Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bursch Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bursch Headers

Recently diagnosed an apparent exhaust leak, and it turns out there's a fairly large crack in the 1-4 exhaust manifold. Stainless replacements are hard to find, and I didn't like the idea of backdating to the cast iron version. Then I spotted a local Craigslist ad for misc 944 parts.

There was a picture in the ad for some kind of aftermarket headers, and I'm pretty sure they're Bursch. Called the guy up and he wasn't sure, but the asking price is pretty reasonable. I'm picking them up this weekend.

Name:  4dYsaHg.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  85.2 KB

Does anybody have any experience with these with the stock catback? How's the noise level? Build quality? I'm not expecting much in the way of performance gains, especially since my intake and the rest of the exhaust are all stock (for now, at least). Also, I have a spare roll of exhaust wrap. Would it be at all beneficial to wrap the headers? Or would that only make them more prone to cracking?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:14 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look just like my headers!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../105890/page7/

Previous pages in that thread document my Adventures In Exhaust. Here, Here, Here and Here.

I think they sound like poo, even after repairing them, but I've also been told, "that's what 944's sound like." As long as they're in one piece, I'm not going to complain. It's a track car.

Also, don't use caliper paint on your headers. It'll burn right off. :-)

Last edited by CrookedRacer; 11-15-2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: pic add
Old 11-15-2016, 05:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I'd like to get a set of those (like the ones I sold last year ) but modify so that they stay as 2 collector pipes rather than merging into a single to fit the stock system.

I think that could sound cool..
Old 11-15-2016, 05:39 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

So to give you my overall impression of the headers, though, I don't know how much they're asking but I wouldn't pay a lot for a questionable set of these headers. They'll last you maybe a couple years if you're lucky, and you'll have to fix them.

I don't know how old mine are but they came with the car, they looked like your picture, and they probably already had weak points, if not holes.

If you're taking off that test pipe and using your OEM cat + resonator, it might actually sound a lot better than mine does.

So if you can get them for cheap, and you're handy with a welder or you know someone who can weld thin wall tubing, then it might be worth it.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CrookedRacer
So to give you my overall impression of the headers, though, I don't know how much they're asking but I wouldn't pay a lot for a questionable set of these headers. They'll last you maybe a couple years if you're lucky, and you'll have to fix them.

I don't know how old mine are but they came with the car, they looked like your picture, and they probably already had weak points, if not holes.

If you're taking off that test pipe and using your OEM cat + resonator, it might actually sound a lot better than mine does.

So if you can get them for cheap, and you're handy with a welder or you know someone who can weld thin wall tubing, then it might be worth it.
He's only asking $75. For that price, I'll take a gamble. We don't see a whole lot of rust up here in the PNW, so assuming the donor car has lived most of its life in the region, I'm not too concerned. I'm not a welder myself, but I have a coworker who used to be a professional. I'm sure I could get him to do some freelance work for me if necessary.

I think I will stick with the OEM cat/resonator, assuming the cat isn't too clogged. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Buthter
Intermediate

By the way, nice build thread, CrookedRacer. Makes me want to get out on the track.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Thanks!

For $75 I would probably take that bet too.

Quick Reply: Bursch Headers