Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone here still own their original 944 Purchased new ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Does Anyone here still own their original 944 Purchased new ?

I don't expect there to be many of us, but if you still have your first love, post a few images of it and tell us your story ~

Mine came to me in July of 1984 after a very long wait, with money down, on a list, and with money 'over' MSRP to the dealership

seen here in my yard before cleanup, driving thru Yellowstone National Park with friends, and at Road America on the hill under the Oaks, overlooking turn 5.
It has been a VERY faithful friend. Ran for 6 years on highspeed DE and Autocrosses @ a local road course, taken to 4 Porsche Parades and competed at Autocross, driven on many cross country trips over the 32 years of ownership. Shown it at more than a few Porsche shows....

I LOVE this sportscar !

Old 11-05-2016, 03:04 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Still has all it's original interior and the special ordered Blaupunkt upgraded speakers with built in tweeter. ( VERY rare )
The original carpeting and rear deck carpet have never even been cleaned ( only vacuumed ), and the original air compressor fitted to this car as seen in the hatch with a Halon fire extinguisher custom mounted into the rear seat backing.

Also seen here with it's nearly two year earlier built buddy ( made in July 1982 ) which also came with FUCHS but in 16 inch, black sport seats, LSD, and Sport Suspension. Just like the one I ordered out new, but bought about 10 years ago and added to the group.

My original car and subject of this post, came with both 15 inch Cookie Cutters by ATS and 7 and 8 inch by 15 FUCHS. I added the road wheels made by TSW to 'square' it up ( 8 by 16 ) and mount up highway tires for long distance running. The others carry stickier and much less long lasting rubber, good for track use or autocrosses.

( by the way, the roadside safety triangle and black plastic air compressor are for the white '86 normal as seen in my avatar, and were only in this photo for purposes of placing this image on a post made earlier this summer on that particular 944 )
Old 11-05-2016, 03:19 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

not me. i was 6 when my car was born.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Me neither I'm my 84's second caretaker I think there are a few of us here that were number two in line.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice car there MGJ.

I remember considering buying one when they came out. Went to test drive one and wasn't that impressed. They were selling for around $20k, which was a lot back then. All the other new sports cars were at $13k. It wasn't a real Porsche and didn't seem worth the extra money. I remember how the 914 was received for not being a real Porsche and didn't want to have that stigma. It was 911 or nothing.

Then later I heard about the timing belt and water pump problems and was glad I didn't buy one. My friend got a 944 turbo when they came out, but it was eh, just ok. I bought a 911 and had that for a while, then sold it.

It took me another 10 years before I was brave enough to try a 944. I'm glad I did! I actually think it drives better than a 911 of the same era. Maybe not as exciting, but more comfortable and practical. Now I have two. I don't really care anymore that it's not a real Porsche. It seems like one to me.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:41 PM
jollyted
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm one! Original owner that is...

Bought my 86 944 N/A new in 1986. She still runs great. 180,000+ miles. Getting ready to do complete engine service work, interior restoration and then probably paint. The Zermatt Silver clear coat is gone. Will probably do some suspension work to. I'm sure I'll find lots more to work on while i'm in there!

The key to longevity with these cars is staying on top of the maintenance, what else is new, LOL.

Love this car. She's my baby!

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
not me. i was 6 when my car was born.
My car was 10 when I was born...
Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the compliments guys; Thanks for your posts !

Glad there is at least one more original Owner.... I know there's more, as I've met some of you guys on other forums and at events around the country.

I ordered mine in '83, having read many of the published reports coming from Europe on how great they were. Road tests gave them raving reviews; the wider body was enchanting.

And they ARE a real Porsche ! Utilizing 1/2 the V/8 engine of the 928, they were @ the time the largest 4 cylinder normally aspirated engine built; in a slant four having torque not previously available with an economic return in fuel mileage like they reward their owners.

I was smitten and put down my deposit and got on a list at 3 dealerships. I had just recently gotten out of college and felt I was 'on my way' financially, but this big decision weighed heavily on my nerves. This was a big step with large money changing hands.

I paid nearly $28,000 with the deposit becoming the non refundable 'dealer add or markup'.( MSRP was nearly 27 with my option choices.) Nearly every dealer was doing this add-on with these cars which couldn't be built fast enough. Demand exceeded supply and folks waited from 6 mos to nearly 2 years depending on what populace you lived in and how you played the dance with your dealer. Same thing goes on today getting a GT3 or RSR, or any Ferrari. Sometimes for any high performance car like a Vette, Shelby, or Camaro.

Granted most of our cars were built in Neckarsulm, lending to the 'not a real Porsche' thought. Water cooled not air cooled like flat sixes in 911s. Were the later produced Boxsters and Caymans thought of this way since they were water cooled and made in Finland ? 356s since they came from Drauz, Reutter, as well as Stuttgart ? Or 550s from Wendler ? And using VW componentry ?

