Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the problem with the fitment. I dont have glass skills myself but I have a car worth testing. I would think the covers would have to be vacuum formed. My idea for mounting lights would be to use a dual projector setup similar to a 3000GT (didnt the 924GTR use a rectangular light?) I have no need for covers etc. Just want to remove the motors, etc. I will try to make some sort of design out of carboard and see what I come up with. With all the parts I have been ordering cardboard is something I have plenty of.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Flying V
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to help... Unfortunately, I live too far away! Wouldn't be a bad weekend drive, but I can't stay awake that long... unless I'm majorly exceeding the posted limits.

I would experiment with different light setups before building for cosmetics. The 6 x 4 lights that I tried have the majority of their projection pattern low on the lens. Setting the lights back into the recess cuts too much off in my opinion. Unless you find a smaller size that you can place higher.

After the sun goes down, I can try to take some photos of my light patterns and show how things look head-on at night. I also used separate lights so that I could aim the highs different from the lows.

Hope that helps...
Old 10-29-2003, 02:43 PM
Matt H
Race Director

V - what did you say your lights are from?

This is kind of what I am thinking. I am not sure if I want to see the brackets but if the lense was small enough you could mount a pair side by side.
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/600hid.html
Old 10-29-2003, 02:47 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be happy with the square lights like the original GTS/GTR is someone comes up with a nicer, cheaper mounting set up.

Tifo
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2003, 02:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, there are several old threads on this fixed headlight conversion and what to do about the lights you put in there. Maybe you can find them with the search option, but search usually doesn't work for crap for me.

What it all boils down to is how to get a decent headlight to fit in the available space and I don't think you can and maintain both a dipped and main beam. And I don't consider PIAA in the decent catagory. I haven't checked out all the new small sized products out there and how they perform lately.

When I last looked at this I was thinking about the E-Code Hella 90mm lenses which you can get in either halogen or HID versions. Problem is there is a seperate lens & housing for both dipped and main beams. With the mounting housing I don't think you can get two in that space without some major cutting and body work.

I gave up on it. But if your heart is really set on doing this I would go with the Hella 90mm in HID for dipped beam, which I know will fit, and just give up on having a main beam. Use bumper driving lights to replace the main beams. BTW, good luck on finding the HID 90mm light for low cost. They are going to be at least $200 each if you can find a good source in Europe; forget buying from Hella USA.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I need the dimensions of the lights and the area we would be working with. I talked to my f-i-l and he says he think he has an idea for mounting.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Ice - thanks for responding. I think that you know more about lights here than anyone else. I was working on asking for the dimensions when you posted that. I am not concerned about the high/low and I was thinking you could use the bumper driving lights if necessary. I dont do that much driving at night anyways. I know you are not a big PIAA fan but does anyonw else make an OK light in that form? Maybe not everyone who has responded wants to spend 400 bucks for headlights. Hell, I dont know maybe they do.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Flying V
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are simply after-market lights similar to the PIAAs. I've used their lights before (for off-road use) and have been happy with them... However, the units I had were too bright for highway use.

I was originally concerned with the "bouncing light" syndrome that was happening because of the mounting points on the 6x4s. The buckets are now bolted in three locations; two in front and top outside corner. The lights are secured to the buckets with an additional side bracket to stabilize them. I can take additional photos later...

Now that I'm happy with the results and I no longer have the annoying bouncing lights, I may upgrade the lights to a higher quality.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Matt, I think you need to make a cost/effort decision here. If you are willing to forgo a main beam then the Hella 90mm HID in dipped beam might be the thing to consider. Who cares if it costs $400 or more for the pair as this is a major project when you consider all the work you are going to be investing.

The other option would be to get the dipped beam in the E-Code halogen version, rewire the headlight system to get great voltage and run an overwatted bulb. I think you would be pleased with that and it would cost much less. You could probably find the halogen lenses for under $100 each.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I called PIAA and they were absolutely no help at all. Actually, kind of rude.

ICE - Where do you suggest we look for those lenses? I like the idea of the HID setup but I dont think I am willing to spend 1K in lights (add in the covers, might they melt BTW, the driving lights and buckets and fab and I think you would be at 1K) but I am willing to spend about as much as GT Racing charges to get it done right. What you are suggesting it no high beam.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the easiest fix would be the cheap one remove the lights and use fogs as driving lights...
Old 10-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I suppose until someone gets pissed at you for driving with death beams on and runs you off the road!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Oh yeah, it requires a new panel which will cost as much as the new lights would.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Matt, where to get E-Code halogen or E-Code HID?

You probably could get the E-Code halogens in North America from a Canadian source, since E-Code is legal nation wide up there, for a fairly decent price. There is a big dealer in, I think it was the Vancouver area that could get them. I'd have to check my old notes. I'm not sure about the E-Code in the US but could check with my lens supplier and see what she has to say about tracking them down now.

As far as the HID E-Code, there is a Jag retrofitter in the UK that has/had a direct contract negotiated with Hella Corporate and sells them for a song, well, relatively speaking. I think he wanted about $170USD per lens prior to the shipping and all. I forget if that price was if I bought them in bulk and what the bulk size was. But he would be the way to go, for sure. However, this is almost 2 year old sourcing research by now.

I don't get that high beam line question. Do you mean you would give up high beam? The answer is yes.

I don't know if heat would be an issue as I never got that far. You may have to make some venting arrangements to let it out.

I'm not surprised at your treatment by PIAA. They are a bunch of scam artists, not builders of fine lighting. Ask them for the tech testing specs on any of their bulbs - they won't give you a single drop other than bull****. Call Phillips/Narva or Osram/Sylvania and ask the same question and a fax of the testing info will show up on your machine within a day. And every reputable auto mag that isn't cowtowing to the advertising $ that has tested PIAA shows they are the *worst* bulbs around in the high volume catagory. Like much worse than stock bulbs the OEMs sell in their production cars. You can find some Asian crap that is even lower than PIAA but you have too look pretty far and wide to locate them.

I could sell PIAA stuff and make a bigger margin so really have no dog in the fight. But I certainly didn't like what I saw so wanted nothing to do with them.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I used their super whites on my Eclipse and have to say I agree, the light was colored but not brighter. The bulbs also burned out quickly.

Is their some kind of product code for the lenses? I.e. I am looking for lense 7401 or something? I would like to find a local "headlight" for purpose of fitment even if it wasnt used in the final kit.

With the HID-E you would need balasts, resistors and bulbs still, is that correct?

I am a huge Philips fan so I wouldnt mind using their bulbs.

Do you already have the wiring upgrades available as a kit? Is this something you think you want to get involved with? Maybe as a source for the lenses and bulbs and wiring?

Quick Reply: Fixed headlights?