Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 508 Posts

^^ i think you've just got bad luck...
i'm still on the same set of zimmerman rotors from 2005/6 and 50-60k miles and 2 sets of pads...
rotors dont really warp, they just get uneven deposits of pad material. maybe your sliding calipers are sticking?

dont know about fan switch problems either, im on #2 since 2006. only replaced first one because i wanted the fans to come on sooner because i lived in a hot area...that was probably 2009.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:02 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dmjames
Here's the noise, for the record, and I swear it's actually at least twice as loud as it comes across in the video... https://goo.gl/photos/qkXsJ7TtiFV5SPCg8
Mine definitely didn't sound like that. No whine. It was more like taking a heavy rope and whipping it around inside a plastic bucket.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
But removing the gauges is a 5-minute job in an early car...
You're right V2. It took 5 minutes to get all the tools ready, and then 20 minutes to carefully pull the gauges.

It was not possible to unhook the cable from below. There's a metal shroud that encloses it all. I tried.

Originally Posted by odonnell
I ended up tying a string to the end of mine as a guide, you're going to have to get your head under the steering column and face up to see it.
Thanks for the string tip odonnell (sausagewhacker). I might have just yanked it out thinking it would go back in easy. Wrong! There's a couple of bad paths it can take. My string almost wore through going over the sharp metal corners guiding it back in.

I pulled the cable out from the firewall and held it up straight, and then poured oil down it. Then spun the driver wheel until it all worked down in the cable. Repeated that a few times.

The hardest part was getting the speedometer cable back through the firewall. It would help to have two people for this part. I found I pushed it in too far in some places and had to be pulled back several times until it found the right path.

The whole job took 2 hours and the sound is gone! And all my turn signals and wiper positions still work. And the clamshells are still in one piece! We'll see how long this fix lasts. Otherwise I'll just have to buy a new cable and repeat this miserable job.

Quick Reply: Speedometer cable