No. Any Porsche built with the factory's blessing and wearing their nameplate IS a Porsche. Even the 914 which got built by Karmann or by Porsche in Stuttgart; one for the fours, the other for the sixes. Marketing in Europe identified them as VW- Porsche, but here in America they were ALL marketed as Porsches, just like the 924 and 931 which was made in Neckarsulm by Audi.

I'm good with that.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

DLarsen from PA., show us your photos of your original, sunroof delete '86 you ordered out new ~

That 944 you have loved and taken such great care of. Garaged and caressed with love when not driving it every chance you get.

I LOVE it's perfectly preserved pinstripe interior !
Old 11-06-2016, 06:07 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's some pictures from 1986. Remember back then, no digital cameras, no IPhones.....just film. The quality of the transfers to the computer are not that great. I didn't take a lot of pictures of my 944 back then. No interior shots, no engine bay shots, just exterior. Note the OEM tires - Dunlop's. I put the Turbo size rims on my car a few years after buying, 16" phone dials. I think the 16" wheels look better than 15".
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Flashback to 1986
Attached Images      
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

More recent............
Attached Images    
Old 11-06-2016, 09:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Simply SPECTACULAR !

WoW ~~~~~
Old 11-07-2016, 11:37 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

DLarsen

I notice on your Monroney window sticker, the base price began at 24,500.00.

This was over 3,000 more than where my '84 based at by mid 1984: 21,200.00. In TWO years time it had risen that much......, with another price jump made shortly before my car was built, and as the first '85.1 cars were made, yet again.

My '82 built Guards Red shows a base of 18,100.00; the intro price being a relative bargain then as the final Audi engine 924s made their exit in North America at around the same price as the new Porsche engined, wide body 944 came along.

Today looking back, it amazes me how fast the price creep ratcheted upward..... and by '89-90, turbo version 951 models were selling over 50,000.00 and normally aspirated cars at the high 30 mark. Prices spiraled higher and volume sold sank lower. What difficult times for Porsche.

Then we have today where vehicles (ratty, needy types ) are trading for several hundreds ( I bought a nice car for 575.00 that runs well yet today, and another for 1500.00, which was twice as desirable in options and twice as nice cosmetically. Really great cars with insanely low miles are trading for 15 to 28,000. Today's money. Convert those figures to yesteryear's value on the dollar and great cars are still a very good bargain.

Thanks for showing us that great 944 in such good care. It heartens me there are folks such as you, who have so loved their cars they drive them great distance and they still look like new. How did you resist the siren's song and not trade it in on another car ? (remembering that temptation well, when my local salesman was offering me a great deal on a new Boxster, and again on a new 911.... and SO glad in retrospect, turning that offer down and instead buying several more 944s, a vintage Carrera, and an '89-951)
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mrgreenjeans
How did you resist the siren's song and not trade it in on another car ? (remembering that temptation well, when my local salesman was offering me a great deal on a new Boxster, and again on a new 911.... and SO glad in retrospect, turning that offer down and instead buying several more 944s, a vintage Carrera, and an '89-951)
I have a very different perspective on this, having only owned my car for 16 months, but I have a hard time believing I'd want to trade it for anything.

Since buying my '83, I've test driven several different Caymans, and though they are quite tempting, and performance-wise, probably the best cars I've ever driven, I'm always happier sitting back down in my car after a test drive. I'm very particular about the controls of a car, and the manual steering rack, solid shifter, deliberate brakes, and familiar clutch and gas pedal just feel better to me than the Cayman's controls. I also truly love the fact I can push my engine up towards redline in 2nd on a regular basis and not feel like I'm driving in a manner most would deem reckless, or law enforcement might take issue with. Then there's the fact I can fit a guitar or two and a beast of an amplifier in the back, a mountain bike (wheels removed, of course, and with plenty of protection for the interior), or plenty of things for a week long trip.

Recently, a family member bought a beautiful '87 Carrera, and I adore the way that car drives. Having occasional access to it only makes it harder to wait to get one of my own, particularly as every time I drive it, the steering feedback speaks more clearly to me, I know how to rev-match with that gearbox just that much better, etc. I'm sure most here are familiar with just how amazing a driving experience an old 911 is. But I still wouldn't trade my 944 for one. I use the glorious hatch space just a bit too much for a 911 to serve as a daily for me, without having to get another less characterful car for utilitarian duties. For long trips, the foot rest and seating position of the 944 make it much more relaxing. It's the only car I've driven for 7 hours straight, gotten out of, and immediately contemplated taking out for another drive. The chassis and steering talk to me in a way that keeps me focused, as the 911 does, but in a way that's more subtle. I'll admit, maybe that's just ~11,000 miles more experience with the 944, but it can be a relaxing or invigorating vehicle, depending on where I decide to keep the revs. I haven't experienced the same perfect balance in any other car yet.

I'm not saying I don't love the Cayman or 911, I'd take either/both in a heartbeat, but I haven't driven or heard of another car I'd buy to replace the 944. It just does everything I need and want from a daily driver perfectly, and I haven't encountered a better car for my needs. Anyway, I was born too late to buy new, but I can't see ever getting rid of it. I can only see buying more 944s.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone here still own their original 944 Purchased new ?