Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Film on Glass & Body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:54 AM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film on Glass & Body?

I have noticed a film that has built up on two vehicles that I have purchased brand new -( A Ford and a Saab). I first noticed it on the glass but under closer inspection I see that it's also on the car finish itself. It's almost like an orange peel effect that seems to be etched into the surfaces.
I've tried all sorts of glass cleaners, polishing & rubbing compounds but nothing will take it out. The only thing that may have produced any results was a razor blade after working one area of a glass surface but it still did not remove it completely. Someone suggested an acid based cleaner called "Car Brite" but I haven't been able to find it in any stores.
I am on a well and septic system here and I wonder if it has anything to do with the water?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:02 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all brand new cars have a waxy type material sprayed onto all the body and glass.

this must be removed properly before being delivered to the customer,
if it doesnt you may get a film,

if it is a BRAND NEW car take it back to the dealer
Old 10-30-2003, 08:13 AM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

What I meant to convey was that I purchased these vehicles new back in 1999 and 1995 respectively and I have been the only owner.
These are not new vehicles now and are well past any warranty period.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:51 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

ok,
I cant see how "any" film can develope on glass as well as bodywork in that case, are you near the ocean ? (ie salt spray)

water ? mmm, assuming you rinse and then chamoise "dry" after you wash I cant see that,

sorry "bump"

take it to a professsional bodyshop for advice
Old 10-30-2003, 12:50 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I wonder about an acid rain condition. Check out other locals cars and see if they have the same finish problems. Guess you could also get your well water tested.

What you do about it to prevent in future is another question, short of moving.

When I was living in Chicago, after a few years I got these tiny white specks all over the horizontal surfaces of the car. At first I thought I must have driven past a bridge painting operation and picked up paint overspray. Nothing would remove these spots easy without melting the paint. Then I discovered the Clay Bar! Spots gone.

But after a few months the spots came back. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my 10 year old original paint finish.

I moved away from Chicago and the problem went away. So, your problem sounds like something in the local environment which is going to be tough to combat. But try a clay bar and see if that will remove what is on the cars. Then good wax jobs on the paint and RainX on the glass.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:23 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

What is Clay Bar and where can I find it?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

It is a lump of some sort of special clay. You spray on a lubricant, included in the package, and rub with the clay bar and off comes all the surface contaminents. It is pretty amazing.

You can get a package for under $20 at almost all retail auto stores or certainly at body shop suppliers. Brands are 3M, Mothers and Meguires to name a few.

Just go into a car supply store and they will know exactly what you are talking about.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:11 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Default Update

I had my water tested and it came up having about 5 grains of hardness. I am on a well and decided to buy a water softener to remove the hardness; that should remove the possibility of minerals and iron staining leaving a film on surfaces like my glass and fixtures.
I just finished the job and it wasn't too bad - took about 6 hours of crawling around under the house and fishing pex piping through the wall.

Quick Reply: Film on Glass & Body?