Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with ideas on extracting a broken hex bit from cam assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 PM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help needed with ideas on extracting a broken hex bit from cam assembly

I was in the process of removing the hex bolts that secure the cam assembly to the head. I got about halfway done with removing the bolts inside the cam housing when all of a sudden my hex bit sheared off inside one of the bolts. I have thought about this for a few days now and I am at a loss for how I'm going to get the broken hex bit out of the bolt and out of the cam housing. I tried reaching it with a magnet but it is too tight in the bolt to come free.

Has anyone had this issue before or does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to get this broken hex bit out of the bolt and cam housing so I can finish removing the assembly?

Any help or ideas is much appreciated...
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very long locking needle nose pliers, IF you were lucky enough to have it not break flush with the head. If it is flush, get some cobalt drill bits and be prepared to center punch the tool and drill it out. If you break a drill bit off in the tool steel, or if you just don't have time for ruining your drill bits against hardened tool steel; that I can confirm a cutoff wheel is a quick way to remove a cam tower.

Quick Reply: Help needed with ideas on extracting a broken hex bit from cam assembly