Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 AM
clawless
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 968 Keyless Entry

Hi All,

I search and searched and couldn't find a specific post on the wiring for a 968 central locking and how to integrate keyless entry. Sorry if this is a duplicate post

I'm working on a 94 US speck. I finally figured it out this evening with the help of these posts, not all the wires identified in these were correct for the 968:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-95-993-a.html

and

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...k-release.html

I am just doing locks, no hatch, although I am kinda thinking I should have, too late now as the unit I got does not support it.

The lock module and the alarm are integrated. It has a 928 xxx part number and it looks to be in several models. The module is located under the passenger floorboard carpet. It has 2 connectors, a black one and a yellow one, you will need to tap into wires in both connectors. I used tap connectors that accept a space connector.

Black harness:

Red/White stripe +12v
Brown (right next to the red/white) -12v

Yellow Harness:

Brown/Green Stripe ground for lock
Brown/Red Stripe ground for unlock

My yellow harness has 2 brown/green wires however I didn't see 2 Brown/Red ones, although I didn't look to hard for a second one. I will look again tomorrow.

Depending on how you remote box works, 2 of its wires had to be grounded to pass that ground signal through.

I also hooked up the turn signal flash to the hazard light switch.

From its plug, its the green and the black/brown wires.

I removed the glovebox and that gave me plenty of room to work and route the wires and mount the box. Be sure to remove the glovebox light or it will be sheered off when it pops free and cost you about $50 to replace (ask me how I know ).

Locking it with the remote does not enable the alarm. You will need to use the key to activate it if desired.

--clawless

1994 968 tip
Old 11-29-2016, 03:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think there is a way to get the keyless entry system to arm the alarm. There was a write-up somewhere but I haven't read it in a loooong time. Maybe you have to connect the lock signal directly to a door lock.

I chose a Bulldog unit, as that was the popular one with 968 guys 10 years ago. It's still sitting on my shelf... maybe I'll install it someday...
Old 11-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes you hook up the keyless module to the power lock module. It's pretty easy.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
clawless
Track Day

Ill have too look a little harder, I found a post where a guy hooked up something to the micro-switches in the door to activate the alarm. I believe it was a 7volt system / connection. I am not that dedicated and don't want to take the door panel off if I can help it, don't want to damage it. If there is a way to active it without going into the door, I'd take it.

--clawless

1994 968 tip
Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the bulldog system years ago using instructions from 968engineering.com.

Their web site isn't there anymore, but I saved a .pdf copy. If anybody needs it, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

There is a wire bundle in the harness (near the DME) where you can wire into the central locking. It's easy-peasy. Nice color photos and clear instructions. Even goes into how to wire in the hatch release with an additional relay (you end up need to run a wire back to the hatch area to make that work though...)
Old 11-29-2016, 11:51 PM
clawless
Track Day

Well its done. I did a little more digging and there there is one wiring change, using the Brown/White stripe wire in the yellow harness for the lock signal also arms the alarm.

And the green and brown/black wires for the parking lights looks to be in the yellow harness as well, however there isn't much room for t-taps without unwrapping a lot of the harness, so I'm glad I went with the hazard light switch tap in.

All told it took a few hours and I only broke 1 thing.

Id love to see those directions, PM sent - Thank you!

--clawless

1994 968 tip

Quick Reply: 968 Keyless Entry