Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 turbo black for sale on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:37 PM
elanman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo black for sale on Ebay

Hi All

Anyone know anything about the EBay sale of the 1987 black 944 T in Pleasanton ,California?

I am UK based and interested in the car.Not worried about mechanicals I can do all of it myself (and yes it would cost a lot but that is the point of the project).Interior is a wreck as well but I can cope with that !

How can I tell which state in the US the car was from ? The overriding concern is the bodywork i.e. buying a car that is rusty(I know they don't rust much as I have an 83 NA in the UK which has been used thru many salty winters )

Car is not for retail sale in California which means first registered in another state.but which one

Is it possible to tell from VIN,dealership first delivered to ?

VIN is WP0AA2951HN152153

R
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you paid for a Carfax report on this VIN, it should show the history of the are including where it was purchased and the previous states where it was registered.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM
elanman
Advanced

Default Carfax on 944T

Seller shows carfax on Ebay but chooses not to show that part and claims not to know origin of car

In US can a car be put back on the road if badly damaged i.e. after "total" in an accident.UK has categories that must be crushed, only the 2 light damage categories can be repaired and put back on the road.Obviously if you crash the car into a tree and no third party is injured and you don't make a claim you can repair the car without it ever being listed as written off. Is this the same in US?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:07 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Curious about your reasons for buying a car in the US and shipping it to the U.K. Surely the VAT plus 10% customs charge and the shipping combined would be more than that car is worth. Also, wouldn't a LHD car cost much more to insure in the U.K.?

However, to answer your questions. The car could have been wrecked and retitled but that would show on the Carfax. To be certain you have to pay for your own Carfax using the VIN you have. Also, the car might have been wrecked and "self-repaired" as you suggest. There is no way of finding that out unless you inspect the car and that would mean you would have to arrange for a ppi to be done here.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Also, wouldn't a LHD car cost much more to insure in the U.K.?
I wouldn't think so, there are quite a few LHD cars running around the UK these days and certain models were never produced RHD.

The car could have been wrecked and retitled but that would show on the Carfax.
It would be great if that were universally true but sadly a lot of stuff gets missed by Carfax, especially for incidents that happened years ago.
Add to that the complication of certain states that either used to or still have loopholes that permit types of "title washing".
Old 12-06-2016, 10:43 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
I wouldn't think so, there are quite a few LHD cars running around the UK these days and certain models were never produced RHD...
Things must have changed. When I imported my LHD Ur-Quattro into the U.K. in the 80's I was killed by insurance. They said it was a higher risk due to being LHD, reasoning was that it was difficult to see past cars ahead of you when overtaking on the right in a LHD car. Go figure!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Things must have changed. When I imported my LHD Ur-Quattro into the U.K. in the 80's I was killed by insurance. They said it was a higher risk due to being LHD, reasoning was that it was difficult to see past cars ahead of you when overtaking on the right in a LHD car. Go figure!
Could be.
I own a RHD car and I can confirm that the corollary is also true.
Making left turns against opposing traffic can be especially tricky.
OTOH, going through a drive-through window backwards is often entertaining for all involved.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:02 PM
elanman
Advanced

Default Carfax

So Carfax is not infallible! As I thought just like the UK system
Reason to buy:
The RHD car has a bar operating the master cylinder-laughable-joke engineering. Didn't even change hood pull on my NA
You can't drive any car in the UK no matter where you are siting, middle(sadly no F1 in the collection), left or right. Speed cameras and traffic density. When you can Scotland and Wales it makes no difference as the roads are deserted(try Loch Torridon)You can't pay VAT twice, cars built in European union have zero VAT when returning home. Insurance has to be the same LH and RH ,thank the European union. And the best roads in Europe are half an hour through a tunnel and they drive on the wrong side! Vmax in Germany without concern. Shipping insignificant if you share container or drive to NY and ship on RORO ship. Cali car no rust or limited
But I need to hurry we just scored best own goal and left EU
Old 12-07-2016, 09:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

If you are serious about exporting one you should also look for cars in South Florida. Plenty here and we are also a no rust zone plus shipping from Miami should be cheaper than from California. I may be able to help you look at prospects or arrange for a ppi depending where the car is located and my schedule.

You should double check the VAT situation though as we do not have VAT in the US, so no VAT would have been due or paid on the car, so it might be due for the first time when you import it. The customs duty is 10% in the UK iirc on top of the VAT if you have to pay that.

RORO is relatively cheap, however make sure you take lots of pictures, itemize everything and pay for insurance. They just steal everything at the docks here, even if it's bolted on. Dock workers have the best tools and equipment and I've heard of complete engines being removed! Container is best if funds permit. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:54 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by elanman
The RHD car has a bar operating the master cylinder-laughable-joke engineering. Didn't even change hood pull on my NA
You just described my RHD car (VW, though). Goofy double-bell-crank brake pedal to MC contraption seems to work well enough though. They didn't change anything more than really necessary. Surprised the wipers are even reversed because it meant a different cowl panel, but assume it was because the UK required it.

Did Brexit affect any of the Insurance or VAT policies?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:18 PM
elanman
Advanced

No it has to be Cali car .Done it a few times, drove across the top via Yellowstone, Montana, Dakotas etc to New England and shipped from NY
I would never buy a car from Florida generally it would have to be in a controlled atmosphere, Cars from Cali a legendary my 78 SC Cali has no rust never been painted and has half a million miles on it(never comes out when roads are salted
RORO has never been a problem plenty of guys where I work do it and have never had a problem. Remove the obvious loose stuff but we has all our bags from the 4 week drive in the SC and they turned up untouched
The Ebay 44 is still there though I fear I may have to rebuild the engine on the trip across(did the chain tensioners in Bozeman on the SC)
Nothing has changed yet re Brexit ! No VAT it is the law
Also possibility of zero duty into UK if you can prove car is of unique interest/So just the shipping- There may be a gold rush ! LOL
Old 12-12-2016, 04:54 PM
elanman
Advanced

Default Pleasanton California- nr San Fran

Can anyone recommend a PPI around the area or take a look for me ? Will cover costs etc

Just interested if car was crashed or significant body damage. Mechanical stuff I can cope with

Quick Reply: 944 turbo black for sale on Ebay