though also when she was riding hers. 0 damagae/flaws, clean ~ I bought it brand new for her back in 2000. It's a good jacket (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise), no clue on price ~ I'll have to look arround and see what's fair (I paid $250 after dealer discount).

Make sure you get a full face helmet, GOOD gloves and have over the ankle boots. Jeans aren't the best, but they're okay till you decide if you want to invest more $$$ on the sport. For helmets, start with the best by trying on both an Arai and a Shoei (they might be out of your price range, but knowing which of the 2 feels better will help cut the potential helemts in half). Find yourself a shop where you can try them on for an extended peroid.. like 10~15 minutes, you'll be able to feel the pressure points by then ~ just figgure out which one feels the most comfortable. (For me, putting on a Shoei gives me a headache after 3~5 minutes from the massive pressure, I've worn Arais for 8~14 hours in a single day without any pain - it's usually pretty obvious which is the right one for you).

Anyway, enough of my rambling...
Old 11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

hey, sounds good, i'll be needing all the info i can. i'm going to order a helmet for DE's pretty soon, most likely a bell sport 3, full face, but i will probably need to get an M helmet too. i'll be sure to scope out the opportunities.

thanks and keep the info coming!
-Michael-
Old 11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question: how is this semi-OT? Isn't it COMPLETELY OT?!? :P

-Z.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:33 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

lol, not when its replacing my 944 (mention of the porsche) as my daily driver. i noticed there are alot of 944 variant owners that have motorcycles here too, so i figured someone must know something, and have some helpful advice, so far its worked

-Michael-
Old 11-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a 350GTR RR Bridgestone 1969

Yep.... Dream bike...
This bike has POWER! 55hp/42tq(with some small mods 75hp-100hp) and it weights only 300lbs..
Handling is good even in that weird seat position.
Don't try to stop quick though..
Old 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM
cutekid
Intermediate

Hey, I got some gears if you are interested.
Helmet, Jacket, and Glove
Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the triple? They were OK when they came out.
n
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yup its the triple. it's gonna need some parts, it had an air filter fire.

i'm just looking forward to having something to cruise around on and get better than 30 mpg

its also a lot cheaper than buying that S2 cab i keep telling myself i'm gonna get next...

-Michael-
Old 11-07-2003, 02:49 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

cutekid: got any details? i.e. will it fit, etc... i'm already looking at another 'listers jacket, but if i can find a decent deal for some equipment that will fit well i may go for it.

-Michael-
Old 11-07-2003, 03:28 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can really save some $ at http://www.competitionaccessories.com/ , my rear tire was gonna be $180 + tax locally, I got it here for $108 shipped to my door.

They have really good prices on helmets too.

Enjoy, but you people that can ride year round really do suck.....freezing rain 100 miles west of home.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carefull buying tires online at first... there are a lot of shops that'll flat out refuse to mount tires you bring in, and nearly ALL the rest will charge an arm and a leg to do the work (more than it would cost if you bought the tire from that shop). This is done for a reason, changing tires is really the bread and butter of most shops... I happn to buy my tires online (usually from discountmotorcycletire.com) and mount them myself as it's not that difficult.

As for helmets, you can buy them online, but make DAMN sure you know what fits, what gives you blinding headaches and that you're going to have minimal assistance correcting any problems. Also, you just can't buy some helmets online (Arai ~ company policy to not sell mail-order or online, only local).

Paul... It's been mid 70's here for a few weeks... supposed to drop to mid/high 60's for the weekend.. Ahh, beautiful riding weather. Just to rub it in... I don't know how you ride in that OK wind anyway... constanatly leaning against it and being blown all over creation.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:41 PM
944 Hooligan
Racer

just a quick addition to the helmet shopping list.

arai makes different shell shapes for different head shapes. so, if you try on the quantum and you find that it has pressure points, try on one of the other models like the signet or the astral.

i am pretty sure shoei does the same but not to the extent of that arai products.

kbc also makes a really nice lid for lots less than shoei or arai and the quality is actually very high.

Quick Reply: semi-ot: yamaha motorcycle