Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance 944 Transport

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long distance 944 Transport

I need to tansport my non-running 944 from Eugene, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada. U-Haul will not rent me either a tow trailer or a tow dolly. They say my car is too low to be put on either.

I know that is not true with a tow dolly...that's how I got it to Eugene from Albany, Oregon...but there is no convincing U-Haul.

I have also tried having it carried by commercial auto transport companies, but they will not even respond to my requests for a price when they find out the car is not running. Guess they are too lazy to hook up a come-along to load it onto their trailers.

Does anyone have any practical ideas of how to get this vehicle to Las Vegas?

Sure would appreciate some good advice...

Canuck
Old 11-03-2003, 04:45 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Go to another U-Haul and tell them it's a different car.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,
SoCal is right.

Couple weekends ago a 944-spec driver spun a rod bearing. He had driven to the track in the car so had no trailer. He got a ride home and rented a standard u-haul car trailer. We pushed his car on and he was good to go.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Melchior
Pro

I rented one from U-Haul and found out that they have two models for the type that are drive-on. You need the later type in order to fit the vehicle since their older model will not accomodate low sitting vehicles.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
kinda5150
Racer

i rented a trailer from penske, they didn't even ask what it was for so long as i was paying for it. i say push the sucker on the trailer as far as possible. the ***-along built on the front of it only goes so far.....don't think it's long enough to stretch all the way to the back. not to mention, don't know what the heck you would attach it to underneath the front end anyway.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Go to a different UHaul dealer. I use UHaul frequently to tow 924s and 944s, never had a problem. I often use a board or two on the ground to ensure the spoiler doesn't scrape on the way up/down, simply a precaution.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Canuck
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies.

I am surprised that both Penske and U-Haul rented auto transporters to you guys so easily. Penke's web-site says they will not rent a tow dolly unless it is to be towed by one of their trucks. U-Haul's website absolutely refuses to even consider towing a 944 on their equipment, either trailer or dolly.

I will try some different U-Haul dealers in person and see what happens. If I don't score there, I'll try to find a Penske franchise somewhere near Eugene.

As to where to hook up a come-along on the front of a 944, my car came from the factory with two front tow hooks, so guess I'd hook the come-along to one of those.

If neither further personal contact wth Penske or U-Haul works, I have got one more option just received. A friend in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho went down to his local rental place this morning to see what they had available. They knew of an outfit in Harrisburg, Oregon, which happens to have a tilt-flat-bed trailer "just sitting around" which is big enough for my car and small enough to be towed by a pickup. So they called them to make sure it was still available, and we may be able to work something out there. It is an extra 60 miles each way from Eugene to Harrisburg, but I do have to get this car to Vegas to get another engine stuffed into it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Canuck
Old 11-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Beagle512
Intermediate

I rented a full tow trailer from penske for mine, they didn't have a problem with it.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:55 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to u-haul tell them you are towing a geo metro, they wont ask another question, i have towed many 924/944 cars and this always worked for me.

Mark
Old 11-04-2003, 03:25 AM
Canuck
Intermediate

Thanks again guys.

Turns out not all U-Haul franchisees give a dang about U-Haul corporate policy. There are 6 U-Haul dealers locally.

The fourth one I called said "Sure. Got a transporter coming in next week on a one way drop-off. If you want it, it'syours. If you throw a couple of 2x6's in the bottom, even the older ones will work for a Porsche, 'cause the car will then sit up high enough to clear all the air dams..."

So, sounds like this is gonna work. If you guys hadn't told me your experiences, I'd have just taken their web-site's word for it.

Thanks again, a heap. Guess I'll be on the road to 'Vegas next week. Pray for no snow in the passes over the Sierras. <g>

When I get my car back, I'll show you a pic of it with the nice new LT-1 in place of the old 4-banger.

Canuck

- Maroon early '85 944 - Monster gas shocks, all sorts of other suspension improvements, ALL the factory extras, less than 100-K.

Quick Reply: Long distance 944 Transport