Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust air fuel mixture?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 02:17 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How to adjust air fuel mixture?

I know there is an adjustment on my maf I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to richen my car up a little. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

why do you want to richen it up? sorry just curious.

if you dont know alot about adjusting your fuel mixtures on fuel injected cars, i dont suggest it, until you read a tech manual about your car, so you make sure you know how to get it right.

you can play with it all you want, and if you dont know what to do/how to get the right mixture, you can seriously screw up the mixture, have the car running like ***, and perhaps eventually screw up your engine.

that being said, i suggest you read about how to balance/synch it up right for your car before you fiddle around, cause if you get in over your head, and you get so buggered up and lost on how to make it right, you might find yourself in some trouble.

sorry.. i know some people who didnt know what they were doing, and basically got so lost they couldnt get it back to even decent running condition, and dont wanna see anyone get into that kind of a mess. (although this was carbuteted with them.. but im sure alot of the same applies)
Old 11-04-2003, 04:09 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry, why are you awake at this hour?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:40 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

taking a break from an english paper... if you cant tell by what i said above.. im on auto pilot and im not making much sense anymore, as its all one big ramble and jumbbled up mess..

oh well, the sentament is the same.. (i just hope my paper looks better than my post)

actually i just finished it. i would work on it earlier in the evenings, but i work from 5-11 everynight.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Who are you, and where are you in Charoltte? Check out the post for Charlotte Beer Night. some of us are getting together on the 8th (Saturday) for some cook-out/beer/car talk and would love to have you join us.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't really adjust your A/F ratio anyway. Your O2 sensor will trim the mixture to stoichiometric (exactly the right amount of fuel for the air coming into the engine) regardless of your adjustments.

The adjustment is on the air flow meter. It's a allen-head set screw that's down in a little hole. It may have a plug on it to prevent tampering.

The adjustment only has effect at idle, and on a US car, for a few seconds before the engine starts using the O2 sensor.

For larger fueling adjustments at full throttle, you need a rising-rate or adjustable fuel pressure regulator. It'll only do anything at full throttle, though, again because the O2 sensor will trim the mixture back to stoichiometric regardless of how you futz with the fuel pressure (unless you exceed the computer's ability to compensate). At full throttle the O2 sensor is ignored.

Bryan
Old 11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey, thanks for the advice I am planning on coming to the beer night. So I guess I will see you guys there.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bryan

The adjustment is on the air flow meter. It's a allen-head set screw that's down in a little hole. It may have a plug on it to prevent tampering.

For larger fueling adjustments at full throttle, you need a rising-rate or adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Bryan

Both of these methods are band-aid solutions and are not advised. What you probably need to do is state your objectives and the mods on your car. You'll also be better off posting this in the 951 forum.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Bryan is right, the O2 sensor will correct your fuel/air mixtures. The afm and O2 work in correlation with eachother. The only way to really bypass the correction would be to chip your car (from what I've heard chips are not a real good idea.) Unless you can bolt up a mass flow sensor, adjustable FPR, and do a chip than you can fully tune your air/fuel ratios to your satisfaction. Of course it may get a little pricey.

Start with an adjustable FPR if you are a beginner. Besure to do some research on the ratios on your car too.... good luck

Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you chip it, some chips ignore input and just use a set mixture... just an idea

Quick Reply: How to adjust air fuel mixture?