Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Minimalism and Stereo Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:24 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 951 Minimalism and Stereo Delete

Driving this afternoon I had finally had enough with the rattles and clunks going over rough patches of road. I got home, pulled up the rear carpet and removed all sorts of 80s gadgets that I didn't know were there...1986 jack, air compressor, tool roll, safety kit (reflectors). I then cleaned the area and snapped the carpet back into place - I left the original spare tire so as to not remove too much weight from the rear. Who needs all this junk when Hagerty provides 24/7 roadside service?

This minimalist approach got me thinking about my recent install...Blaupunkt Cupertino with matching speakers. I'm not in love with the look and I've found that I don't turn on the stereo 9/10 drives. Seriously considering a stereo delete.

Love the look and abundant storage of modern 911s with the stereo delete option (see below). 2 questions...

1. Will 2 944 DIN containers fit stacked on top of one another?
2. Does anyone know of a double din tray similar to the one below that would fit our 944s?

Old 09-25-2016, 01:42 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my non functioning stereo with a gauge panel for boost and ****, if you also replace the muffler with a straight pipe you'll never miss it!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So what you want to know is if another one of the under-radio storage bins will fit in place of the radio? Sorry, I don't have the answer, but I think it would fit. If anything, it would be a bit shorter in height than the opening for the radio.

Did your rattles go away with the cleaning of the trunk? The rattles that bug me the most are the sunroof creaking on driveway ramps, the center HVAC vent rattle on rough roads, and the hatch making a symphony of noises.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Yeah, essentially I'd put the same bin that's currently on the bottom on top as well. They are cheap enough so I'll give it a try and post pics. One single larger DIN would be preferred but haven't found any available options.

As for the rattles and squeaks it's been a work in progress:

Rear hatch - Replaced the seal with the one on only944.com, great fit. Also replaced the hatch pins and seats. Hatch is finally tight so no more road noise or leaking exhaust in the cabin. Still one rattle over larger bumps but maybe the glass is starting to separate?

Sunroof - constant squeaking. The headliner was starting to droop around the sunroof so I applied fabric adhesive which helped keep it from running against the sunroof. It's starting to get cooler so I put small cardboard strips between the sunroof and the body and that firmed things up.

As you mention there are so many rattles and creaks with these cars and they can really take away from the driving experience. All the vinyl makes noise with age, the heat vents drive my crazy. Did you find a solve for them?
Old 09-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the headunit with a gauge panel. i think 2 compartments might look odd.

If you use VDO gauges, it will give it a similar vibe to the early 944 or 924 interior.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:11 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with Pauly, the right looking VDO gauge looks period, if you're into that. How much storage do you need?
Old 09-25-2016, 01:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please sell me the reflectors, safety pkg., and plastic ground cloth if they are in good condition and you wish to. I will gladly add them to my one car which lacks them.

Was your car a 900 code tourist delivery unit ? ( as per the white build code tag ? ) These are usually the ones that got this kit in the hatch ........
Old 09-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Random question, did 944 cup cars with stereo delete still have speaker panels in the doors, just without the actual speakers installed? Or were they different panels altogether?

Definitely want to stay as period correct as possible which is probably why I want to remove the modern blaupunkt. I like the idea of it just being about the driving, no radio or modern functionality (Bluetooth etc). Plus, the stereo delete should get about 10 lbs out of the car. The VDO cluster does look great but not needed at the moment as the motor is completely stock.

Mrgreenjeans, appreciate the offer but I'll probably hang on to everything should I end up selling the car in the future. If I do part ways with it I'll shoot you a PM. All of the kits come in Porsche branded leather bags so I assume these came with the car in 86.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Bmuldoon, could you post a picture of your reflector set for reference? I picked up set but suspect mine came from a Mercedes. Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Bmuldoon, could you post a picture of your reflector set for reference? I picked up set but suspect mine came from a Mercedes. Thanks
No problem. I'll take a picture of all of the items I remove from under the rear carpet. Unfortunately I store the car about an hour outside of the city and won't be back to it until Friday. I'll post Friday evening.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
No problem. I'll take a picture of all of the items I remove from under the rear carpet. Unfortunately I store the car about an hour outside of the city and won't be back to it until Friday. I'll post Friday evening.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Brad Wright
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

944 Cup Cars had the same door panel with a speaker grill, but no speaker, and they had manual window cranks no power windows, and no door pockets....
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a part number for the block-off plate for stereo delete cars. Unfortunately, it was an easy upcharge so it's very rare to see these days. They are also NLA.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I think I'm headed in a direction of removing stock items that I don't use/need and when possible replacing with factory parts that would've been used on the cup car. Having a "correct" car is important so I'll save anything I remove should I want to go back. To that end, these modifications likely won't include changes to the engine but largely focus on weight reduction - somewhat of a stock/cup hybrid.

I'm going to start a spreadsheet that I'll post as an image when I'm done outlining weight reduction item by item.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas from the cup car

Rear wiper and motor delete
Remove misc. parts from spare wheel well
Remove front speakers
Remove rear speakers (a real PITA)
Remove head unit - looking for cup block off plate
Clubsport tray to replace armrest storage (available at Suncoast Porsche Parts)
Remove 50lb powered sports seats and replace with 15lb Recaro Profi)
Magnesium Phone Dial Wheels (I've been looking for a year but won't give up!)
Replace 43lb battery with 15lb Odysey PC680
AC Delete - condenser leaks anyways
Cup Doorcards with manual windows (won't hold my breath looking for these)

Quick Reply: 951 Minimalism and Stereo Delete