Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free to a good (?) home

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Free to a good (?) home

I have all the parts (i think) to an automatic transmission for an 87 NA. This includes the trans which is condition unknown (i bought the car for the body) the torque tube (damper is destroyed) Torque tube support brace, Transmission mounting bar (not sure the right name but its what the trans hangs from) oil cooler lines all the way to the radiator, Shifter and linkage. If we can figure out shipping they are free. If you live in Houston Texas, feel free to pick them up. In two weeks I'll take them to the scrap yard. Porsche should have never made an automatic anyway.

As an aside, this is part of my conversion of an auto to a manual. Its been interesting so far. Worst part has been removing my script handles from the wreck to install on the new body. I'm sure that I'll come across worse. But if your interested, here's the status

The wrecked car has been totally stripped, inside and out. I have parts everywhere. The Auto-trans (car to be converted) has had the interior stripped, the trans and torque tube pulled and the engine is ready to come out. Currently flushing the fuel tank and will install the screen, pump and filter from the wreck (it was in nice shape, had worked on it a lot.)

Next step will be maintenance on the engine going in; water pump, belts, AOS seals. I'm pretty sure the clutch is still good, I have a few millimeters of material to the rivits, but will polish the fork pin and replace the fork pin bearings. Engine mount were nearly brand new OEM's.

BTW, if anyone is going to drop the rear end to remove the torque tube, do yourself a favor and put the wheels back on it and then lower the torsion tube onto a 4 wheel dolly (like the ones from HF). Made it really easy to move around. If you do plan to remove the rear suspension totally, remember to pull the parking bake cable out. There is a bushing that slides inside the guide tube. get it loose by twisting then pull it straight out. Makes a hard job a bunch easier.

That's it for now - going back to the A&M - Alabama game. Looks painful so far for A&M

Bill
Old 10-23-2016, 03:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lynch
BTW, if anyone is going to drop the rear end to remove the torque tube, do yourself a favor and put the wheels back on it and then lower the torsion tube onto a 4 wheel dolly (like the ones from HF). Made it really easy to move around. If you do plan to remove the rear suspension totally, remember to pull the parking bake cable out. There is a bushing that slides inside the guide tube. get it loose by twisting then pull it straight out. Makes a hard job a bunch easier.
I took out the rear suspension once, and it was a real bear. I struggled with wood planks and jack stands... I have to do it again soon (on another car) and your tips will help me a lot - thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Here is a picture of the removed rear end
Old 10-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Hmmm - seems that my attempt to post a picture from my phone kinda failed. Here is pic of my set up for moving around the rear suspension and BTW the small dolly (12 x 18)from HF is perfect for moving around the trans. I also found the the small rollers under the tires make the whole unit a bit more maneuverable
I will be starting a separate thread to document my auto to manual conversion.

Quick Reply: Free to a good (?) home