Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to Manual Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto to Manual Conversion

A while back my 87 NA was totaled due to a front end collision. Basically it pushed the nose over by about 30+ degrees. Rather than scrap it out, I looked around for awhile and bought a car that had a decent body but was DOA. Well all that I could find cheap (around $500) was an 87 Auto. So I bought it and brought it home. The Flex damper was shredded and the PO had tried to fix it, but I think only made some things worse (like stripping the threads in the swing arm for the shock mount). So I have started the conversion. I completely stripped the wreck because I had done a lot of work to it and it drove great and the interior was very nice (excellent script seats). The new car is now nearly stripped also. I posted a thread a couple days ago for a free auto drive line. I actually have a taker on Craigslist. Hope somebody can get some use out of it.

Before installing the engine I've decided to change the water pump, belts, front and rear seals, AOS seals. I had done the oil cooler already and replaced the engine mounts so no need to repeat those. I'm going to post some pictures along the way because I owe my courage to try this to the labors of the guys who have posted their experiences here previously. So first Here is the rear suspension on the ground. This set up makes it very easy to move around. Also the little 12 x 18 dolly from HF works great for the trans.

I am about to finish replacing the fuel pump, and fuel lines. I spent yesterday flushing the fuel tank and testing the sender. This is from the sender hole looking down on the strainer. BTW the plastic nut holding the sender in was a real pain to remove. I took a prybar which fit between the raised nubs and tapped on it vigorously to get it to move. Patience pays off though.

Once the fuel pump is in I'll start disassembly of the water pump. Since the engine is out I improvised a flywheel lock out of a metal brace from an old fence door. this will allow me to remove the crank bolt and pulley

Well time to quit watching football and get back to the project - the fuel pump is calling.

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual Conversion